What happened at your workbench today?

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
I run analogue because that is what I understand. I operate my turnouts manually because I didn't want unnecessary wires and switches out in the elements. That's my choice and it works for me, but there are some tremendous opportunities with some of the control systems that have been shown in these posts. :clap::clap::clap:
Same here.:hi:

And hey, it still makes the trains go, doesn't it? :nod:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not so much Workbench but work anyhow birds have been causing chaos at the timber works in their hunt for munchies in the rotting woodpile.
IMG_7883.jpeg
Those logs have probably been in place for some near 10 years. So today after having recently binned some likely cuttings was I looking for a likely candidate to supply new logs.
IMG_7885.jpeg
Sad to do it in or just comming to flower. But provided lots of 4” logs.
IMG_7884.jpeg
Finally put in place, need to smother in PVA but a bit cold just now. Hope the feathered blighters keep off!

IMG_7886.jpeg

djstewartt

Registered
19 Feb 2024
UK
Best answers
Country flag
R Work under way converting 4 Bachmann Thomas coaches into three bogie coaches. The brake coach with smooth non panelled areas is inspired by the Southerns many ( including Isle of Wight stock) conversions of pre grouped vehicles).
The four wheeled coach chassis are likely to be recycled into long wheel base bolster wagons.
View attachment 324576
Would love to see how these are progressing Flying15 Flying15

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Not so much Workbench but work anyhow birds have been causing chaos at the timber works in their hunt for munchies in the rotting woodpile.
View attachment 324975
Those logs have probably been in place for some near 10 years. So today after having recently binned some likely cuttings was I looking for a likely candidate to supply new logs.
View attachment 324973
Sad to do it in or just comming to flower. But provided lots of 4” logs.
View attachment 324974
Finally put in place, need to smother in PVA but a bit cold just now. Hope the feathered blighters keep off!

View attachment 324972
Dip 'em in creosote :nod::nod:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Did you treat the wood in any way?
Nah let em survive as long as they do, look more lifelike after a few years of mouldering away.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
If I could get some?
You can get a product from Wickes called creocote - does similar things and would slow down the rate of decay. After all, what you're wanting to do is to keep the bacteria at bay :nod::nod: No bacteria also means no bugs, no bugs means no birds. Win/win :cool:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
You can get a product from Wickes called creocote - does similar things and would slow down the rate of decay. After all, what you're wanting to do is to keep the bacteria at bay :nod::nod: No bacteria also means no bugs, no bugs means no birds. Win/win :cool:
But as its natural wood, does it matter too much? A clear up is a small task, compared to the chance of not seeing out feathered friends

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
But as its natural wood, does it matter too much? A clear up is a small task, compared to the chance of not seeing out feathered friends
Ah, I'm happy to see the birds (although we suffer from a plague of wood pigeons) but it's only a small pile - there's plenty in the rest of Jon's garden for the birds to have a go at ;);)

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Would love to see how these are progressing Flying15 Flying15
Progress has been slower than planned. Water tank in loft leaked and issue on my car☹️.
So haven’t done much. Seats and partitions are in; roofs made but await vents and rain strips.
Bogies are on the way as are buffers. Have been experimenting with painting, At present the brake car is brown one side,and SR green on the other. The windows on the primed (grey) coach are masked to protect the internals from the finish spray coat.
image.jpg

image.jpgUu

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Servo Controller board 'Old Skool IC' fully adjustable for Servo Movement.

Operated by either Detection or Activation, Mechanical or Electronic, and or DCC Function or Accessory Decoder.

Amplified Output to operate Multiple Servos and or Servo Switches, or combinations of.

Servo Switch activated directly from the Servo Controller, designed around yet another 'Old Skool IC', adjustable trigger for smooth operation of attached devices, for example a DPDT Relay with a Relay Driver, or either a High Power Output to drive high voltage or high amperage devices such as the TARR Smoker (MK3).

Further enhancements will be to replace the mechanical device as in the Relay with electronic Logic IC's.

At the present there is a 'glut' of 'Old Skool IC's' which can be often obtained for pennies.

The TARR Smoker (MK3) runs on Baby Oil available from most outlets, the picture shown of the smoke effect is from Fred & Flo Baby Oil 500Ml £2.50 from Tesco.

Additional supplements can be added, for example from the Mega Steam Smoke Oil range of products.

TARR Smoker (MK3) .jpg

Servo Switch On.jpg

Servo Switch Off.jpg

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
F37 progress, glazing.
20240321_115245.jpg