What happened at your workbench today?

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Just thought I'd go the extra mile in detailing the OZ's........

First form a grab handle from th 1mm copper wire supplied with the kit.
20200505_211610.jpg

Next clean up, apply flux and solder to hide join.

20200505_205910.jpg

Now repeat another 43 times !

20200505_212259.jpg

Mark up and drill 44 holes in total, 8 each side & 3 at each end, for both the 2 OZ'S.

20200505_233438.jpg

And I used to think you had to be a little nuts to build and spike your own track. I think I've just joined that club. One of the weird effects of lockdown.......better detailed rolling stock on my roster. Max.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
:eek: that's rubbish! ;)
Aren't they supposed to pivot on the fixings? :p:giggle:

But to be serious.. Nice bit of work, there.. :):clap::clap:

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
Mmmmmh,

77250-modelle-atw-751-06.05.2020-.jpg
have had an unpleasant visit. The test driver for the work tram came and reminded us to wear a face mask.

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
A long long time ago.....far away..in another galaxy....

OOps..sorry..wrong plot

Last year I bought an LGB 40830 bogie RhB tank wagon....cheap, because it had damaged and missing railings around the tank top..otherwise very nice.

I could look at getting a replacement railing moulding from our friend in Germany..and maybe will do so should I have enough for a larger order...

But thought I would have a go myself at recreating some semblance of railings.

It's not a faithful copy...as it's only got one lateral beam

materials:

glue...plasticweld seems to work well with LGB plastics, as well as....

Plastruct 90765 2mm x 2.5 mm

time....a couple of hours

paint, grey Humbrol Matt 79 seems to be very close

I'm thinking of reinforcing some/most of the joints with a melted in staple poked down a pilot hole.
I may make a test rig to try this first.

Malcolm

tank_rails_comp.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I bought an Accucraft Caledonia in the autumn: while beautiful -she is the fully lined Manx Northern version- she didn't run properly (think skin/rice pudding) and I contacted the seller, who agreed to have her looked at. But with lockdown getting in the way, I ordered a set of O-rings and when they arrived, well, I could always stop if things got too difficult, couldn't I?
Long story short, O-rings replaced, new paper gasket for the valve chest (which on inspection was also leaking profusely) followed by reassembly and a test run saw a substantial improvement -she happily pulled three bogie coaches and a couple of wagons on around 40 psi. More testing to come, but it looks like I have solved the problem (touch wood) for £3 and an hour's work; sorry, no photos, because it just happened, but I'm feeling quite pleased.
As I did the job I mused on how my great uncle might have seen similar work being done on the original loco when he worked for the railway company before the First World War; which gave me a 'hairs on the back of the neck' moment...

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I bought an Accucraft Caledonia in the autumn: while beautiful -she is the fully lined Manx Northern version- she didn't run properly (think skin/rice pudding) and I contacted the seller, who agreed to have her looked at. But with lockdown getting in the way, I ordered a set of O-rings and when they arrived, well, I could always stop if things got too difficult, couldn't I?
Long story short, O-rings replaced, new paper gasket for the valve chest (which on inspection was also leaking profusely) followed by reassembly and a test run saw a substantial improvement -she happily pulled three bogie coaches and a couple of wagons on around 40 psi. More testing to come, but it looks like I have solved the problem (touch wood) for £3 and an hour's work; sorry, no photos, because it just happened, but I'm feeling quite pleased.
As I did the job I mused on how my great uncle might have seen similar work being done on the original loco when he worked for the railway company before the First World War; which gave me a 'hairs on the back of the neck' moment...
Always satisfying to bring a recalcitrant steamer to life.

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Always satisfying to bring a recalcitrant steamer to life.
First time I've done it. There was a moment when I was surrounded by tiny bolts and heating a cross-head to soften threadlock when I thought 'what have I done?', but it was otherwise pretty straightforward. I knew the gasket paper I bought for the car a dozen years ago would come in handy one day!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
While I have been doing other things I have been doing a batch of Resin in my varying moulds, I created a new master the other day for Traffic Cone and Milk Churn. Plus my need for lots of Aluminum Ingots for wagon loads. Plus I have done a water filker to replicate a lost one in my Roundhouse Russell, now I have loads of them.
D51E4271-93FF-4E26-B902-DECCBC89F12D.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
All painted and ready for lettering and numbering - I'm going to use BECC vynils in a variety of sizes. Found a really nice rattle can flat aluminium - Halfords very high temperature paint., used on the OZ's.

