Bish-Bash-Bosh! A Coach Chop....

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
korm kormsen said:
looks as if it will be nice, when finished.

are the newqida coaches longer than their freight cars?

Yes they are quite a bit longer Korm. I cut about 3 inch, 8 cm from the chassis....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Granitechops said:
" but if anyone can suggest any ideas for the lamp housing please?"

Gizzy, Maplins do a chrome bezzel for leds of various sizes I think
I bought some for my modern 3 car unit but made these instead out of styrene tube & shaped styrene sheet, as the bezels would have faced down to the ground.
but if yours has a flat front the Maplins bezels would look good I should think

Just remembered, the styrene tube size was chosen to fit the bezels in Doh
Thanks Don, I'll look into that tip....

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Lookin good Gary.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I was looking underneath the bogies last night, and I noticed that there seems to be a recepticle of some sort that could be adapted to take power from the back of the wheels for lighting/power.

Can anyone enlighten me if there is a kit to do this on the LGB style bogie please?

I was looking at the (eye wateringly expensive) cost of the LGB pickup axles and I could easily change all the wheels on 2 coaches and still have money left over for a pint looking at the price of just one of these. I've replaced the old plastic wheels with Bachmann metal 31mm ones to lower the C of G and add weight, so if I could pick up the power from these, it would keep the costs down a tad....

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Gizzy said:
I was looking underneath the bogies last night, and I noticed that there seems to be a recepticle of some sort that could be adapted to take power from the back of the wheels for lighting/power.

Can anyone enlighten me if there is a kit to do this on the LGB style bogie please?

I was looking at the (eye wateringly expensive) cost of the LGB pickup axles and I could easily change all the wheels on 2 coaches and still have money left over for a pint looking at the price of just one of these. I've replaced the old plastic wheels with Bachmann metal 31mm ones to lower the C of G and add weight, so if I could pick up the power from these, it would keep the costs down a tad....

Use a bit of phosfor bronze wire to pick up current from the back of the wheels.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nodrog1826 said:
LGB 63193 Electrical contact set could be the piece of kit you may need, needs metal wheels to work as it uses carbon pick up contacts on the back of the wheels, they can be the cause of drag though.

Or

It could juct be the moulding is the tyoe that take the carbon bush pick up still will have the drag factor though.

You couldn't post a pic of the bogie underside?
Haven't got a photo atm Nod, but I'll have a look at your LGB 63193 suggestion....

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
The topic below may be of interest.
http://www.gscalecentral.net/tm?m=29828&high=coach+lighting < Link To http://www.gscalecentral....mp;high=coach+lighting
I prefer LED battery lighting as it's cheap, the lights don't flicker, and they stay on all the time with analogue systems.
The batteries need recharging after a few hours, but I don't run in the dark for more than three or four hours at a time.

Gizzy, if you want track pickup I'm almost certain you could fit the LGB carbon contacts directly into the bogie without the need for the plastic mounting piece that comes with the contact set.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Gizzy said:
I've replaced the old plastic wheels with Bachmann metal 31mm ones to lower the C of G and add weight, so if I could pick up the power from these, it would keep the costs down a tad....

This is a great thread Gizzy. Fascinating project. :clap:

How about some Piko railbus pickups as "sweepers" onto your wheels? Or you could butcher most of the other Piko pickups. They come with self tapping screws and ready made holes for attachment, which is handy.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Neil Robinson said:
The topic below may be of interest.
http://www.gscalecentral.net/tm?m=29828&high=coach+lighting
I prefer LED battery lighting as it's cheap, the lights don't flicker, and they stay on all the time with analogue systems.
The batteries need recharging after a few hours, but I don't run in the dark for more than three or four hours at a time.

Gizzy, if you want track pickup I'm almost certain you could fit the LGB carbon contacts directly into the bogie without the need for the plastic mounting piece that comes with the contact set.
That is very useful, many thanks Neil.

I liked the idea of the battery box, although that is the very part of the chassis that I cut out, so I may have to find another location if I decide to use this method.

