What happened at your workbench today?

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
With every metal incl lead and tin based, when you need to drill use oil.
only synthetic oils, from car engine oil to dedicated cutting oil.

oil has to my knowledge two functions: cooling and reduce friction.

Paraffin (kerosine) is recommended for aluminium, if you are not using a commercially produced cutting lubricant.

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
The solebars got completed, using a combination of extruded styrene angle, Cambrian rivets and the truss rods off the flat wagon that is being cannibalised for its bogies/trucks. A coat of primer was followed by two of satin black.
20240306_150049.jpg
Sometimes, I surprise myself: who'd have thought that I would have made a jig to bend the parts of the step hanger  and had the foresight to write the lengths of the brass strip on it?
20240306_145757.jpg
So eight of each were cut to length, bent and cleaned up. Then it was out with the gas torch and solder them up.
20240306_152039.jpg

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Paraffin (kerosine) is recommended for aluminium, if you are not using a commercially produced cutting lubricant.
Yes, it prevents the aluminium 'picking up' on the drill/tool. I've even used white spirit, but you need to clean and re-oil the lathe bed/milling m/c table afterwards...

Reactions: 1 user

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
who'd have thought that I would have made a jig to bend the parts
Always make a jig, and keep it...very handy if you want to make 2 or 3 more.
Or make 10 at one go, always make a jig, always.
From 2 and up

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
R Work under way converting 4 Bachmann Thomas coaches into three bogie coaches. The brake coach with smooth non panelled areas is inspired by the Southerns many ( including Isle of Wight stock) conversions of pre grouped vehicles).
The four wheeled coach chassis are likely to be recycled into long wheel base bolster wagons.
05D32D01-9C0D-4957-883D-F1EC7F009E6B.jpeg

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Couplings fitted and tested with other rolling stock
20240310_114203.jpg
20240310_115745.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Forgot to show this, was doing some work in LGB R3 points last week, soldering iron got a little too close but it is still usable.
IMG_7862.jpeg

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Forgot to show this, was doing some work in LGB R3 points last week, soldering iron got a little too close but it is still usable.
View attachment 324706
I think most of us that use a soldering iron have done similar, and somehow, never really learn when it comes to the "quick" soldering job.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I think most of us that use a soldering iron have done similar, and somehow, never really learn when it comes to the "quick" soldering job.
Risky thing, that "quick" soldering job.
Was not that quick a job wiring up LGb R3 points where the connecting bars had come loose, as these were stamped jobs soldering wire was the only option. 12 solder joints per point 2 points.

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
I have managed a couple of days on F37, hand brake and vac pipes fitted, couplings, stretchers and lots of bits of wire bent to make running board brackets.
20240313_092249.jpg
20240313_092147.jpg
20240313_121309.jpg
20240313_192918.jpg

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Never one to shirk a challenge...............request from a mate of mine, any chance of coming up with a solution for Automated Point Motor Control with either a Colour Light Signal or a Servo Operated Semaphore Signal, as below challenge completed! :cool:

EPL Servo Normal Route.jpg

EPL Servo Diverge Route.jpg

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
Strictly speaking not so much the workbench, but the dining room table, but you get the gist.

One of the ideas floating around is for some form of interaction for the great unwashed paying punters, never a good idea at the best of times!

Certainly not going to happen with the Layout Control via RocRail!!

Engaged the old grey matter and knocked up a stand alone JMRI, SPROG3, with a Wireless Access Point converted from an old redundant Router, that can be operated using the Engine Driver App from a Mobile Phone etc.., which will keep the great unwashed amused and well out of our way!

WAP Setup with SPROG3.jpg

WiThrottle Server.JPG

JMRI Screenshot.JPG

Engine Driver.jpg

Then all that is needed is some form of control and activity to keep them occupied!

