Ballasting For Effect

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I now use 5 different colours of ballast on the layout depending where the line is passing through.

A mix of solid Red and a pinky one on the Beaver Creek station and yard area
Dark grey from Beaver Creek through Pointrock
Whitish-buff From Pointrock through Arbour Summit
Light grey from outside Arbour Summit down to where the red begins on the outskirts of Beaver Creek
Also mixed 'horticultural' yellowy/grey in the Arrowhead township area.

Everything was fine, I was reballasting and........ I ran out of red, .......whitish-buff ......and dark grey. :wits::wits:
Unfortunately the local suppliers no longer stock any of them!:crying:

Following Don's example, I made my way my local gravel quarry and paid Anglian Bagging Company a vist. They actually do the 'real' 1:1 track ballast and do stuff called 'granola' which is granite 'dust' or fines. This looked good but would, without comprehensive gluing, wash completely away. They also do a, what they call 5mm a slightly pinky grey granite chipping (really 1mm-5mm) and that looked to be just the ticket as a substitute for the dark grey that I had run out of...BUT.... they also showed me the ideal stuff...it is 5mm (1mm-5mm) dark grey granite which is actually smashed up 'real' ballast! Fantastic but the best part is the price....I asked for 2 x 25kg bags....£3 for both!!!:clap::D:D:clap:
a goodly group of nice guys who usually deal in very large multiple tonne orders but were really interested in what their product was now going to be used for.
Out of interest I measured a couple of average sized 'real' ballast lumps and they were about 50 to 80mm. Take a scale between 1:20.3 and 1:29, say 1:25, divide that into the 50mm and you get 2mm-3mm as the ideal size to replicate the real thing.....depending of course on where in the country or world 'real' ballast was being used.

Don Gilham

Model railways, Photography, anything lazy
28 May 2011
Broome, Norfolk
Best answers
Different colours is a good idea though Mike :clap:

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmm....sometimes I do wonder though Don!
I did it to both differentiate between the various areas of the layout and also to fit in with the garden scheme and other landscaping features. But the supply issues are certainly a challenge :-(

Don Gilham

Model railways, Photography, anything lazy
28 May 2011
Broome, Norfolk
Best answers
But the supply issues are certainly a challenge
I think Dudley can get Dorset 3mm pea gravel, if you're interested Mike ?

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Don Gilham said:
But the supply issues are certainly a challenge
I think Dudley can get Dorset 3mm pea gravel, if you're interested Mike ?
That sounds good Don but I do find that pea gravel is too smooth and 'slippery' and tends not to grip itself :thinking:..... or is 'Dorset pea' actually buff Limestone? If it is, then woooooppeeee :clap::clap:

I am coming over to Norwich tomorrow with the 'management' to do some sightseeing , embibing and shoppin' and will stop off at any garden centre that I come across on the way to see if they have the elusive white stuff or even possibly the red ! (sounds like a search for substances of a chemical nature 8| )

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
...and do stuff called 'granola' which is granite 'dust' or fines. This looked good but would, without comprehensive gluing, wash completely away.
A goodly number of us use "grano to dust" dry mixed with cement.
Packed/brushed around the sleepers, and then moistened with a plant sprayer.

afe42b52538c448c888c804e32ba809d.jpg

Holds the track quite well - maybe a little too rigid.

da7355f0419547f291b660888f99819e.jpg

Seems to support moss growth.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
MRail said:
beavercreek said:
...and do stuff called 'granola' which is granite 'dust' or fines. This looked good but would, without comprehensive gluing, wash completely away.
A goodly number of us use "grano to dust" dry mixed with cement.
Packed/brushed around the sleepers, and then moistened with a plant sprayer.

Holds the track quite well - maybe a little too rigid.
Seems to support moss growth.
Hi Robert
Yes I do like the look of the 'granola' as I have seen it on layouts in the USA where it doesn't rain much and it really seems to be 'right'...But....
As I have about 3 to 6 inches of gravel (10mm limestone or granite) as filler between the channels or just under most of the 'ballasting, gluing it will be a problem for me as I do want to be able to have the option of lifting and amending or even removing the track layout with ease.
But I must admit your photos show how 'right' it looks!

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
Yes I do like the look of the 'granola' as I have seen it on layouts in the USA where it doesn't rain much
We certainly get rain in the Vale of Clutter!
53c3da35b76042529bc56a540dafb393.jpg

Shows up the level problems too!

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
MRail said:
beavercreek said:
Yes I do like the look of the 'granola' as I have seen it on layouts in the USA where it doesn't rain much
We certainly get rain in the Vale of Clutter!
images

Shows up the level problems too!

Oouuuuuu yes, so you do!

The ones in the states don't have to use the glue but it is obviously working on your layout!

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Had a goodly trip up to Norwich today and on the way we stopped at a load of garden centres including the one at Bressingham where I found the very last 25kg bag of small 2-6mm buff limestone! Also some alpine pink from another :D:clap:
Had a pleasing time in Norwich but of course none of the toy shops had anything G scale but managed to get some weathering materials at the big shop, Langleys.