Booster Power Supply

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I've been thinking about my local GSS group's possible future DCC system
There's a possibility that they will choose the Piko system. A trial demonstrated that the current version of Piko's central station works with their existing Crest switching power supply. As this power supply will deliver more than enough power for a central station and a booster I wondered if there may be any down side to this idea.. I envisage the central station and booster powering electrically isolated sections, however a train may travel across the isolaters from one section to the other.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I envisage the central station and booster powering electrically isolated sections, however a train may travel across the isolaters from one section to the other.

That is the way it is designed to work..
The 'diagrams' show separate power supplies, as it is envisaged you will have a matched capacity supply and CS/Booster. I see no reason this will not work.
The only caveat would be if the 'system' caused the Crest to shutdown (unlikely, and probably the least of your worries if it did!) you would not know if the CS or Booster had initiated this.

<edit>
Greg has a big system, he might be able to add some input?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
your isolated "sections" would do well to have independent circuit breakers, for many reasons. A regulated power supply will give you better performance than an unregulated one so you are in good shape.

Greg