I've 'borrowed' your picture to highlight in green where I thought I saw those recepticles for brushes; however I'm not sure now if the one's I saw line up with the wheels, looking at this photo?

Can someone confirm the LGB number for the brushes please? Is is the same one as Gordon identified, i.e. LGB 63193? I looked at these on Dragon's website, but they look different to how I imagined. The main reason for wanting track pickup, is that I was planning to use bi colour red/yellow LEDs for the head/tail lights, which would change depending on direction/polarity.

I have already made a similar circuit for my Shoema loco a few years ago....
219c1f37a92d4ed49c11fd30c7784794.jpg

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
Gizzy said:
I've replaced the old plastic wheels with Bachmann metal 31mm ones to lower the C of G and add weight, so if I could pick up the power from these, it would keep the costs down a tad....

This is a great thread Gizzy. Fascinating project. :clap:

How about some Piko railbus pickups as "sweepers" onto your wheels? Or you could butcher most of the other Piko pickups. They come with self tapping screws and ready made holes for attachment, which is handy.

Interesting idea Mr Tigger!

Would you happen to know the Piko part number for these pickups please?

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
gizzy you want lgb 63120 or massoth 8313508 depening which you can find in stock.

the item that Gordon has pointed to is a bit of a waste as the holder for the brushs is already molded in to the truck on the newer lgb stuff thus you would be paying for some thing not needed.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
lgb 63120
wandgrudd said:
gizzy you want lgb 63120 or massoth 8313508 depening which you can find in stock.

the item that gardon has pointed to is a bit of a waste as the holder for the brushs is already molded in to the truck on the newer lgb stuff thus you would be paying for some thing not needed.

Thanks Andrew!

I might even have some of these?

I guess you have to solder wires onto these somehow though?

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Gizzy said:
whatlep said:

Interesting idea Mr Tigger!

Would you happen to know the Piko part number for these pickups please?

Yep! Piko part for the Railbus is 36113 (one pair of pickups). From pictures, I strongly suspect that the BR80 pickups (36112) would do too, if you cut off the unewanted excess. Price for both parts is the same.

As I write Dragon G scale are out of stock, but Gaugemaster have them available.

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
lgb 63120
wandgrudd said:

the item that gardon has pointed to is a bit of a waste as the holder for the brushs is already molded in to the truck on the newer lgb stuff thus you would be paying for some thing not needed.

Thanks Andrew!

I might even have some of these?

I guess you have to solder wires onto these somehow though?

yes you solder wires on, the holders that are molded on to the trucks should have slits up them to allow the then thicker part of the pick up brush to slide in, by thicker part i mean the added thickness of the solder and wire you have just attached to the brush.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
wandgrudd said:
yes you solder wires on, the holders that are molded on to the trucks should have slits up them to allow the then thicker part of the pick up brush to slide in, by thicker part i mean the added thickness of the solder and wire you have just attached to the brush.

I used to use that method. However not all the brush holders have a slot and I'm getting even lazier in my old age.
When used in LGB locos those brushes just rest against the internal wires so on the last lot I fitted I just bared the ends of the wire, trapped these at the rear of the brushes and used the spring pressure to maintain contact without bothering to solder them.

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice chop, looking forward to the finished coach, top marks!:clap: Alyn

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Quiet evening so far at work.

Found a hole punch tool in our workshop so I cut out the window openings for the new doors that are to be fitted to my coach bash project. Wish I'd found this before I made the front end!

The material I'm using for the doors is 60 thou Plasticard, as used for the front.

Pictures to follow later....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
Quiet evening so far at work.

Found a hole punch tool in our workshop so I cut out the window openings for the new doors that are to be fitted to my coach bash project. Wish I'd found this before I made the front end!

The material I'm using for the doors is 60 thou Plasticard, as used for the front.

Pictures to follow later....
Photo as promised. Unpainted and unglazed.

The doors are wider than they need to be, so as to be able to fix them in place.

They should hopefully fit into groves in the floor and roof, but they won't be made to slide as the window glazing in the coach sides will be in the way....

7136baa295f84e3883d2206250feae5e.jpg