Expanding the ESU and Marklin DCC Command Stations to 12 Amps DCC Output

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
The ESU CabControl DCC System and the ESU ECOS Command Station each come with a 7 Amp DC Power Supplies that will provide each Command Stations with a maximum 7 Amps DCC power to your track layout. The Marklin CS3 and CS3+ have a limited 5 Amps DCC output to your track layout. If you need more amperage to your track layout, you can connect a Massoth DiMax 12 Amp 1202B Digital Booster to any of these DCC systems using a Massoth Booster CAN-Bus Cable, and the Booster is then connected to your main track layout…the track power cables from the ESU and Marklin Command Stations are disconnected from your main track layout. Your track layout will then receive 12 Amps at 22 volts DCC and the operation is still controlled by your ESU or Marklin Command Station. This is an alternative to adding isolated track block sections to your main layout which will then still be limited to 7 amps or 5 amps using ESU or Marklin DCC Booster Units. The components required to provide 12 Amps DCC are available on my Website: Massoth 1202B 12 Amp DCC Digital Booster, CAN-Bus cable, and the Massoth 12 Amp DC power supply.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Will they still recognise mfx locos automatically when using the Massoth Booster?

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Will they still recognise mfx locos automatically when using the Massoth Booster?
Yes, I tested the setup last week on my DCC Test Stand using an ESU CabControl System and a ESU 5XL DCC Sound Decoder installed on my test stand motor block.......Railcom immediately identified the decoder. What I didn't test is whether the Railcom+ communication process also works, but if Railcom works, I assume Railcom+ does too. Would you agree?

Another hobbyist I know also recently set up a Massoth Digital Booster to operate with his Marklin CS3+ System and it also works great providing 12 amps DCC to his garden railway layout.

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
No, MFX is not recognized through the Massoth booster....yet. I'm told they are still working on the module for that. I use the Massoth booster with a CS3 and to recognize MFX/M4 I just place the loco on a programming track hooked directly to the CS3. Once its recognized and loaded then it can be controlled through the Massoth booster using MFX/M4. The Massoth booster doesnt allow the bidirectional communication yet.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
This is a bit disconcerting... the guy who is selling the stuff says it works, and someone who I recognize as being technically adept says it does not work AND there might be an extra (??? cost) module.

I'm not an MFX expert but do use railcom, and railcom of ANY version requires bidirectional communication, how could it work for Thomas?

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
This is a bit disconcerting... the guy who is selling the stuff says it works, and someone who I recognize as being technically adept says it does not work AND there might be an extra (??? cost) module.

I'm not an MFX expert but do use railcom, and railcom of ANY version requires bidirectional communication, how could it work for Thomas?
It works with MFX...it just doesnt recognize or "feedback" MFX decoders through the booster, so perhaps I created the confusion with my statement about it not being bidirectional. I only meant it in the context of MFX. I know this because I've been in contact with Massoth support about it and the info for the booster on the website states it:

--------------------------------------------------------
It can be used independently of the data format and can therefore also be operated with Motorola, Selectrix, etc. in addition to NMRA/DCC. The booster supports the following operating modes:

• normal driving operation/booster mode
  • Brake booster function with active function command throughput
  • RailCom
  • Marklin CAN / MfX*
* The booster can be operated as a driving booster at the Märklin CS II / III Central Station. The matching connection cable 8312086 DiMAX Booster CAN bus cable for Märklin CS is not included in the scope of delivery. The MfX feedback is currently not available and is to be retrofitted with an additional module at a later date.
----------------------------------------------------------

So to make existing Massoth boosters feedback MFX, yes it will likely involve paying for an extra module if/as/when it is produced by Massoth. Perhaps the electronics will be incorporated in future versions of the booster, however.

Honestly its really not a big deal at all. I put a new loco on the programming track connected to the CS3 directly and the CS3 will assign the MFX address and import all the decoder info and store it. On my actual layout it just needs to send it commands to control. The 12 amps from the Massoth booster is nice coming a Massoth 1210z system to the CS3. I didnt have to change my layout wiring at all even though the CS3 power pack is only 5 amps. Being able to use it with other brands of CS is a really nice feature.

Tom tested Railcom with the booster and it worked, and the above from Massoth confirms that finding as well.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
A little more research yielded a comment that the electrical principals of data transmission are different, so that must be the reason.

I'd love a link outlining the actual physical protocol if anyone has it.

Greg