G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Bit of progress on making a Garret (yes I finally made up my mind) the Newquida body has been hacked to pieces as have an aristocraft slope back tender and an LGB "Shorty" tender.
A new boiler bottom was fashioned out of a piece of 60mm PVC plumbing pipe.
Below are some pictures of the cut and shunt bits that are now ready for gap filling and sanding/filing.

Garret Boiler new lower section.JPGGarret front tank cut and shunt.JPGGarret front tank top view.JPGGarret Tender cut and shunt.JPGGarret components.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

simon@mgr

Aviation, model engineering & all things technical
25 Oct 2009
Gold Coast, QLD, The Land Downunder
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting use of tender for front tank, I like it.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good. I missed your front tank extension and bunker cut off in the first pic you posted.
I forgot to say earlier that I have 2 exact same LGB locomotives which I have stashed to also build a Garratt but with no other parts so it's been a good design exercise.
It will be interesting to see your final build. :)

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
When I sanded back the boiler bottom and started to blend it into the top I found that this was going to be a very long process, so instead of sitting for weeks filing a piece of PVC pipe to get it perfectly round again trying to get it look OK I have decided to put walkways along the join to hide the blending a bit.
The LGB "Shorty" has again given up some of its parts.

So far the body count for this build is;
2 Stainz
A Newquida loco
An Aristocraft "Rogers" slope back tender
An LGB "Shorty loco and tender.

Paradise, For scratchbuilt Garrets you might find some inspiration here

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
They are interesting although x-4-x x-4-x ones are difficult to set the weight from both the boiler and tank/bunker to give best traction results (in the real world). Ideally they all need to be centered between the drivers. Also the geometry of the boiler is better for stability around corners. The Darjeeling Garrat has it's pivots just inside the drivers making room for the short tank and bunker to be centered over the outside drivers. No overlaying cut-outs in the tank/bunker for the pivot points.

Darjeeling Garratt
darj009.jpg

K1 Garratt
K1_plan1.jpg

Last edited:

Rob

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Liverpool
www.flickr.com
Best answers
Country flag
You could also have the cylinders on the inside leaving room for the pilots where they were making the front and rear decks unnecessary. The first Garratt K1 was designed this way although it had no pilot wheels.
Most Garratts afterwards were not built like that though. I think the cylinders and motion directly below the cab access was a issue. Note where the cab steps are.

1920px-K1_works_photograph.jpg

K1 & 2 were the only two Garratts built with cylinders inboard. It was found that having the cylinders directly below the cab made it uncomfortably warm for the crew on the footplate.

A number of Garratts were built with side tanks for African countries so they could technically stay.

As already mentioned up thread, the pivots must be between the driving wheels, this is a common ‘mistake’ builders of Garratts in smaller scales make.

I’d recommend this website which has details and pictures of every Garratt type built.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
K1 & 2 were the only two Garratts built with cylinders inboard. It was found that having the cylinders directly below the cab made it uncomfortably warm for the crew on the footplate.

A number of Garratts were built with side tanks for African countries so they could technically stay.

As already mentioned up thread, the pivots must be between the driving wheels, this is a common ‘mistake’ builders of Garratts in smaller scales make.

I’d recommend this website which has details and pictures of every Garratt type built.
There's a photo of my part finished job on that website in the non commercial model Garretts section. It used two Bachmann BH chassis though, not LGB as stated.

Reactions: 1 user

AusrailQLD

Registered
10 Jul 2020
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mr Gap,
How is your garratt project was going?

I built one last year with two lgb 2075 chassis to loosely resemble 'William Francis'
20200712_073542.jpg
(Would have liked the ones with the valve gear, but none were selling cheap)

Reactions: 1 users

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The Garrett is sitting on a shelf along with an LGB Stainz conversion waiting for a "Roundtoit" to arrive.
The model builds are taking a back seat to the layout construction..

Blog has all the details and pictures

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mr Gap,

I built one last year with two lgb 2075 chassis to loosely resemble 'William Francis'
View attachment 269935

That looks good might have to pick your brains for some ideas on how you did it.

Hi Mr Gap,

View attachment 269935
Wow! looks amazing!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
East Coast have been offering Newquida bodies loaded onto sundry newquida wagons, probably as a result of returned bad ones? They look to be making good offers of sundry spares etc.

at £35 may be a good way to get the basic boiler if you wish to make a Garratt like this.