Coal bins for Peckforton and Beeston Castle

trammayo

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
We used to rest the door on the lorry which, being an open flat back, meant a few trips. I think, but not entirely certain, that the steel trucks held about 17 tons.

ge_rik

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
We used to rest the door on the lorry which, being an open flat back, meant a few trips. I think, but not entirely certain, that the steel trucks held about 17 tons.
That's a fair bit of shovelling, Mick. But then, I suppose a fireman would shovel somewhere near a tender full of coal into the firebox every day. Eeeeeh, they were the days!

Rik

ge_rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
BTW - I've now painted the coal scales ...
122243_e227a8e86cbc34fbd42b9b5affbb8b93.jpg

.... and am in the process of landscaping the coal yard at Beeston Castle. Just waiting for the concrete and glue to set and then, after a bit of tidying-up, I'll post some piccies of the end result.

Rik
PS - Blog post about the coal scale build - How I constructed a set of coal scales

ge_rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Just before the Heavens open (again), I nipped outside and took a few piccies of the coal yard in its (near) final form.

First one shows how it fits into the cramped yard at Beeston Castle station as a whole.

Moving in a bit closer.

And then from the opposite direction.

Still a bit more titivating to be done, but getting closer to ticking this one off the todo list.

Rik

Reactions: dunnyrail