Would the LGB Chloe run on a R0 circle track?

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
The Feldbahn locos run easily on R0 track but buffer locking of the LGB rolling stock is an issue I find.
HLW wagons cope OK despite the v stiff couplings.
Bear in mind though, if you go to the expense of buying a Feldbahn not to run it for more than 20mins continuously. I did, result, burnt out motor and they are v difficult to source nowadays. I got mine purely by the kind help of a Forumite here.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I was going to say, the Feldbahn loco's, have a different, smaller motor..
Not as robust, and very prone to running hot.

Better on pure DC, but still problematical. - I think they are lovely, but won't have one, because of this.

I spent many hours trying to find a 'cure', when I was fitting DCC.

PhilP

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Bear in mind though, if you go to the expense of buying a Feldbahn not to run it for more than 20mins continuously. I did, result, burnt out motor and they are v difficult to source nowadays. I got mine purely by the kind help of a Forumite here.
Feldbahn motor is a standard Champex-Linden part. Someone on here (Garden Railway Outlet) supplied my replacement. Yes, they do tend to run warm. Mine survived 18 years, not knowing the 20 min. rule.... in the end it really was just a clogged commutator (which I have sine cleaned up, and saved as a spare for use in about another 18 years time.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Curious?
It attributes that to me, and not Keith?? :wondering:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
We had one on the Ruschbahn that had a tender fitted so that a soundboard could be fitted with extra pickups to make it run satisfactorily. Worked the Cuckoo Clock Sidings and was under power most of the day at operating sessions, but as it was only used for shunting the Factory did not run for much more than 20 or so minutes a day if that. Was very good once the tender added, useless as a shunter without it. Got sold after Andy died via Glendale Junction in 2012/13. I wonder where it is now?

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Thought it about time I revisited this project. Used the clever method detailed on this forum some time ago to remove the rail joiners without damaging anything. Drew myself a template for the required track using a homemade radius thingy. Note the use of a GENUINE rubber ruler, compliments of Texas Homecare back in the '80s. They sold this as a one metre straightedge, but it quickly reshaped itself into something close to useless and was only good for approximately measuring the length of things. I just drilled a few holes and a pivot point so I could mark a selection of radii to select the best. You'll have to look really closely to see the faint pencil lines. After using the rail-bender to get the first bit to the right shape I proceeded to do all ten pieces. Now spot the schoolboy error - I neglected to measure the actual length of the outside rail. It's 328mm which is nowhere near the figure I had assumed, so placing five pieces in the correct place reveals I will have to trim one piece to fit with the four longer ones to make a half-circle. I could have had another go at the radius so five equal lengths would fit, but due to the restricted area the OP outlined that wouldn't do. On well, back to the notepad/calculator. We will end up with eight identical curves using full length R1 outside rails and two shorter pieces (one for each half-circle) to gain the full 360 degrees. Enough physical work for today. To be continued...................................

P1060652 (2).JPGP1060654 (2).JPGP1060657 (2).JPGP1060658 (2).JPGP1060659 (2).JPGP1060661 (2).JPGP1060662 (2).JPGP1060663 (2).JPG

Last edited:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I'm following this with great interest, Mike.

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Had a spare half-hour while it pi chucked it down. A small progression but looks promising. It sits within R1, but not too sure about clearances for suitability as double track. This will meet the original requirements, but a revised radius may need to be adopted for other use. Only a small decrease in gauge of 0.3mm compared to stock R1, which I hope will be within acceptable parameters. Note the small segments cut out of the inner band of the sleeper webbing. I reckon small fillets of a suitable material glued underneath each break will restore some rigidity and strength, but not to the extent of an elephant standing on it.
P1060670 (2).JPGP1060666 (2).JPGP1060669 (2).JPGP1060668 (2).JPGP1060671 (2).JPG

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Had a spare half-hour while it pi chucked it down. A small progression but looks promising. It sits within R1, but not too sure about clearances for suitability as double track. This will meet the original requirements, but a revised radius may need to be adopted for other use. Only a small decrease in gauge of 0.3mm compared to stock R1, which I hope will be within acceptable parameters. Note the small segments cut out of the inner band of the sleeper webbing. I reckon small fillets of a suitable material glued underneath each break will restore some rigidity and strength, but not to the extent of an elephant standing on it.
View attachment 287385View attachment 287386View attachment 287387View attachment 287388View attachment 287389
Looking good.

