Bish-Bash-Bosh! A Coach Chop....

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Another quiet evening at work, so I've found a few minutes to cut down the roof to the new coach length.

Pictures to follow another time....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
Another quiet evening at work, so I've found a few minutes to cut down the roof to the new coach length.

Pictures to follow another time....

Oh dear, I found that I'd cut the roof short by 2mm at each end. D'oh!

So last night I mixed up some Milliput to fix this error, and then I rubbed down the 'TB' and other markings on the bodysides.

Also, looking at how the body is mounted on the cut down chassis, I reckon I could cut another 6-7mm from it. The buffer gear looks odd as it sticks out a fair way, but I want to retain these, so loosing 3-4mm each end of the coach will help to reduce this.

I've still got to think of a way to make corridor connections for this and the other coach.
My thoughts are either some car door rubber seal glued in place, or some foam rubber cut to shape. But someone out there might have a better suggestion....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Well due to illness, shift work, and the fact I was doing most of this chop at the Thursday Night MRC session, I hadn't done much with this project of late.

However, this Thursday gone, I did some filling around the window frames with some Milliput (which I couldn't find the previous week!) and, having brought the coach body home, today I've been sanding down the front of the coach.

I've already also drilled some small pilot holes for the lights, which I will open up after painting....

8c56533047574205bb82ad6ed53b20c5.jpg

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nearly ready for painting.

I've got to make the open for the door at the other end a little larger. The original door opening is offset to one side, so I will cut this to be wider and make this opening more central, as it will now be a corridor connection.

I must remember to 'phone the Fire Station next door to the hanger where I work on Monday. They have a scrap Audi ready for training, and I want to 'borrow' the door seals to make my corridor connections....
c9ad1666900c49e8b363ab307c4b3163.jpg

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
The other end of the coach.

The narrow offset door has been widened and will now be a corridor connection to the next carriage, which is yet to be modified....
b816685939484ab0814188cd338225b3.jpg

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
fa2e702d28094bd98e10fc32deb44de2.jpg
fa2e702d28094bd98e10fc32deb44de2.jpg
Started painting the coach using a Humbrol red acylic can, and although I thought I'd made a bog up of the job last week, it hasn't turned out too bad.

I've rubbed down the minor blemishes ready for another coat of red later.

One of the Firemen next door to the hanger at work has come up trumps with some car door seal rubber, so I'm going to try this for the corridor connection....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
3Valve said:
Like it. Coming along very nicely.
Thanx mate!

6e2c5ba131b545ceb8f5fdcd36dab37c.jpg

I took the body to the MRC last night, and mocked up this photo on the portable layout.

Body on chassis with doors and roof roughly in place, but I need to modify the doors before the roof will clip back on....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
It's been near 3 weeks since I last posted on this project.

This is because the coach has been in the paint shop (aka Mizzy's greenhouse).

I set up a temp spray bay and I used Humbrol Acrylic red to paint the coach body. First time I've sprayed such a big vehicle, although I've done a couple of wagons and the road-rail digger. Okay yes, it's not perfect, but you can't see the imperfections unless you get close up, and I've been learning as I go along, so I'm happy.

Another first for me is Trimline tape. I was thinking of doing a top window panel in cream, but then I thought, well this is a modernisation and conversion of an existing coach, so I went for a more simple 'Rhatianesque' livery, but using gold rather than the silvery white reflective band used on the RhB coaches. The new sliding doors were sprayed silver.

I've mocked up the coach as it is now to see how it looks, and I'm pretty pleased with how it's looking so far....

75d08ac092fe4238a8915d10e52d2d29.jpg

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Now that the coach has been shortened, due to the balcony being 'removed' (not actually the case as I chopped a section from near the middle of the chassis so as to keep the draw gear), I had to provide doors in the side of the coach for passengers to board. This left the original door opening at the end of the coach.

The opening is offset, so this was widened and a corridor connection fabricated for car door seal rubber, given to me by a friendly Defence Fire Services fire-fighter in the station next door to where I work....

0dffa66b54d2436c89f422658cc8641a.jpg

e8c0a4753eea454d8c53fd8109c1f8dc.jpg

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
So now that I have all the components parts at home (I've had the roof at work, the chassis at the MRC and the body here at home), I took this shot of an original coach (which will also eventually be shortened but not as a driving trailer) and the bashed one.

