What happened at your workbench today?

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Started servicing steam engines
Sent for and received Strikalite battery packs for 2 as they’d given up, waiting in the shed for meIMG_1742.jpeg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Started servicing steam engines
Sent for and received Strikalite battery packs for 2 as they’d given up, waiting in the shed for meView attachment 325397
I found all of my battery packs in my RH locs had given up the ghost due to lack of use and charging regime. Converted them all to run on 9v cheepo batteries from my local poundstrecher, doubt you will have one of them nearby!

owlpool

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I found all of my battery packs in my RH locs had given up the ghost due to lack of use and charging regime. Converted them all to run on 9v cheepo batteries from my local poundstrecher, doubt you will have one of them nearby!
That was the problem with mine. Some run on replaceables but I like the convenience and it cost only £42 for 2 Strikalite packs and charging adapters

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
This is my latest creation. I still have to add sound and some greenery to the trees.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Not quite the workbench, but the railway itself. As mentioned in the coffee lounge, I have had a couple of derailments on mu curved gradient. A little (and I mean little) superelevation, hardly noticeable and the two main culprits tested and all is well. Just need some warm weather for the rest of the re-blasting

IMG_2047.jpeg

Test crew going open air for a full-on feel of the track ;)

IMG_2048.jpeg

IMG_2049.jpeg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Not quite the workbench, but the railway itself. As mentioned in the coffee lounge, I have had a couple of derailments on mu curved gradient. A little (and I mean little) superelevation, hardly noticeable and the two main culprits tested and all is well. Just need some warm weather for the rest of the re-blasting

View attachment 325549

Test crew going open air for a full-on feel of the track ;)

View attachment 325550

View attachment 325551
Oh, we like superelevation :nerd::nerd:

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Last external details done, lighting switch and associated cables and rivets.
20240331_143138.jpg
Followed by splashing of black paint.

Reactions: 1 user

owlpool

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Got my battery powered Stainz running again. Must be about 10+ years ago had 12 AAs pack from Strikalite and RC from Ge_rik in the tender. Needed some new connectors and one bit of soldering, a new bracket for the switch panel and general fettling. Now runs fine after about 5 years non operationalIMG_1805.jpegIMG_1804.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Got my battery powered Stainz running again. Must be about 10+ years ago had 12 AAs pack from Strikalite and RC from Ge_rik in the tender. Needed some new connectors and one bit of soldering, a new bracket for the switch panel and general fettling. Now runs fine after about 5 years non operationalView attachment 325567View attachment 325568
Yep, if you leave the batteries charged, it's surprising how long they'll last ;)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I did charge them periodically - unlike the ones in the steamers which had died
I had a 12v pack of sub-Cs in a loco which went away fully charged, but did not get used again for four or five years. It still ran, and I replaced the batteries a couple of years ago, so they ran for another four or five years after I resurrected it :eek::eek:

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Mocking up a tramcar in cardboard, to see whether I like the proportions.

20240402_162745.jpg

20240402_162755.jpg

20240402_162811.jpg

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Completed several of the questions and requests from the recent indoor meet.

One of the assembled individuals purchased a number of Relay Modules, and was somewhat flummoxed on how to operate them, two options provided, both designed around 'Old Skool' IC's.

Two  IC SR Latch Off.jpg

Two  IC SR Latch On.jpg

Single IC SR Latch Off.jpg

Single IC SR Latch On.jpg

Another request, put together another two PWM to Linear converters, temporary assembled one to send down, to enable the recipient to copy for their own use.

PWM to LIN Speed Controller.jpg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I thought they where up to date and modern!
Only if they are tiny, surface-mount, and won't do anything unless you spend three-weeks trying to program them! :wondering:
:nerd:

PhilP

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Work proceeding on the first of a pair of loco coaling stages, fabricated out of 3.0mm plasticard. The rear and left hand walls are double thickness glued together, the front and right hand walls are single thickness, but doubled up where the corners meet. The decking and steps are single thickness. The steel strip reinforcement are 2.0mm wide strips of 0.5mm plasticard. The bolt heads are the usual 1.0mm self adhesive pearl jewels. As with most of my scratch builds, I start with an idea and design it as I go along. This time, I got it wrong, the rear/side walls were too high, it didn't look right, I had to saw 15.0mm off the height and remodel the tops of the walls, at least I should have the dimensions right for when I start the second model.

dig 240405001.jpg

David