Would the LGB Chloe run on a R0 circle track?

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I am thinking about running my Chloe train around the Christmas tree in winter. I've measured the gap and it looks like we are 5cm too narrow for R1 (sofa and wall blocking it). I looked up R0 which you can get from Heyn and before I take the plunge on importing over £100 worth of track I wonder if anyone has any experiences with this?

I am looking to run the loco plus a few wagons at a slow speed, so it doesn't have to be perfect just want to get the most use out of my train as possible rather than it being packed away at the end of summer.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I've run my Bachmann streetcar on the Hartland tight circle of track that they used to sell. I think the diameter of the completed circle is around 30". It runs smoothly around this circle.

Of course you could move the sofa or the wall.....:rofl:

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, thats good to know!
Of course you could move the sofa or the wall.....
To save £100 I did think of temporarily taking the door off its hinges so the sofa could be pushed a bit closer to the door frame, but then I have a door frame I have to store somewhere

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, thats good to know!

To save £100 I did think of temporarily taking the door off its hinges so the sofa could be pushed a bit closer to the door frame, but then I have a door frame I have to store somewhere
What about re-radiusing some R1? I've got a track bender and a stack of spare curves.

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
What about re-radiusing some R1? I've got a track bender and a stack of spare curves.
I don't think I am skilled enough to do that...

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I can have a bash if you like.
Wow! Thanks for the offer, but it's probably not worth your time for the extra £40 it would cost (a complete circle of R1 would cost £80, vs R0 £120)

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Wow! Thanks for the offer, but it's probably not worth your time for the extra £40 it would cost (a complete circle of R1 would cost £80, vs R0 £120)
I've been selling circles of R1 for £30. I've got some Aristocraft large radius curves with US spaced sleepers which I have been wondering what to do with. I might have a go at reshaping them. I you give me an idea of what radius would be suitable for your needs I'll see if it is feasible. If you don't want them there may be another forumite who's been looking for something like this.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
The Chloe will run on very small radius tracks but there maybe a problem with couplings due to overhang. I find the best way is to run the loco backwards & couple to the smoke box end

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe buy a 45mm Christmas set from your local garden centre. This will have some nice plastic track in a very tight radius, so you will need to sort out power to the loco, but some batteries in a trailer would be easy enough to do.

I use the Cliff Barker flexi-track. That will bend to the radius you are looking at and can be bent by hand. Cut a wooden circle to lay it on and just take your time fixing it down.

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I've been selling circles of R1 for £30. I've got some Aristocraft large radius curves with US spaced sleepers which I have been wondering what to do with. I might have a go at reshaping them. I you give me an idea of what radius would be suitable for your needs I'll see if it is feasible. If you don't want them there may be another forumite who's been looking for something like this.
That’s a nice offer, thanks. I’ll have to rearrange the furniture and get out the tape measure to get the exact width which I have available.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I wonder if a Spremberger would run on them? I know the PM locos will run on R0.9 because that is what the plastic track is and the electric and RC locos are the same wheelbase.

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
That would be great. Just measured up and the outside diameter is 110cm. I would need at least 2 180degree sections so I can make up an oval.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I would need at least 2 180degree sections so I can make up an oval.
Oh Kay...............
So, unless you are using a flux-capacitor power buffer...
Where would you put a third 180 degree section? :wondering::nerd:
:):giggle:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Oh Kay...............
So, unless you are using a flux-capacitor power buffer...
Where would you put a third 180 degree section? :wondering::nerd:
:):giggle:
I am confused. A circle is 360degrees, half a circle is 180degrees. I'm not sure how the track would be built (35degree, 45degree, 90degree, 180degree sections) but I would need a min of 2x 180-degree sections (or 4x 90degree, or 8x 45degree etc) so I can join them with the straight track to make an oval.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
BTW once you have your track sorted don't lay it directly on carpet as you fill get fluff and fibres in the loco works and it will leave a nice circular impossible to remove black stain!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I am confused. A circle is 360degrees, half a circle is 180degrees. I'm not sure how the track would be built (35degree, 45degree, 90degree, 180degree sections) but I would need a min of 2x 180-degree sections (or 4x 90degree, or 8x 45degree etc) so I can join them with the straight track to make an oval.
R1 track comes in 30 deg sections, 600 mm radius (2 ft in old money) so you need 12 to make a circle. They are approx 300 mm long.

Note, if you re-radius R1 to say 500 mm for your tree, you will find that you will have to trim at least one of them down.

Some one else here can do the maths for Pi!

If you purchase from Ebay Mike, I'm sure he will do the necessary for you, as he's helpful like that....

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have a 30 inch diameter circle and the chloe does not run on that and it is the rear pony truck that derails. On another note, the LGB stainz type motor block and the USA Trains short motor block do run on my 30 inch circle and I body mounted Kadee's on may short LGB FRR cars and the HLW kit cars (note all cars have metal wheels).

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I would think that the 0-4-2 locos Chloe and Olomana are not the best choice for running on such a tight radius due to the trailing truck as Dan mentions. You'd be better off with one of the 0-4-0 Feldbahn steam locos although that has a lot of rear overhang so might struggle with the rear coupling. The little Feldbahn diesel or the Bachmann Davenport should be fine though.

Can't resist a gratuitous pic of my pair of 0-4-2s , with a Davenport in the background :D

DSCN2499b.jpg

Last edited:

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
I've been giving this some thought and have used up several pages in my notepad for calculations. A calculator is fine but this way I can see how I got to where I am and potentially where I went wrong!!!
Given that Dan has reported the 30 inch diameter track would not work and that Daniel's maximum available space (including clearance for loco and stock overhang/outswing) is 110cm. I looked for a simple (and cost effective) solution which would provide a circle that would fit comfortably within the parameters provided, have the ability to be expanded into an oval, yet give stock a fighting chance of coping with the tight radius. My answer (unless someone can throw a spanner into the works) is to use ten R1 curves as a basis - 5 for each half circle. This obviously restricts track formations but as it will likely be a one-off I can't see any difficulties. My calculations suggest the finished article would have a diameter of approximately 97cms. The length of the outer rail would remain unchanged - just carefully reshaped after removal from the sleeper webbing. The inner rail will need shortening by a few millimetres after bending. Small cuts will have to be made in the web between the sleepers at the inner ends and I envisage reassembly will include the use of a contact adhesive between the plastic base and the brass rail to restore some rigidity. LGB rail joiners will be refitted although brass clamps could be used if preferred. If anyone has any thoughts I would welcome them. I am going to give this a try in the not too distant future just to see 'what if' and also to see if the 38.25" diameter would be compatible with R1's 48" to produce a viable double track for short wheelbase operations.