The SMR lives.

natdawson

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
After a having an extended break from all things garden railway for a number of years I've been able to lay a simple line in the garden. Unusually when asking for the required planning permission to invade the garden I was met with a very encouraging response and told to get on with it, so I did.

Initially I laid a simple and small loop in the space that was available at the time:

View media item 2300
This allowed me to finally get out some stock out and see if anything would still run, thankfully Roundhouse engineering being what it is the steam loco ran perfectly albeit a little fast for such a small loop.
I was also able to experiment with converting a very old LGB loco to battery power using a portable phone charger, an initial test run gave around four hours of running at a steady pace pulling two LGB four wheelers with little drop in speed until near the end.

Once the first section was complete except for ballasting an additional area of garden came up for grabs so an extended track plan was drawn up and laid out.

View media item 2301
The track used is PECO G45 which I prefer over LGB track due to its smaller profile and is screwed down onto some well seasoned (91 years old) floor joists which have been split in half to something like 5" x 2" in size and are treated and buried in the ground. In between the track and wood is a weed proof membrane which covers the whole of the area used to hopefully keep the weeds at bay.

The loco to carry out the all important first test run of the Sheringham Mining Railway was a vertical boilered Regner which my Dad has given to me on a long term loan and plodded around at a nice slow speed with a few skip wagons. Eventually it will have some sort of bodywork made up, possibly going down the Toby the tram style.

View media item 2208
View media item 2211
Since testing, slabs have been laid in the middle of the extended loop and the old bark chips which were over this part of the garden have been used to fill in round the slabs until such time when I can afford some stone for ballast. The only thing which I've had to pay out for so far is a box of screws for the track bed and some sand and cement for the slabs, so not too bad for around £35.

Now that the track is down, patio laid and planted I've been able to focus a little of the locos to be used, all of which will end up being modelled in 7/8ths.
Besides the Regner steam loco the line also has an old Roundhouse steam loco which has been bashed around a number of years ago and just needs the rear end addressing before painting properly and some finer details being added.

View media item 2292
The rest of the stock is all battery powered.
Firstly a scratch built steam loco which is loosely based on a LNER Y7. Using an LGB chassis it currently runs off of 3 AAs until such time as I can source another power pack.

View media item 2294
The second battery loco is again an LGB base but modified to run off of a portable phone charger power pack which has the benefit of a relatively quick charge, just needing a good USB charger to do the business.
The bodywork needs a fair bit of work but it runs which is the main thing.

View media item 2291
The third battery loco is based on a Marklin chassis and again modified to run off of a portable phone charger power pack. This is a bit slower but will pull more due to its weight. Again the body work is far from complete but it is getting there slowly.

View media item 2298
Rolling stock consists of some 7/8ths skip wagons and three LGB four wheelers waiting to be kit bashed into something local in design and more 7/8ths in size.

Future plans may involve one or two modifications to the existing set up with the addition of a branch to a mine and possibly a locoshed / charging area by the station area.

View media item 2302
This will involve some outlay for two points which I am currently lacking so this will have to wait a while until I have a reliable source of income.

But then I have enough to be doing in getting the rolling stock and locos anywhere near completion and the all important testing of course!

Reactions: 8 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent!
Keep up the good work..

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Love the Bardic lamp loco! if it was the other way round you'd have the biggest head lamp in G scale:D
Pete

Reactions: 1 user

natdawson

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Love the Bardic lamp loco! if it was the other way round you'd have the biggest head lamp in G scale:D
Pete

Now there's an idea! The idea behind using the Bardic lamp was to make something robust enough to survive my two boys and as I was given the modern version of a Bardic when I started with GBRf many years ago that one became redundant.

The Bardic body along with the Marklin chassis does make it fairly indestructable, unless I drive my Land Rover over it of course.

It does have two led lights on the front although not currently wired up so it still could be used as a torch in the future if desperate I guess.

natdawson

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent!
Keep up the good work..

Thanks, its been a long time coming. I'd got annoyed of the Roundhouse steam loco mocking me from the shelf it sat on one too many times and thought I should do something about it.

My eldest boy who's ten has throughly enjoyed himself playing with on of the battery locos and three wagons for most of the afternoon which is satisfying to see.

natdawson

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A small update on the SMR.

The framework for a new loco shelter has been constructed and wood stained and now awaits further detailing and some roofing sheets as and when money allows.

full

The intented location for the shelter is where at some point a headshunt will come off of the loop. When it's finished it will be installed complete with track but remain of un connected to the rest of the railway until I can get my hands on the extra point I need.

Bardic has also received some attention with new buffer beams, side skirts, cab floor, coupling rubbing plates fitted. A new front grill has also been made up although it has yet to be painted and fitted properly.

full

The articulated wagon is also in for some attention after it was found some of the materials used in the construction of its previous guise were suffering from being stored in a damp shed. A full strip down won't take too long and it'll hopefully be back in service soon.

Reactions: 4 users

natdawson

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Well its been a while since I last posted, but things have progressed when time and more importantly that increasingly scarce thing called money has been available.

The main area of progress has been on Bardic. Since the last update various improvements have been made to the electrical side of things including:

New direction switch added to a less conspicuous area, removing the old switch from the top of the body.
USB socket fitted in the space left by the old direction switch to allow for battery charging without having to take the body off.
Directional headlight /marker light LEDs fitted and wired up.
Connectors installed to allow the base to be separated from the body without having to cut the wires and then re-solder.

Cosmetically things have progressed as well:
Numerous holes, gouges and counter sunk screws have been filled and sanded smooth.
A wooden floor has been added.
A cab back, with handrails has been installed.
Access steps have been fitted both sides.
Dummy access panels for the wheels complete with grab handles have been added.
A start made on a control desk where there was once a hole, really need to add some controls sometime soon.

View media item 2973Ready for painting. No more big gouges or unwanted holes. Now with added details such as the access panels and grab handles.

View media item 2974Cab back sheet, handrails and wooden floor all in situ.

View media item 2977First coat of gloss applied so a bit thin in places. Handrails, handles and step edges picked out in white.

View media item 2978Crew members stuck back together after numerous accidents. The joys of resin figures!

View media item 2979The 'control desk' looks a bit bereft of controls and the usb port cover showing that I might have forgotten about it until after I put all the paints away.

Reactions: 3 users

natdawson

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Like many others the weather seemed to good on opportunity to miss running all things related in the garden.

Bardic had its first test runs since its new coat of paint looking the part with the four wheel and bogie wagons.

The recent addition of horticultural grit as ballast has helped immensely and has reduced the amount of rubbish on the track by a substantial margin with very little tree bark now getting in the way.

View media item 3023
View media item 3024
View media item 3025
Finally after what has been far too long a time I've managed to track down the fault on my Dads bogie wagon which caused it to jump off the track every time it got the slightest inkling of a corner coming up.
The bogie was catching on part of the body but in a very subtle and annoying to find way.

View media item 3026
View media item 3027
View media item 3028
View media item 3029

Reactions: 4 users

natdawson

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I've spent some time playing around with making a new wagon for the line after a couple of older wagons fell apart releasing some wheelsets and axleboxes.

View media item 3039
View media item 3040
View media item 3041
View media item 3043
View media item 3045
Having proved the concept I'm now considering making some others by salvaging more wheelsets and axleboxes. I don't think they'll all be flat decked but I'm not sure what else to make just yet.

Overall I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out. Plenty of detail still to add but it runs well and is just right for what I want.

Attachments

• d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    675.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users