dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Primed, plus two (red) colour coats; then re-masked and applied two coats of off-white.
Yes that is likely where you went wrong. When you have done the re-masking another red coat should help seal things up. Then your two coats of off white, you can manage with the third red to concentate the spray around the masking tape to get that seal up. It took me ages to understand the process and I have to think hard about it every time I do it. This cruel closeup shows the modest amount of overspray encountered at an admitedly tricky location using the method I outline, posted many moons ago by a member of this very forum.
image.jpg

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
I have been considering revising my Eisfelder Talműhle station. It has always been a bit of a compromise but I have had a desire to make a representation of the real thing. Thus over the last few days I was have been busy cutting and glueing cardboard for a disposable prototype. I imagine what I have done will be some 30 or more % smaller but will fit in the limited space. More will appear in my build of the station thread at some stage if I intend to go forwards with this.
View attachment 324070
That's going to be big!!!
Just remembered seeing a model Eisfelder on the web, had a dig around and found these Jon, one is HO and the other G, but probably expensive, but as you want to build your own anyway, it doesn't matter, however you might find the photos of use, hope it helps :)

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Yes that is likely where you went wrong. When you have done the re-masking another red coat should help seal things up. Then your two coats of off white, you can manage with the third red to concentate the spray around the masking tape to get that seal up. It took me ages to understand the process and I have to think hard about it every time I do it. This cruel closeup shows the modest amount of overspray encountered at an admitedly tricky location using the method I outline, posted many moons ago by a member of this very forum.
View attachment 324071
So I should spray the cream area red first? Won't that mean that I need more coats of off-white to cover the red? Grey primer is already a bit of a compromise for a pale top coat...

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I didn't have a piece of brass the right size, but there was some steel that would do. I used the drill press to provide the 'oomph'.
20240224_132003.jpg
...which worked pretty well although yhe elastic limit of the brass strip causes it to 'spring' back, even when annealed. But a bit of tweaking gets it to where it should be:
20240224_132144.jpg
and importantly, gives some fairly uniform component parts for the conversion:
20240224_132152.jpg

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
One of the many items from last weeks rummange at a local Toy and Train Fair, a LDT Light Signal Decoder LS-DEC-DB-F 512012, for the princely sum of 50p.

First task was to setup the decoder, and from the instructions, no useful pointers or clues on how to configure it with a PIKO or Massoth Navigator, common sense and ingenuity were a requirement to configure it correctly, and whilst doing so, reconfigured the decoder outputs to operate BR 2 Aspect Colour Light Signals, another useful item now assigned to the OO Gauge Layout.

LTD Decoder for BR Signals.jpg

LDT Port 5.jpg

LDT Port 7.jpg

Returning back to the various challenges for operating the EVO-S point motor, the items previously ordered have now arrived, and good fortune willing and permission is granted for turning the Conservatory into a temporary workshop, work will begin on this sometime next week to provide solutions to the various challenges referred to in various Topics on this Forum.

EVO-S Equipment for setup and configuration.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
So I should spray the cream area red first? Won't that mean that I need more coats of off-white to cover the red? Grey primer is already a bit of a compromise for a pale top coat...
Well you can do it the other way round with the creme area first then the red which should cover better. That is how I did mine with the slight bleed over of red being seen on my Railcar. That 3rd coat as said helps to seal the masking tape.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
That's going to be big!!!
Just remembered seeing a model Eisfelder on the web, had a dig around and found these Jon, one is HO and the other G, but probably expensive, but as you want to build your own anyway, it doesn't matter, however you might find the photos of use, hope it helps :)
Thanks some of those pictures will be a big help, particularly with doors and windows. Not going to be that big as space is limited, the restraunt area at the front has thrown me a bit as I was of the opinion it was just an awning perhaps it may have been back in the 1980’s. Will look at some of my early pics to see if I can make out what it looked like in the past.

