dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Some pointers, never buy trunking or conduit from b&q or wickes, you will be ripped off, The wholesalers like TLC, City Electrical, Kew, Newey's, will sell to the public, you will also find great deals on lightbulbs for yr house, the DIY sheds on electrical items will see you coming.
I recently got some prices at my local BnQ. These prices are for the most useful sizes for my use. Initial numbers are MM. They are also for the product that does not have Adhesive Qualities on the Rear. Much mire expensive and little use in the Garden. Also remember for us oldies, these prices can be reduced by 10% on Old Gits Day at BnQ (Wednesday).
16/10/2m £3.48
16/16/2m £3.98
16/25/2m £4.53
40/16/2m £3.98
40/25/2m £3.98
Did try to get comparison prices from TLC, but as with many Webb Sites I found that you do not get to see a comparison till you get into the Checkout Part of the site. By which time I had lost the will to live. Perhaps you might like to put some comparison prices up here please Sparky.
JonD

sparky230

Registered
29 Mar 2011
Northfleet
Best answers
tlc 16x16 3m £2.10 +vat
16x25 3m £2.20 +vat
40x16 3m £3.95 +vat
40x25 3m £4.95 +vat

Note these are 3m lengths not the 2m lengths B&Q sell

Thats list price, but many wholesalers will do deals, I can get 20% off list, but you have to go in a branch to get discount.

For reference most wholesalers stock this by MT codes, MT1 is 16x16, MT2 16x25, MT3 40x16, MT4 40x25, also wholsalers stock bends that work with this stuff

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Also, if you think you will be using a fair bit.. Worth checking the price for a bundle (normally 20 lengths) from the outset. - That is a couple of hundred feet.. Not excessive when you think of a garden railway, and all the extra places you can use it.

sparky230

Registered
29 Mar 2011
Northfleet
Best answers
Also, if you think you will be using a fair bit.. Worth checking the price for a bundle (normally 20 lengths) from the outset. - That is a couple of hundred feet.. Not excessive when you think of a garden railway, and all the extra places you can use it.

For a bundle of 20, you can get a serious deal off the list price, but you need to go to branch, not internet

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Brill comparison, many thanks. For my long runs I would certainly have saved some money. But for the short stuff probably not that much as I do not do that much planning ahead.mThe one problem with my Garden Railway Plan is that there never was a plan in the first place!
JonD

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
In the past I've used plumbing pipe up to 40mm diameter with T junctions and a blanking plug for access points. If it's meant to keep water in it also keeps if out. Depends how much room there is to bury the stuff.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I like the Electrical Trunking, used as a scenic item it makes access so much easier. My long pipe runs for my Air Supply have to have the occasional joint which can blow (quite a rare occurance) so being able to lift the lid off does help.
image.jpeg
Recently installed run (left) to some new sidings. Just above that out of site is the main run up the Garden. These sidings are in fact an outside Fiddle Yard.
JonD