Are there any British style G scale trains?

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, Are there any British style 45mm G scale trains? Having a bit of trouble finding any. Can be any type. Thanks.

Monty

Registered
16 Apr 2018
Springwood, NSW, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,
I have a Bachmann Baldwin 2-4-2 steam locomotive " Lyn " in Southern livery. [Item nr 91196]
It was manufactured in 1898 for the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway. The locomotive was shipped in "knock-down" state and re-assembled at Pilton shed. Unfortunately "Lyn" was scrapped when the line was forced to close in 1935 due to declining traffic but the line has since been restored and a replica has been reconstructed. May be a start although not British style.
Converted to battery R/C, had to replace the motor gearbox, hope this one lasts.
1652257671239.png
Ian

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
LGB did an English version of a French Tank that worked in quarries (Cambrai). But your best bet is the Thomas range by Bachman some items of which are not adorned with faces etc.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The other alternative are live steam, and kits, there is plenty to choose from, but not from the large RTR companies.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Chris

You are finding the same problem that I had when I first started modelling in G Scale, some years ago now. When I started, there were no commercially made ready to run G Scale items in British Outline, only European or US. For me this was not necessarily a problem, before coming to G Scale I used to model freelance scratch built British outline narrow gauge in O-16.5, it had the merit of being cheap, and as anyone can tell you, I am cheap, and you could create your own look. This is the ethos that I brought to my G Scale modelling. I bought items from the LGB Toy Train range, as cheaply as I could, and remodelled them into freelance British narrow gauge models. LGB US and European coaches were kit bashed to Anglicise their appearance. I have created my own Corporate identity for my railway and I have the satisfaction on knowing that all of my models are pretty much unique. I realise that this is not for everyone as we do not all have the same level of modelling skills (oops, did not intend to sound pompous). If you want to see some of my models, check out my Media Albums below.
https://www.gscalecentral.net/media/albums/the-claptowte-railway-passenger-stock.134/
https://www.gscalecentral.net/media/albums/the-claptowte-railway-freight-stock.47/
https://www.gscalecentral.net/media/albums/the-claptowte-railway-locomotives.241/

To answer your question, regarding British outline ready to run stock, the only manufacturer that I am aware of is Accucraft, although I an not sure how readily available they are these days, no doubt someone will be able to advise. With a minimum of modification, items from the Bachmann G Scale Thomas and Friends range may suit.

dig 220318009.JPG

dig 180303005.JPG

dig 150829004.JPG

David

Reactions: 1 users

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, Are there any British style 45mm G scale trains? Having a bit of trouble finding any. Can be any type. Thanks.
Hello, If youre looking for "ready to run", you might have trouble. However, there are loads of little companies making kits for freelance or some actual models. Have a look here for a start:

Then look under "suppliers". Hope this helps you.

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
If you want narrow gauge most 16mm/ft stock is available in either 32mm or 45mm gauge. Accucraft produce a range of IoM stock 15mm/ft, 45mm gauge (most no longer in production but available second hand). For standard gauge you are better going for G1, though Aristocraft did make a class 66 a few years ago to 1/29 scale that can be found second hand at a price.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I think railwayman198 probably has the best solution, and David's conversions are well worth looking at

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
There is always the Bachmann Thomas range if you are willing to do a little work.
Emily can be turned into something approaching a Stirling Single and the rolling stock with a bit of paint can be made to look the part too.DCAAC83A-DEAF-4880-8BDF-AF3F6C606F4B.jpegDCE3B4B8-480A-4436-B20F-D3AAFC867CB9.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

Attachments

• 1652424009589.jpg
    1652424009589.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 2 users

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
These two started life out as a LGB Stainz

stainz.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Wow! thanks for the replies & some great pictures I didn't think there were any answers as I do not get any notices But thanks again for the info & inks.
Just had a look & I should get notices, but I am not ???.

Last edited:

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I didn't think there were any answers

If you look to the top right of the screen, do you see a number (in a red square?) next to the "bell" symbol?

If someone gives your post a reaction (thumbs up, or whatever), or quotes some or all of a message you wrote, you should get an alert there when you next access the site (and are logged on). Two people (one of whom was me) had quoted part of your message.

Ditto (but next to the "envelope" symbol) if someone sends you a private message.

Cheers

David

craigwrdouglas2

Registered
29 Jun 2021
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Aristocraft did class 66s in gscale, they should still be available as a s/h proposition.

1654630701979.png

Reactions: 1 user

craigwrdouglas2

Registered
29 Jun 2021
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
If I ever am able to start a model railroad company i will try to make British stuff AFTER I make an SD60 and a USRA heavy pacific

:)

G45 is not a popular scale amongst the companies that deal with the British market - we are mostly focused on OO(HO) and N, but there has been a massive upturn in O Gauge lately.

Reactions: 2 users

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
There's always the Lionel Harry Potter Express. Though, I believe the more recent versions aren't quite 45mm gauge whereas the earlier ones were. Ironically, the only ones I can find on eBay are in the USA. Eg

Rik