What happened at your workbench today?

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
What happened at my workbench?

I moved it outside for more working space and my fingertips fell off with frostbite :mask::mask:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Today's workbench is a couple of trestles in the conservatory. Painting two boards ready for the TCS exhibition that Brixham mentioned occurring in Leicester, Saturday 16th March. I believe the colour is Edenberry whatever that is, I just wanted a cheap green.

View attachment 324333

View attachment 324334

Paul
Lucky you are not south of Birmingham...

You might have ended up with Pink Green!

PhilP

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Next Month's project for discussion and evaluation of the various ideas for Point Motor Control, as per the pictures below:

Work in progress projects in the pipeline are,
a) Rudimentary colour light signals,
b) Activators and Detectors for Automation,
c) Servo Motor Control,
d) Animation, including smoke, movement, lights and sound,
e) by which time it will be Christmas! :)

Point Motor Control Green.jpg

Point Motor Control Red.jpg

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
What happened at my workbench?

I moved it outside for more working space and my fingertips fell off with frostbite :mask::mask:
I feel your pain :worried:
Well, I would if I could feel anything after the past couple of days :mask:

To be honest, the temp yoyo is climbing again :rock:

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Mine isn't a workbench per se more of a work in progress, but I will get there some day - I'm a lifelong optimist, one day I should get something finished / right.

Rlwy.JPG

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Obsessives Corner, Episode 247. Out with the 0.8mm drills bits, bearing in mind that they are basically a dressmaking pin with two helical grooves cut into them. Oh, and made from a hard (and therefore brittle) material. Despite putting the pillar drill on top speed and going carefully, I snapped two...
20240303_165633.jpg
Then the two bufferbeams (which had been 'sweated' together to halve the amount of drilling) we're separated, cleaned up and pins were soldered into the holes.
20240303_172324.jpg
Then the pins were snipped off with side cutters and the reverse side dressed on the linisher, before cleaning up with a brass brush and wire wool. I've still got safety chain eyes to fit, and a couple of 10BA truss rod ends.
20240303_175641.jpg
And of course all this will be visible from the other side of the garden...:shake::oops:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
But YOU will know they are there..
:nod::nod:

PhilP

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
At long last, I have finished the control panel for my grandson's birthday railway. It will not be a permanent installation, so the panel allows for the plugging in of many long cables, so it can all be removed and stored indoors, and has provision to store track wire holders, a plastic uncoupling knife, railer ramp and cleaning block. An old Playmobil controller and laptop power adapter are set on to the MDF base, the box etc being foamboard. There are four momentary switches for points, mimic lamps for the signals and to also to show whether power/points are set for the main or loop at the station, so he will be able to operate 2 trains alternately around the dogbone line, isolating either one at the station by setting the turnout. There are also switches for the station lighting, an isolated siding and a level crossing.

DGR_Controls.jpg

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Laid out the paraphernalia associated with the Mimic Panel Control, schematic and notes completed.

EPL Mimic Panel Green.jpg
EPL Mimic Panel Red.jpg

Revised and simpler control for Manual or Automatic operation of the Massoth EVO-S.

EVO-S Control Board.jpg

EVO-S Control Board Diverge Route.jpg
EVO-S Control Board Normal Route.jpg

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
At long last, I have finished the control panel for my grandson's birthday railway. It will not be a permanent installation, so the panel allows for the plugging in of many long cables, so it can all be removed and stored indoors, and has provision to store track wire holders, a plastic uncoupling knife, railer ramp and cleaning block. An old Playmobil controller and laptop power adapter are set on to the MDF base, the box etc being foamboard. There are four momentary switches for points, mimic lamps for the signals and to also to show whether power/points are set for the main or loop at the station, so he will be able to operate 2 trains alternately around the dogbone line, isolating either one at the station by setting the turnout. There are also switches for the station lighting, an isolated siding and a level crossing.

View attachment 324462
Nice work.

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Right, a bit more progress,
Roof fitted and in a new method, rather than use pin tape, a water based marker was used, what a revelation! a hour of stress done and dusted in 15 minutes with just a steel rule:)
This evening saw the decals put, so now ready for a coat of matt varnish.
20240302_191721.jpg
IMG-20240304-WA0001.jpeg
20240304_211305.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 324462
You must have put a lot of thought into that! Looks like an enjoyable project

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
Obsessives Corner, Episode 247. Out with the 0.8mm drills bits, bearing in mind that they are basically a dressmaking pin with two helical grooves cut into them. Oh, and made from a hard (and therefore brittle) material. Despite putting the pillar drill on top speed and going carefully, I snapped two...
Maybe cutting fluid might have helped. It helps a lot when drilling through stainless steel.

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe cutting fluid might have helped. It helps a lot when drilling through stainless steel.
Brass tends to be self-lubricating, though a splash of turpentine (or saliva!) can help. There's not much binding of swarf, and precious little heat. In all honesty I was probably just a bit heavy-handed.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
With every metal incl lead and tin based, when you need to drill use oil.
only synthetic oils, from car engine oil to dedicated cutting oil.

oil has to my knowledge two functions: cooling and reduce friction.