Another 'lumpy' Mallet problem..

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I have had a Mallet come back to me..
One motor was a little poorly, so both were replaced. The idlers do not appear to be worn, but the loco is 'jerky'..
Seems to be the rear motor-block / bogie assembly.

I know you will all say 'quartering', but it appears good. - I have moved a tooth either way, at both ends, but it has not improved it.
Motor-block pulls less than an amp, at any speed I run it on rollers. Presently have 8 x AA's strapped to it, and running it round the garden.
This model has press-on wheels, and this block has the reeds (for track magnets) and a chuff sensor axle.. The only thing I have not done is remove the 'chuff' axle to check the wheels have been pressed back on 'in quarter'. - I believe this to be OEM, but could be wrong?

Any other ideas?
Thanks,
PhilP.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Just make sure the chuff magnet is not rubbing on the sensor. I had one that was.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Just make sure the chuff magnet is not rubbing on the sensor. I had one that was.

Thanks Mike, I will check that..

It is definitely the rear assembly that is the problem.. I have run it off the loco, and it is still lumpy.
Beginning to wonder if the new motor is the problem? - I may get another motor and swap it out.. Easier than stripping both blocks!

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
More on this..

it appears to be worn idlers, but getting replacements is proving problematical..

LGB 62145 would appear to be the old part number, but I am unable to find a new 'E' number for these..

The Marklin/LGB shop seems to guide you to E133761, but these are grey and for a Mogul..
The ones I want are white, and the 'straight cut' gear is wider.

Any help with a source, the 'E' part number, or a pair of these someone is prepared to part with, appreciated.

Thanks
PhilP.

kim

retired at last
27 Apr 2015
Cleveleys
Best answers
Country flag
You'll find these available from the states, Only Trains have them in stock. Champex Linden will probably have them but you then get into minimum order etc etc.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You'll find these available from the states, Only Trains have them in stock. Champex Linden will probably have them but you then get into minimum order etc etc.

Swings and roundabouts...
Minimum order from Germany, or carriage, VAT, and admin. charges from The States..

This is dragging-on, so would like to get the parts fairly quickly..
The Marklin site seems to point to the wrong part?? - My German is non-existent, but following the exploded diagram, and they trawling the parts-list, leads to the wrong idler, E133761..
Hence my trying to find the 'E' part number for the correct item.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
One quick easy cure for a lumpy Mallet - a Mr Lumpy Hammer (large). :rock::giggle::giggle::giggle:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
One quick easy cure for a lumpy Mallet - a Mr Lumpy Hammer (large). :rock::giggle::giggle::giggle:

Keep up Bob! :rolleyes:

I still haven't found my bl**dy lump hammer!! :banghead::banghead:

kim

retired at last
27 Apr 2015
Cleveleys
Best answers
Country flag
Swings and roundabouts...
Minimum order from Germany, or carriage, VAT, and admin. charges from The States..

This is dragging-on, so would like to get the parts fairly quickly..
The Marklin site seems to point to the wrong part?? - My German is non-existent, but following the exploded diagram, and they trawling the parts-list, leads to the wrong idler, E133761..6
Hence my trying to find the 'E' part number for the correct item.

Go for the states, same language, buy more than you need so you are future proof and the loco runs as it should! Can I suggest you buy spare gear boxes as well if it's for Uintah or Sumpter mallets, they are cheap and worthwhile.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I believe older LGB # to be 62145

Thanks Bill.. Got that one, but am not able to match it to a new 'E' number.. LGB supplied the newer E133761, which will not fit. :(:shake:

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have had a Mallet come back to me..
One motor was a little poorly, so both were replaced. The idlers do not appear to be worn, but the loco is 'jerky'..
Seems to be the rear motor-block / bogie assembly.

I know you will all say 'quartering', but it appears good. - I have moved a tooth either way, at both ends, but it has not improved it.
Motor-block pulls less than an amp, at any speed I run it on rollers. Presently have 8 x AA's strapped to it, and running it round the garden.
This model has press-on wheels, and this block has the reeds (for track magnets) and a chuff sensor axle.. The only thing I have not done is remove the 'chuff' axle to check the wheels have been pressed back on 'in quarter'. - I believe this to be OEM, but could be wrong?

Any other ideas?
Thanks,
PhilP.

Need to know which mallet as the original 2085D had a motor that is different on one end than the 62201. I have a friend that modifies these on a lathe to make them fit.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Need to know which mallet as the original 2085D had a motor that is different on one end than the 62201. I have a friend that modifies these on a lathe to make them fit.

I'm intrigued, could you provide more details?

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Could this refer to the 'anti-rotation' collar, perhaps?

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Phil, I went to the TrainLi site and looked up g scale at top of page then clicked on parts for LGB slid over to repair parts (not common ) selected steam engines, again sliding over and it brings up a list of their engines, was unable to click on you engine as the list is too long but you can click enter and it will bring up list of engines and I selected yours And on second page it shows your gears and lists them as part # 82501005, hope this helps, Axel @ TrainLi is sometimes hard to get a hold of but his wife who owns the business Joane Tillmann, I have found to be very helpful, hope this helps, Bill

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
hope this helps,

Hi Bill,
You already 'fed' me Axel's email address.. Thank you. :)
TrainLi 'aggregate' orders from Europe, and have a source over there.. Parts are on order, and I expect to got notification of costs in a week, or so..

Will update the thread when I get parts, and can (hopefully) sort the problem.
PhilP.

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Well knew I had given you Axel's email but didn't think I had given you the part #, glad you've gotten it taken care of. I also have a galloping engine but it's a mogul chassis, I've replaced all the gears and the motor but it still wants to wobble. Just put it to the side until I can get a pair of rollers as it's hard to see the problem when on the track. Please let me know your progress, I'm beginning to wonder if I have a bent axle or something, Bill