Wiring plan for control panel.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Trevor, if you've made the decision to buy an MTSIII setup, are you planning to order it from Modell-Land? If so, they are now offering their "own" branded decoders (though I suspect they are possibly being made by Massoth for them?), such as this one here which is a direct replacement for an LGB 55021:

It might be worth you ordering the decoders you need at the same time as you order your control setup, and get them all for one lot of flat-rate shipping.....?

DISCLAIMER: I know nothing about ML's relatively new "own brand" decoders beyond what I've seen on their website, I've only recently noticed them there - does anyone here have any further info on them, and/or has anyone actually bought any yet?

If you want to buy Massoth decoders here in the UK, and get plenty of support and advice on them too, then the obvious place to go is to Muns (Mark), at Garden Rail Outlet.....

Jon.

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, and Yes... one of my backlog of jobs is re writing the Massoth Service Tool Templates into English!

View attachment 254335

So, what's you opinion of them, John? Are they indeed Massoth-made decoders simply "re-badged" by ML, as I assumed, or are they Massoth designs made by someone else under licence for ML? Either way, are they up to the expected Massoth quality?
They certainly seem to be at very good prices....

Jon.

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks, John, that's VERY interesting.... has there been any discussion of them here on GSC before, have I just missed seeing it? At the prices, and with the features offered, they would seem to be a VERY cost-effective option....

Jon.

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Hi again. I'm just sitting back at the moment to see how this develops, while people who really know what they are talking about fort this out. If Modell-Land is the place to go to that's fine. I'll see how this decoder thread resolves itself as it would be good to purchase everything in one go. I will probably do as suggested previously, i.e., keep the analogue working for point control at the moment. I have a couple of Linesman's huts I can offer for sale as well as point and section boxes to help offset the costs.
Continuing thanks.
Trevor

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, just spotted this:

yes, I know, it's NOT MTS3, but MTS2. If it's cheap enough, it may be a way into digital control to test the water before deciding if digital is for you. The point modules will work with any future system, and the transformer could be reused. If at first you're not too bothered about sound, then the obsolete ( serial ) way of sending F commands won't bother you.

But only worth having if it's not expensive. And it all works....!!

Let's see what others think....

Malcolm

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Last edited:

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Malcolm. I'll watch that. T

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Hi again. I'm trying to keep up with this. So a summary of Option 1.
Buy:
MTS III & handheld £360
4 x Massoth 'L' decoders (for 2 Stainz, a Schoema and a yellow Kof £140
2 x Massoth 'M' decoders for Spreewald and Harz 2-6-2. £100

Plus work needed to fit and some fettling to adapt Stainz.
Is this it or are other bits needed bearing in mind that points are remaining analogue at the moment and sound isn't on the menu?
Trevor

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hi again. I'm trying to keep up with this. So a summary of Option 1.
Buy:
MTS III & handheld £360
4 x Massoth 'L' decoders (for 2 Stainz, a Schoema and a yellow Kof £140
2 x Massoth 'M' decoders for Spreewald and Harz 2-6-2. £100

Plus work needed to fit and some fettling to adapt Stainz.
Is this it or are other bits needed bearing in mind that points are remaining analogue at the moment and sound isn't on the menu?
Trevor

Trevor, I think we established earlier that your Spreewald and yellow KoF are almost certainly already decoder-equipped - so decoders for them can come off your list!

The Harz 2-6-2 would need a L decoder (or an XL), not an M - the M is a little tiny decoder designed for use in the Feldbahn locos; it IS just about capable of running something like a Stainz, but I wouldn't put one in your 2-6-2.

Jon.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon and apologies. I think today has given me brain-overload. So, I have saved some money. I'll mull things over for a couple of days. Would the same decoder for the Harz apply to the Spreewald which has the silver 'D' sticker?
Trevor

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Firstly I see no issue with completing your setup so that you can Runs Trains in Analogue mode. Next nothing you have done will effect your Digital Setup when you install it. Just 2 wires where the current power from the Analogue Controller comes into the Track will work as well with your Digital Setup.

As for converting Locomotives, they are all different. Some may need a complete rewire, some will take a Decoder Pugged in Directly inside on a Circuit Board. If you have any of this type remember that all the Dip Switches must be turned to Off! You may even have a DCC / MTS fitted Loco, these run just fine with LGB Analogue Controllers.

Perhaps some members of the Forum have some good conditioned LGB 55021 Chips available for you? Though I expect some will suggest other more expensive routes.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon. I am indeed getting a lot of advice and thank you for your contribution. I will finish off what I am doing and run trains because that is what it is all about. I will also refer to the many threads on this site associated with loco conversion and proceed to change over to DCC.
Trevor

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon and apologies. I think today has given me brain-overload. So, I have saved some money. I'll mull things over for a couple of days. Would the same decoder for the Harz apply to the Spreewald which has the silver 'D' sticker?
Trevor

If the Spreewald has the silver "D" sticker, then it already has a decoder installed.
If you can look underneath your Harz 2-6-2 and tell us exactly which stickers that one has, we can give more relevant advice....

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon. The Harz is 2004 and also has the silver 'D'. It looks as if I am saving money.
TrevorIMG_20190711_090945.jpg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I am late to the party!
i was going to ask your budget, but answers above, and now finding you are 'saving' ;) money, all helps.

Getting the control equipment will get you going. - You would appear to have two decoder-equipped loco's already.

Although your forum-name is 'Anglian', I see you give your location as Armagh? - Could anyone comment on suppliers / G-railers in the area?
Having a little local knowledge you can call-on is worth a lot of forum-posts.

If you wanted to run in 'both camps':
You could have a control panel and switches allowing analogue sections to be switched to a number of 'cabs' or a final 'all-linked' position for DCC running?

Sounds like you have 'the bug'? Resistance is futile! Go with it, and play trains. :):nod::nod:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon. The Harz is 2004 and also has the silver 'D'. It looks as if I am saving money.
TrevorView attachment 254356

Yes, your 2-6-2 is definitely factory-chipped like your Spreewald - great news for you, and more money saved! Your yellow KoF will be too, since that particular model with the flashing roof lamps was (AFAIK) only available in the MTS digital starter sets....
So, the only decoders you will need are a direct plug-in one for your orange Schoema, and whatever you need to put in the two Stainzes - I don't believe we know the particular vintage of your Stainzes yet, could you have a look at them and let us know if there are any stickers under them - particularly the little gold ones and any black or silver ones with a ring of dots on them....?

Jon.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jon. One is devoid of stickers but the other one appears to be 1988. There really is so much to enjoy about all this detective work. When the models themselves have a history, I think that it really adds to the railway under construction.
Trevor"?