dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The latest comment, from a well known retailer in the USA, says the the Revolution should be available again within the next two to three months from a new owner. Whether it will feature upgrades and be available in the UK remains to be seen, but hopefully it will be as I know many folks have the REVO system in use on their railroads.
Ah that could be good news, after cleaning my Track for DCC running again the other day I am keen to go all Battery. However it must be that I can use existing Sound Chips, particularly in my Harz Railway kit. But I do not have too many issues about one or two other conversions I am thinking about.
JonD

Last edited:

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
The more Amps you have the less is the need for immaculate track, I have a 10 Massoth and its surprising what a difference it makes it say 2A

Reactions: 1 user
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I was involved in the first Revolutions, but not the sound units. I have a fair background in the behind the scenes stuff.

So, I am asking these questions to learn more here, don't take offense by my questions.

So Lewis decided to use "Phoenix style" modules? So you are stating that all the sounds from a Phoenix and the Revo are synthesized?

Let's start there.

Thanks, Greg

Over 70 UK and European sound files were available to Aristo-Craft before it became Crest and several new locomotive recordings were made on Aristo's behalf. Unfortunately Lewis decided upon a software architecture that could not be characterised to use any of them.

The opportunity was missed as Lewis made the decision to continue developing a 'Pheonix' style synthesised sound module that did not allow customised sounds from the UK, Europe or even the USA to be programmed. Not that the incumbent 'generic US diesel' had any character anyway. Recording a 'runby' outside Aristo-Crafts warehouse and then up and down sampling the speed of the recording with no startup or shutdown sequences, no changes in exhaust notes etc. etc. It simply did not even begin to stand up to the developments from Loksound, ZIMO and others at the time.

I'm real sorry that this product stops here, but when you have a dinosaur on your hands you have to realise it will die out sometime. I don't mean to be 'mean' here as I have integrated the Revolution's receiver with external 16bit sound cards and simply love the whole setup, so to see CREST crumble is not something I ever wanted to see.

Having based my own implementation on the Revolution controller, the question is - who fills the gap for a reliable R/C system now?

I like to know as I have not had to look for one until now.

Doddy

Registered
30 Aug 2011
Abingdon-upon-Thames
Best answers
Country flag
The latest comment, from a well known retailer in the USA, says the the Revolution should be available again within the next two to three months from a new owner. Whether it will feature upgrades and be available in the UK remains to be seen, but hopefully it will be as I know many folks have the REVO system in use on their railroads.

When will this be made public?

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
I guess the fact that it has been written on two Stateside fora, presumably by someone who hopes to retail the product when it is available, it could be said to be public.

Doddy

Registered
30 Aug 2011
Abingdon-upon-Thames
Best answers
Country flag
I guess the fact that it has been written on two Stateside fora, presumably by someone who hopes to retail the product when it is available, it could be said to be public.

Do we know who yet? Or can you point me to the information source of who? MNY THX

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
I was told the same thing from Robbie, the owner of RLD Hobbies in the states. He said that the rights to the control system were sold the same day as Crest closed. That it will have a whole new name, not revolution, and we should know something from the new owners in early November. I hope we see an expansion of onboard sounds built into the reciever board. Would eliminate the need for the extra expense of a second sound board, which makes the expense of conversion even more expensive. A proper selection of different diesel sounds to be more brand and turbo/non turbo sounds. Mike

The Tinker

Every day I wake up is a good day
6 Feb 2014
Whangamata New Zealand
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Awesome hope it can move forward now. I hope sound files will be able to be customised.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Doddy

Registered
30 Aug 2011
Abingdon-upon-Thames
Best answers
Country flag
They have a sale on at the moment. No information on the design of new features, looks like a standard release of the old units. Nevertheless, I am personally very pleased to see the Revo back on the market! >:)Revo Sale 2017.jpg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I assume the crossed-out shopping basket icons mean that none of the items are actually available - wonder if the sale prices will still apply when they have new stock (in January 2017 according to the statement on the site)....?

Jon

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
It states on the site
WE WILL HAVE IN STOCK BY JAN,01,2017

Yes, but will that still be at the "sale" prices shown, or were they just to clear out remaining old stock that is now all gone....?

Just a rhetorical question really...... ;)

Jon.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I hope they have someone in the new enterprise who knows about the technicalities of the product(s)..

I have (unfortunately) found technical support to be rather poor. - And I do not just mean of late.

The Tinker

Every day I wake up is a good day
6 Feb 2014
Whangamata New Zealand
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Hope everyone just gives them a chance to prove themselves. I did find support was Ok and Navin was helpful to me. I rang and asked him Questions on a number of occasions. I think we may see Revo be developed to its full potential. It seems to of been held back by the previous owner unwilling to invest any more in it. The good sign here is the USB programer is available now.