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Small update, but a big stride. I have managed to fabricate my first half-circle. The sleeper web is not yet glued in place as I want to try and see what will go round before I commit. It fits comfortably inside R1, but as mentioned above I'm none too sure of clearances. However, for the purpose of the original exercise this would appear to meet all the criteria. Hope to do some testing in the next few days and will report back. The kit of parts laid out need to be duplicated for a full circle. Note the short length required to achieve this radius and the precision track cutter!!! Just for information - the inner rail only needs around 5mm trimmed off on the new 'standard' curves.

P1060687 (2).JPGP1060688 (2).JPGP1060689 (2).JPG

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
SWMBO went out this morning so I grabbed the opportunity to do a bit more. Got further than I anticipated. Second half-circle completed and some testing done. This thread's original question was "Would the LGB Chloe run on a R0 circle track?". I don't have either a Chloe or some R0 curves, but from my experiments I would lean more towards a resounding "no". I'm none too sure whether Chloe is going to satisfactorily negotiate my production - we will have to wait and see.
Daniel's requirements were for track to run round his Christmas tree and for the curves to fit inside a space of 110cm, which was to include the clearance of loco and rolling stock overhang. So what we have got is a circle of just under 98cm diameter (outside rail edge to outside rail edge), which leaves 6cm for vehicle swing. If only SWB stock is used I believe that should be adequate.
An oval incorporating two 300mm straights was put together and I commenced the testing with the smallest of my locos that was to hand plus a selection of rolling stock. Otto type engine plus Toytrain wagon and coach, starter set coach and a Zillertal beer wagon (which matches the wheelbase of the longer LGB stuff). I quickly discovered the latter was unsuitable due to coupling clearance, a tendency for the wheels and pivoting axles to bind plus putting the total weight at it's limit. Otto ran well at slow speed with the rest of the train, but I suspect the last coach was causing a little wheel slip due to the weight needing to be hauled round the sharp radius.
Next, as I couldn't lay my hands on a Stainz I used a 2017d type (with tender because the loco only has a finger type hook to connect at the rear). That went fine too.
Time to be a bit more adventurous. PIKO 0-6-0 with the same load. It coped with the radius quite well due to there being a significant amount of sideplay on the centre axle. I did notice a little hesitancy, but that could be down to the cra dirt on those awful wheels.
Next up a Spreewald 2-6-0. A complete no-no. At the first curve the leading pony wheels jumped over the outside rail due to the front framework restricting sideways movement.
Last gasp was an LGB Ballerina. For a moment I thought it was going to make it but the lack of play in the axles meant it was too tight and climbed up the outside rail coming to a halt.
Apart from needing to cut some redundant sleepers into suitable lengths and glue to the underside of the sleeper webbing, that's it. A job for next week as other tasks have to take priority now (and SWMBO is returned). One small compromise is that the standard LGB power connections will not fit over the new thicker track base on the curves, so may have to be positioned elsewhere. Photos and a short video below. I may create a proper thread in the trackwork section (when I have time) for easier reference if anyone else wants to give it a try. I plan to produce one more example of this for a forumite who has already expressed interest, but that will be all due to the time it takes and the mountain of other things I need to do. I am a sucker for a challenge and just wanted to see if it could be done.
PS: the yelp on the video is not wheel squeal, it's next door's pooch - a squidgy little Dachshund which wouldn't even fill a Lidl's demi-baguette.
P1060690 (2).JPGP1060691 (2).JPGP1060692 (2).JPGP1060693.JPGP1060694.JPGP1060695 (2).JPGP1060696 (2).JPG

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent work, Mike..