20200513_175145.jpg

Next - 2 of these little beauties from Lineside Hut, Zillertalbahn C3's. As running at the W&L when normal service resumes. These are certainly going to test my abilities. Max

20200513_180050.jpg

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
A while ago now I designed myself a wooden compartment coach and found myself a local business that could laser cut it for me.

Over the last couple of days I've finally gotten around to making a start, staining the interior panels and building the compartments and benches.

20200513_184644.jpg

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
15893939771841411673188.jpg

This is my entire workbench.
That giraffe just had nowhere else in the house to go.

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I've just set my Year 9's the challenge of making one of these: DSCF5715.JPG
from nothing but recycled card and Pritt Stick. It isn't elegant, but at least it gets them marking, measuring and cutting -and away from a computer!

• Love

Jasper

11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Be sure to show us the results.

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
So here goes with the Zillertal's. Everything there, just need to get some 2mm brass rod for the exterior end supports for the roof, for some reason it's not included. There's 2 of them to build. Just doing a trial assembly to find out what goes where and where to stain or paint the wood. I'll do all that before assembly.

Had a look at a good few images of the real thing on the W&L to try to get the interior wood colours right and that distinctive red/brown body colour. I had some Phoenix BR bauxite and LNER teak lying around and mixed that in equal measures then dropped in a little of Humrol's red and maroon just to try and boost that reddish tint that seems to be in there. I might be gone for a while. Max

20200515_192144.jpg

P.S. Got round to refinishing the workbench surface - black ash, very 1980's. New A1 cutting mat on the way. Well I'm getting the house redecorated so it would be a pity if the "workshop" let it down

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Be sure to show us the results.
Will do! Teaching Design and Technology without a workshop has been...interesting. And because some of them use Macs I haven't been able to set any CAD work either. But cardboard modelling has introduced chain lines, fold lines and a slew of marking out techniques. I'm confident their sheet metalwork will be spot on when we all finally get back into a workshop. And their ability to work independently is growing, too.

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
First time I've done it. There was a moment when I was surrounded by tiny bolts and heating a cross-head to soften threadlock when I thought 'what have I done?', but it was otherwise pretty straightforward. I knew the gasket paper I bought for the car a dozen years ago would come in handy one day!
...and the retailer/reseller has credited my bank account with a sum of money to acknowledge time and materials. This was neither asked for nor expected. I know it has been said before, but there are some good people in this hobby.

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Netherlands, near Aachen ;-)
Best answers
Country flag
Roofs on and an all over shot of Halfords satin lacquer. Then the glazing and frames went in. Just the brass furniture and numbering/lettering to do. At last something prototypical for my NG/G 16 to haul. Max

View attachment 265337
So which wood do you recomment, ply or MDF with these Resurgam kits?

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
What with the weather being at tad iffy, along with long wait and delivery times obtaining supplies for the garden and the house, took the opportunity over last couple of days to give the Soldering Iron a good workout.

First up, trying a few ideas out for EPL control.

Gaugemaster Series E  16V AC Switch Motor.png

Relay Switch Motor.png

Deek Robot   Switch Motor.png

Massoth M decoder with SUSI to a Dietz X3 sound decoder
Massoth M Decoder SuSi Dietz X3.png

This and that, Stay aLive voltage buffers, voltage regulator boards, etc....

Busy Workbench.png

Busy scrapping and re purposing all the old, no longer used, or required Analogue circuits and components for reusing on the up and coming DCC Garden railway.

Last edited:

Jasper

11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Putting some decal lettering on a coach.
I am pleasantly surprised the decals work so well. After all, I bought them in 1991.
IMG_20200518_205926.jpg

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Having been very pleased with Thorley Miniatures engine shed and coaling stage, I’ve acquired their 16mm Signal Box kit. So today I started work (as it was raining outside). I’ve decided to fit an interior, so also began work on the internal flooring and false walls. This doesn’t come with the kit, so I raided my old plasticard store. Luckily I also found a Back2Bay6 (much missed) signal box detailing kit. The idea is to fit the box up with some solar powered lighting. Anyway, so far, so good.

View media item 4492
View media item 4493
View media item 4494
View media item 4495