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks some of those pictures will be a big help, particularly with doors and windows. Not going to be that big as space is limited, the restraunt area at the front has thrown me a bit as I was of the opinion it was just an awning perhaps it may have been back in the 1980’s. Will look at some of my early pics to see if I can make out what it looked like in the past.
It was defiantly a awning when I went in 94/95, It is a restaurant on some later photos in the 2010's

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
It was defiantly a awning when I went in 94/95, It is a restaurant on some later photos in the 2010's
Thanks I have found a picture that I took under it as an awning, phew I should be able to get away with a shorter awning.

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
Another small project completed...........

PIKO Smartcontrol Light.jpg

Andreas

Registered
26 Jan 2021
79576 Weil am Rhein, Germany
Country
Germany
fam-weniger.jimdofree.com
Best answers
Country flag
My current project. A passenger train for my "West Clare Railway" I have ordered 4 kits of freelance coaches from IP Engineering and a guards coach. The first 2 coaches are almost finished. Assembly is straightforward but quite fiddly. The lighting is provided by a customised light chain with battery box. I painted the individual LEDs orange. The seats of these 2 carriages are covered with fabric, so they will be 1st and 2nd class carriages. The others will be 3rd class. Now the roofs and the lettering are still missing.
How would you do it? Matt the windows with varnish so that you can't see much inside, or buy good figures and use them to decorate the carriages.
Good figures are really expensive...

Attachments

• seite unten.jpg
    seite unten.jpg
    773.8 KB · Views: 1
  • unten.jpg
    unten.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 1
  • Lichterkette detail.jpg
    Lichterkette detail.jpg
    786.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Lichterkette.jpg
    Lichterkette.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 1
  • innen.jpg
    innen.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 1
  • Gesamt.jpg
    Gesamt.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Beide Gesamt.jpg
    Beide Gesamt.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 0
  • licht.jpg
    licht.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Another small project completed...........

View attachment 324213
Ah, I was thinking about you and your crane - I hate to bring bad news, but March RM has an article on someone's scratchbuilt, working, 2mm:1ft dockside crane. The finished item is quite stunning, almost unbelievable for that small scale - the guy must be certifiable :worried::worried:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Lightly matt the windows and get cheap figures?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Or, like me, you could run a ghost train.

dig 180315012.JPG

David

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Right, F37 update, a trundle by hand at the weekend to check it goes around the corners,
20240224_133106.jpg
Then entered the paintshop, red sprayed, and cream now being brushed on.
20240228_110341.jpg
20240228_110327.jpg

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
DCC Training equipment constructed for the forthcoming DCC Workshop Weekend.

DCC Training Equipment.jpg
SPROG3 and decoder tester board.jpg
SPROG3 Hornby.JPG

SPROG3 Hornby R8249.JPG

Massoth PC Module and Massoth Service Tool press ganged into service.
Massoth PC Module and decoder tester board.jpg
Hornby R8249 and MST.jpg

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Workbench of the day is the dining table (with permission), snagging the electrics for grandson's railway. I have 5 weeks left before his birthday and the project is still on schedule. Just two components left to diagnose and fix today. It hasn't helped that the most recent batch of cable I've used for a lot of the lamps wiring turned out to be terrible quality - very brittle, so I've had to deal with several duff connections.
dgr_panel_snagging.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Workbench of the day is the dining table (with permission), snagging the electrics for grandson's railway. I have 5 weeks left before his birthday and the project is still on schedule. Just two components left to diagnose and fix today. It hasn't helped that the most recent batch of cable I've used for a lot of the lamps wiring turned out to be terrible quality - very brittle, so I've had to deal with several duff connections.
View attachment 324329
Yeah, I once bought some cheap bell wire - it snapped every time you tried to strip the end :confused::confused:

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Today's workbench is a couple of trestles in the conservatory. Painting two boards ready for the TCS exhibition that Brixham mentioned occurring in Leicester, Saturday 16th March. I believe the colour is Edenberry whatever that is, I just wanted a cheap green.

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

Paul