trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
We used to rest the door on the lorry which, being an open flat back, meant a few trips. I think, but not entirely certain, that the steel trucks held about 17 tons.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
We used to rest the door on the lorry which, being an open flat back, meant a few trips. I think, but not entirely certain, that the steel trucks held about 17 tons.
That's a fair bit of shovelling, Mick. But then, I suppose a fireman would shovel somewhere near a tender full of coal into the firebox every day. Eeeeeh, they were the days!

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
BTW - I've now painted the coal scales ...
DSCI2220.JPG

.... and am in the process of landscaping the coal yard at Beeston Castle. Just waiting for the concrete and glue to set and then, after a bit of tidying-up, I'll post some piccies of the end result.

Rik
PS - Blog post about the coal scale build - How I constructed a set of coal scales

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Just before the Heavens open (again), I nipped outside and took a few piccies of the coal yard in its (near) final form.

First one shows how it fits into the cramped yard at Beeston Castle station as a whole.
DSCI2237.JPG

Moving in a bit closer.
DSCI2231.JPG

And then from the opposite direction.
DSCI2235.JPG

Still a bit more titivating to be done, but getting closer to ticking this one off the todo list.

Rik

Reactions: 1 user

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Just came across this thread while looking for something else. I've not installed a coaling facility to go with my turntable or pick storage sidings yet, but when in B&Q I picked up a split tub of tarmac type driveway repair stuff for £1. A bit "shiney" to start with, but dulls to a matt finish quite quickly. I might use some to make drop in loads for my hopper wagons. There's enough here to replicate a significant NCB facility!!!
IMG_20200206_093303.jpg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I could find a use for that!
I can no longer get onto the drive, without the car 'bottoming-out' due to the potholes in the footpath.. :(:mad::banghead::banghead:

If you try to report this, the automated system insists on routing you to the Borough Council (who are responsible for roads.. Our Town council is allegedly responsible for footpaths. :rolleyes:

Possibly time to find out who our local Councillor or MP is?? Now we have been dumped into the area next-door, fro such administrative purposes.

My lever, will be we have had two persons on mobility scooters, tip over on this section of footpath.. :devil:

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
My lever will be we have had two persons on mobility scooters tip over on this section of footpath.. :devil:
Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Or some embarrassing publicity.
Or both >:)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Or some embarrassing publicity.
Or both >:)
Trouble is Councils mostly County but also District do not priorities things like Road Pot Holes or poos Pavements. There should be money for these budgets but it gets diverted to other methods of ‘firefighting’. No doubt for Councillors gratification, pavements in my area not been touched in the main since dug up for Cable TV work that mostly occured around 1994-5-6. That will be 24 years worth and probably mire of nothing done, how many have been in AnE due to Trips and Falls, many life changing.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I could find a use for that!
I can no longer get onto the drive, without the car 'bottoming-out' due to the potholes in the footpath.. :(:mad::banghead::banghead:

If you try to report this, the automated system insists on routing you to the Borough Council (who are responsible for roads.. Our Town council is allegedly responsible for footpaths. :rolleyes:

Possibly time to find out who our local Councillor or MP is?? Now we have been dumped into the area next-door, fro such administrative purposes.

My lever, will be we have had two persons on mobility scooters, tip over on this section of footpath.. :devil:

The local council cut down a tree in front of my house and left a stump painted bright pink so the "stump grinder guy" could find it and get rid of it. Fast forward 3 months stump still there and I ring the council to get it removed, I told them a lady tripped over it and fell flat on her face. Answer "she should have seen it as it is painted bright pink", my reply "It was bright pink 3 months ago but the paint has faded plus the weeds on "your" nature strip have grown over it".
Result stump removed 2 days later, the threat of a lawyer getting involved or a call to the local councilor along with mention of a call to TV current affairs show usually works here.
There was a lady years ago who put a chair in a big pothole and sat there till the local paper came and took picture and did a story; result pothole fixed next day.