BRAWA RHB coaches, MTS question...?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone here actually have (or have direct experience of) the short-lived BRAWA old-time RHB 4-wheel coaches that they made a few years ago to accompany their RHB G4/5 loco?

I've just acquired a pair, new boxed old stock, at quite a reasonable price (got the pair for less than the price some German dealers are still asking for one). Now, they come with interior lighting factory-installed (and metal wheels of course), but they seem to have NO instructions with them at all; my question is simply, can they be used as-is on a digital-powered layout? Do they have built-in voltage limiting circuits, and do these operate OK on the 24v high-frequency-AC of MTS/Massoth track power? I have seen mention elsewhere that the coaches can be fitted with digital decoders, but I assume this is just so that you can choose to switch the lights on and off as desired - or is a decoder actually essential for safe operation on a digital system?

It may be a silly question, but I don't want to blow all the lighting circuits the first time I put them on the track!

Thanks,

Jon.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
49513890bc114ea780dae4298ef9ef68.jpg
Roy Crofton Mann ran his here with no ill effects.
Like you say fitting a decoder could only turn the light on or off

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks! I didn't really think there could be a problem, or it would have been highlighted somewhere (or so you'd think) but I did just want to be sure. :D

Jon.

PS: how many other folks here have got examples of these coaches? The pair I got are in the modern orange RhB livery, but still the old-time designs. I'm quite impressed with them as far as detail and quality is concerned, but (as has been said of the Brawa loco in the past) some of the detail work seems INCREDIBLY fragile and delicate, needing great care in handling both on and off the track. The coach end handrails and roof supports, in particular, are very fine plastic that feels like it'll snap if you so much as breathe on it - they make Piko's loco handrails look like they're indestructible!