Extra Power needed ?

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hello all and a Happy New Year to you,

I think this may be the correct place so here goes ...

I currently have 2 separate Lines with seperate power supplies to each as looking at running poss 2 trains with sound on each, (approx 6 amps) and poss even a double headed train so amps go up to around 9/10.

Im looking at putting a depot in off 1 line which will have space for around 10 locos, if they all have sound fitted im thinking there will not be enough Amps to run the 2 trains and shunt the shed ?, ie ... 2 running trains =6 amps + shed locos = around 20 amps, so my question is do you think it would be an idea to put a seperate power supply to the depot ?.

I have Massoth central station and a booster so if a seperate supply is used can I use another booster ?

Thankyou very much for any replies

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag

I currently have 2 separate Lines with seperate power supplies to each as looking at running poss 2 trains with sound on each, (approx 6 amps) and poss even a double headed train so amps go up to around 9/10.

Im looking at putting a depot in off 1 line which will have space for around 10 locos, if they all have sound fitted im thinking there will not be enough Amps to run the 2 trains and shunt the shed ?, ie ... 2 running trains =6 amps + shed locos = around 20 amps, so my question is do you think it would be an idea to put a seperate power supply to the depot ?.

I have Massoth central station and a booster so if a seperate supply is used can I use another booster ?

The general rule of thumb for DCC with LGB locomotives is one amp per motor, i.e., running the locomotives simultaneously on the track system not just parked on the track. I don't think you plan on running 12 locomotives all at the same time. Your 12 Amp Massoth DiMax should be able to support running 12 one motor locomotives all at the same time (unlikely need) unless you've got some steep grades and very long consists.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The general rule of thumb for DCC with LGB locomotives is one amp per motor, i.e., running the locomotives simultaneously on the track system not just parked on the track. I don't think you plan on running 12 locomotives all at the same time. Your 12 Amp Massoth DiMax should be able to support running 12 one motor locomotives all at the same time (unlikely need) unless you've got some steep grades and very long consists.

We used to have as many as that and possibly more on the Ruschbahn all sound all burbling away and no booster. There were at most only 5 or 6 ever moving at once with no issues of the system shutting down due to excess use. I think you can read the load on the screen?

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,

Many thanks for the info, sounds very much like I will have enough power for what I need, cheers all.