Horse drawn coal cart

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Inspired by the work of Peter Bunce on this forum, I started building my horse drawn coal cart last March, using a Hobby's 'kit' (Peter's recommendation). I enclose 'kit' in inverted commas because the kit comprised a plan, five pieces of plywood, some stripwood, four wheels and miscellaneous bits of wire.
DSCI2614.JPG

The kit took me a couple of months to construct and then I was faced with the problem of finding a suitable horse and then making a harness for it (there was no info in the kit as to what an appropriate horse harness looks like. As with a lot of things, now I've actually done this one, I now know much better how to do the next one. I've cut a few corners to make it work, but I think it's passable - as long as none of you are expert equestrians.
IMG_0002.JPG

It's nowhere near the standard of Peter's wonderful models - but I think it will serve its purpose on the PLR.
IMG_9995.JPG

I've still got to add nameboards to the cart and a few more details such as weighing scales, a feed bag and bucket and maybe a few other bits and pieces, but it's beginning to look the part.
IMG_9993.JPG

I'd have taken some photos of it in the coal yard at Beeston Castle Station - but true to form it's now chucking down with rain!
IMG_9998.JPG

Rik

Last edited:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Inspired by the work of Peter Bunce on this forum, I started building my horse drawn coal cart last March, using a Hobby's 'kit' (Peter's recommendation). I enclose 'kit' in inverted commas because the kit comprised a plan, five pieces of plywood, some stripwood, four wheels and miscellaneous bits of wire.
View attachment 262612

The kit took me a couple of months to construct and then I was faced with the problem of finding a suitable horse and then making a harness for it (there was no info in the kit as to what an appropriate horse harness looks like. As with a lot of things, now I've actually done this one, I now know much better how to do the next one. I've cut a few corners to make it work, but I think it's passable - as long as none of you are expert equestrians.
IMG_0002.JPG

It's nowhere near the standard of Peter's wonderful models - but I think it will serve its purpose on the PLR.
IMG_9995.JPG

I've still got to add nameboards to the cart and a few more details such as weighing scales, a feed bag and bucket and maybe a few other bits and pieces, but it's beginning to look the part.
IMG_9993.JPG

I'd have taken some photos of it in the coal yard at Beeston Castle Station - but true to form it's now chucking down with rain!
View attachment 262611

Rik

Looks good, maybe Cole and Sons, Coal and Coke Merchants?

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Beautiful piece of modelling Rik you should be proud.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good, maybe Cole and Sons, Coal and Coke Merchants?
Hi
I'll probably use the name I've used for the coal merchant at Beeston Castle, William France & Son. I took the name from the coal merchant listed in the 1911 census return for the area. Although my railway is set 20 years later, I've assumed the son mentioned in the census will have taken over his dad's business.
DSCI2232.JPG

More info on the coal yard -
Rik

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Lovely work.
what manufacture is the horse, please?

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Lovely work.
what manufacture is the horse, please?
I think that one is a Papo. I bought a Schleich and a Papo but can't remember which one is which.

Rik
EDIT - On reflection, I think this one is the Schleich - Schleich Clydesdale Gelding - I remember trimming off the fancy bits. At 1:24 it's a bit under scale for 1:20 (the kit's scale) but seems to look OK in relation to the wagon
Clydesdale gelding.jpg

Last edited:

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I've altered the harnessing slightly as the chains (traces) were too slack.
IMG_0007.JPGIMG_0010.JPG

Hopefully, Dobbin will now be a lot happier.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I've blogged the build of the cart ......

...... and the harnessing of the horse ......

...... just in case anyone might be interested.

Rik

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I've blogged the build of the cart ......

...... and the harnessing of the horse ......

...... just in case anyone might be interested.

Rik
Brilliant, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: 1 user

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Hi
I'll probably use the name I've used for the coal merchant at Beeston Castle, William France & Son. I took the name from the coal merchant listed in the 1911 census return for the area. Although my railway is set 20 years later, I've assumed the son mentioned in the census will have taken over his dad's business.
View attachment 262632

More info on the coal yard -
Rik

Using a real name is a nice piece of detail.

Reactions: 1 user