Need to install lights at the cab end, refit the seats, windows and roof, and I'll be just about done....

cc1c12ad635540e4a0b41997665cbd63.jpg

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Just about got this project completed, but not quite finished.

I need to get some yellow red Bi coloured LEDS for the lights and install the driver and passengers, but is 95% there now....

25342d8ca2a54046be3a4cb1c2d719e8.jpg
9c40bc1cddd54fbeaf922f7377582d88.jpg
0a48df838787410797b27625bf8e4197.jpg
b03674afbb01443a9e6e6c26e404c3ff.jpg
5ac9473e2afd430db3b053cef0529bd7.jpg

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
Nice job mate. Something a bit different :clap:.

Cheers Mel!

Now I've got it all to do again for the second coach. The next one will not be a Driving Trailer though, and it will probably have corridor connections at both ends....

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
interesting concept
well executed
nice flange

vasim

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
If I may add a couple of comments, please don't think I am putting you down. The idea is very good and it is looking very good.
May I suggest that the top light windows on the cab front be used as destination indicators? You could also maybe box them in at the back and light them with an LED?
The only part that doesn't really come up to par with the rest of the build is the corridor connection. May I suggest the rubber tube method that is used on most continental mainline stock with squared corridors which would look perhaps a bit neater and would enable closer coupling and less chance of derailment? A rubber tube down each side of the corridor opening and one across the top (as per the Piko 6 wheel coach).

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
vasim said:
If I may add a couple of comments, please don't think I am putting you down. The idea is very good and it is looking very good.
May I suggest that the top light windows on the cab front be used as destination indicators? You could also maybe box them in at the back and light them with an LED?
The only part that doesn't really come up to par with the rest of the build is the corridor connection. May I suggest the rubber tube method that is used on most continental mainline stock with squared corridors which would look perhaps a bit neater and would enable closer coupling and less chance of derailment? A rubber tube down each side of the corridor opening and one across the top (as per the Piko 6 wheel coach).
Two very good suggestions there and both are ideas I have considered.

The corridor connection is a bit of an experiment, and as mentioned, was re-use of a free bit of car door seal. If it doesn't work out, I will try something else. it's not glued in but relies on being 'under tension' and was a swine to cut being as it contains spring steel within the rubber.

As I commented earlier, this project is a first venture into kit bashing, as previously, I've been very much a buy it, get it out of the box and run it sort of guy as far as the rolling stock has been concerned. I hadn't done any paint spraying, or ever taking a razor saw to any model on such a large scale before, being content to make small improvements.

Much of the inspiration, and encouragement, comes from what I've seen on the forum. I've PM'ed members for their advice, as well as asking the guys at my local MRC (where for example, we had a big discussion about the roof, and although everyone said, why not do 'this' way, I eventually went with 'that' way instead!) and I value the input I've had from everybody about this project....

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
New corridor connection now fabricated for the coach, as per the ones on my NQ rebuilding thread. The connection is mounted on a new end section for the carriage with doorway and this should fit over the existing large hole cut in the coach.

I've done this one as a trial to ensure it fits before I make another two for Gizzy. Luckilly the dimensions worked out more or less the same as the ones I was producing, so I was able to set up a "production line!"

aa5c20e552b041089d5ecc2a705a0f2f.jpg

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Miamigo259 said:
New corridor connection now fabricated for the coach, as per the ones on my NQ rebuilding thread. The connection is mounted on a new end section for the carriage with doorway and this should fit over the existing large hole cut in the coach.

I've done this one as a trial to ensure it fits before I make another two for Gizzy. Luckilly the dimensions worked out more or less the same as the ones I was producing, so I was able to set up a "production line!"

images
Thanks Steve!

Have sent PM.

Having seen the one's Steve was making for his coach, and realising that my one made from car door rubber seal was too big when testing at MMTS's East Suffolk Railway,I asked if Steve could make me a couple or three for my own project.

I will be starting on the second coach chop shortly, however, this one will be a normal corridor coach, without a diving cab....

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
I will be starting on the second coach chop shortly, however, this one will be a normal corridor coach, without a diving cab....
[/quote]

A submersible coach. Quite a novel idea!