How did you make next door's dog yelp, at just the right time? :wasntme:
:giggle::giggle:

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent work, Mike..

How did you make next door's dog yelp, at just the right time? :wasntme:
:giggle::giggle:
'Twasn't me, much as I would like to kick it into permanent silence. Not a lover of dogs as one local owner can confirm. She got very irate when I demanded to know where she lived so I could reciprocate her animal's actions on HER front garden. Admittedly I wasn't quite so polite in my request. There are many dog walkers who think the grass outside our houses are an authorised canine toilet - and it stinks. It's extremely unpleasant having to watch where I'm standing when cutting the hedge and doing the gardening. Rant concluded.

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
'Twasn't me, much as I would like to kick it into permanent silence. Not a lover of dogs as one local owner can confirm. She got very irate when I demanded to know where she lived so I could reciprocate her animal's actions on HER front garden. Admittedly I wasn't quite so polite in my request. There are many dog walkers who think the grass outside our houses are an authorised canine toilet - and it stinks. It's extremely unpleasant having to watch where I'm standing when cutting the hedge and doing the gardening. Rant concluded.
We had a similar problem as our garden is open plan and abuts a footpath. We ended up laying a thick slate border and erecting a light post and rope fence. This stopped the problem overnight as the dogs don't seem to like walking over the slate and most owners now realise it's our garden and don't let their dogs crap there in the first place!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
We had a similar problem as our garden is open plan and abuts a footpath. We ended up laying a thick slate border and erecting a light post and rope fence. This stopped the problem overnight as the dogs don't seem to like walking over the slate and most owners now realise it's our garden and don't let their dogs crap there in the first place!
Folks, it's not the dogs, it's the owners who need a damn good kicking

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Another small step. One half of the circle was assembled face down and matched to the radius line I had drawn for the project. Temporarily held in place with a couple of pieces of gaffer tape to prevent any movement. I cut some short strengthening pieces from redundant sleeper webbing and glued them across the cuts I had made underneath the inner rail. I used Evo-Stick contact adhesive - the old type (petroleum based?) which has been lurking in my garage for years. I've used the newer type not long ago and it doesn't have the guts the 'proper' stuff used to have. Left to set and fully harden overnight before I do the other semi-circle. I know this isn't going to have the strength the unmodified track has but hopefully it will do the job. As I am not using any factory facilities my measuring and cutting skills will not be consistent throughout so to ensure the bits go together properly each time I have colour coded the track joints to try and ensure an as near as possible true half circle when the pieces are joined up.

P1060820 (2).JPGP1060828 (2).JPGP1060824 (2).JPGP1060821.JPG

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Another small step. One half of the circle was assembled face down and matched to the radius line I had drawn for the project. Temporarily held in place with a couple of pieces of gaffer tape to prevent any movement. I cut some short strengthening pieces from redundant sleeper webbing and glued them across the cuts I had made underneath the inner rail. I used Evo-Stick contact adhesive - the old type (petroleum based?) which has been lurking in my garage for years. I've used the newer type not long ago and it doesn't have the guts the 'proper' stuff used to have. Left to set and fully harden overnight before I do the other semi-circle. I know this isn't going to have the strength the unmodified track has but hopefully it will do the job. As I am not using any factory facilities my measuring and cutting skills will not be consistent throughout so to ensure the bits go together properly each time I have colour coded the track joints to try and ensure an as near as possible true half circle when the pieces are joined up.

View attachment 288450View attachment 288452View attachment 288453View attachment 288454
A man with an eye for detail and who looks ahead.

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looking great ebay mike ebay mike , thanks for all this hard work!

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
No rain this morning so finished the other half-circle. Just need to leave them for a couple of days so the adhesive is well and truly hard. So hopefully task completed (on this set - another one is in the pipeline). Just need to sort out a sturdy box and the shipping. It's going to be over the RM standard parcel limit of
2kg so could be a Hermes job.

P1060829 (2).JPG