Are there any British style G scale trains?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The sad thing is at Ellerman Lines 35029 was rescued from Barry Scrapyard and sectioned to show how a steam loco worked. It had a drive unit beneath it to simulate operation etc. A wonderful exhibit to demonstrate the simple science behind the steam engine. All the money spent on the ‘lab’ at York but none spent on getting this exhibit operating again! A real missed opportunity!
Yes that was the loss of a real ‘interpretation and educational’ part of the now seriously dumbed down NRM theme park.

Lordraglan274

Too much of a good thing is nearly enough.
25 Oct 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag
I decided as I couldn't get a British G scale diesel, a little poetic licence and a paintbrush was needed.

18.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
See this month's Garden Rail about a German railcar converted to a British (German made) railcar

Lordraglan274

Too much of a good thing is nearly enough.
25 Oct 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag
I 'converted' my German railcar by painting it BR green with whiskers.
197  Railbus 04.04.23.jpg

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Indeed a number of the German Railbuses survive, I think the Worth Valley and the North Norfolk are custodians of the survivors.
There are four still in existence one each at the above and one at the Ribble Railway and the other at the East Anglia Rly museum.2333EB7E-59CD-47B2-B68D-475EA252EE2F.jpeg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
There are four still in existence one each at the above and one at the Ribble Railway and the other at the East Anglia Rly museum.View attachment 323767
We travelled on it on the NNR years ago, grabbing the seat along side the driver is a brilliant way to ride!

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I've often thought that a shuttle layout built around a railcar might be one of the most satisfying layouts to run, especially with a three-way point at either end so you had a number of possible routes the train could follow according to how you set the points at each end.

We rode on the NNR railcar in May, 2019, and noticed that they had two for the price of one with cat's whiskers at one end and a yellow rectangle at the other. DSCF0216.JPGDSCF0217.JPGDSCF0219.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
I've often thought that a shuttle layout built around a railcar might be one of the most satisfying layouts to run
I'm trying to build an end-to-end layout for my tram. It is DCC but there is a problem, as the shuttle electronics board doesn't accept function numbers the interior lights don't come on. I might need a different shuttle unit, given the price of electronics these days this is feasible.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Im trying to build an end-to-end layout for my tram. It is DCC but there is a problem, as the shuttle electronics board doesn't accept function numbers the interior lights don't come on. I might need a different shuttle unit, given the price of electronics these days this is feasible.
Or just run a daytime service.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Or just run a daytime service.
Er, after fitting the tram with digitickle, passengers etc I would really like the perishing lights to work, all a fiddle with it being a tiny thing - and it was expensive*, I think I took it to bits about five times and each go I was scared of damaging it. Is lighting too much to ask? I actually contacted the maker of the shuttlething who assured me it would work. He was wrong and I have no lights. :wondering:
* A Tillig tram with the Jägermeister logo, 'nuff said?

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Er, after fitting the tram with digitickle, passengers etc I would really like the perishing lights to work, all a fiddle with it being a tiny thing - and it was expensive*, I think I took it to bits about five times and each go I ws scared of damaging it. Is lighting too much to ask? I actually contacted the maker of the shuttlething who assured me it would work. He was wrong and I have no lights. :wondering:
* A Tillig tram with the Jägermeister logo, 'nuff said?
A search on Google and I can see what you mean.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Is the shuttle DCC or Annie-log?
If the latter, then there are bit-wise CV's that set what is 'on' or 'off' when running on DC..

It may be a CV that needs changing?

PhilP

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Is the shuttle DCC or Annie-log?
If the latter, then there are bit-wise CV's that set what is 'on' or 'off' when running on DC..

It may be a CV that needs changing?

PhilP
Phil, read the posting properly. I said it is DCC and does not accept CVs, functions and defo doesn't run DC at all. I know how to set CVs for a decoder but this thing defies me.