Been exploring a few ideas that could be useful, no doubt subject to change, improvement, alteration, subject to the usual Terms & Conditions in the Small Print from the directive from "She Who Thinks She is in Charge" from the Council/Museum/Government etc..etc!

As they are footing the Bill, I just go along with the nonsense and gobbly gook!

Found this during a rummage at the local Toy & Train Fair for a £1.

Eventually it will be hooked up to a decoder, to enable to turn on and off.
JustPlus Light Hub.jpg

Now everyone likes colorful lights and if they can be made to Flash, always a winner, that for the punters!

Signal Decoder Green Route A.jpg

Signal Decoder Double Yellow Route B.jpg

Signal Decoder Rear View.jpg

Lastly but not least, movement with lights, (at some point Sound and Smoke will be available at no extra charge!)

Servo Switch Off.jpg
Servo Switch On.jpg

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Well, it was a bogie, now it's a pony truck ;)

Just gotta fabricate a drawbar, but that'll have to wait until SWMBO's out of the way on Toosday :emo::emo: 'cos I need to delve, and I have plans :lipssealed::lipssealed:

PXL_20240317_152259167.jpg

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Strictly speaking not so much the workbench, but the dining room table, but you get the gist.

One of the ideas floating around is for some form of interaction for the great unwashed paying punters, never a good idea at the best of times!

Certainly not going to happen with the Layout Control via RocRail!!

Engaged the old grey matter and knocked up a stand alone JMRI, SPROG3, with a Wireless Access Point converted from an old redundant Router, that can be operated using the Engine Driver App from a Mobile Phone etc.., which will keep the great unwashed amused and well out of our way!

View attachment 324893

View attachment 324894

View attachment 324895

View attachment 324896

Then all that is needed is some form of control and activity to keep them occupied!

Been exploring a few ideas that could be useful, no doubt subject to change, improvement, alteration, subject to the usual Terms & Conditions in the Small Print from the directive from "She Who Thinks She is in Charge" from the Council/Museum/Government etc..etc!

As they are footing the Bill, I just go along with nonsense and gobbly gook!

Found this during a rummage at the local Toy & Train Fair for a £1.

Eventually it will be hooked up to a decoder, to enable to turn on and off.
View attachment 324898

Now everyone likes colorful lights and if they can be made to Flash, always a winner, that for the punters!

View attachment 324899

View attachment 324900

View attachment 324901

Lastly but not least, movement with lights, (at some point Sound and Smoke will be available at no extra charge!)

View attachment 324903
View attachment 324904
Hey moderators, can we have a 'superb piece of work but it goes way over my head' emoji, please?
I'm no Luddite, but I'm in awe of your understanding of control, Shed. I wouldn't know where to start...

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
Hey moderators, can we have a 'superb piece of work but it goes way over my head' emoji, please?
I'm no Luddite, but I'm in awe of your understanding of control, Shed. I wouldn't know where to start...
Would this one suffice?

Mind Blown.JPG

brokenwing

Registered
21 Oct 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Would this one suffice?

View attachment 324926
I understood this posting from the shed ! Unlike Northsider I am a Luddite . The Shed’s postings may be over Northsider’s head but they are way over mine and probably higher than Mr Musks recent rocket.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I understood this posting from the shed ! Unlike Northsider I am a Luddite . The Shed’s postings may be over Northsider’s head but they are way over mine and probably higher than Mr Musks recent rocket.

I've made similar comments myself.

It's a bit like the old cider advert, 'tis too strong for me but I like the men that drink it.'

Fair play for those that know, and for those that seek Mr Shed's help and expertise.

I understand about 1% of it and while I sometimes look at the pictures, and puzzle, I'm usually still flummoxed.

However, if you were to have an electronic problem, you'd certainly know who to ask.

I run analogue because that is what I understand. I operate my turnouts manually because I didn't want unnecessary wires and switches out in the elements. That's my choice and it works for me, but there are some tremendous opportunities with some of the control systems that have been shown in these posts. :clap::clap::clap: