What happened at your workbench today?

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
The sound modules arrived yesterday for my three animations. I managed to get the rocket launcher and the tree feller installed. I'm not completely satisfied with the tree feller sound effect as far as coordination is concerned. I may be looking into other options. Perhaps one of those tiny gadgets that can record sound may work. Any thoughts ?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The sound modules arrived yesterday for my three animations. I managed to get the rocket launcher and the tree feller installed. I'm not completely satisfied with the tree feller sound effect as far as coordination is concerned. I may be looking into other options. Perhaps one of those tiny gadgets that can record sound may work. Any thoughts ?

Was expecting it to blow up like many of the recent Musk efforts. Bet it lands tail first like his do so you got that right! Lovely job.

Degauss

Registered
9 Jun 2017
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not completely satisfied with the tree feller sound effect as far as coordination is concerned.
MP3 Player Playback Module DY-SV8F/DY-SV5W UART I/O Trigger Amplifier Board

Triggered sound mp3. A switch clicked by turntable and what ever sound you recorded will play. Always synced to motion.
Contains an amplifier so just add power and speaker.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
MP3 Player Playback Module DY-SV8F/DY-SV5W UART I/O Trigger Amplifier Board

Triggered sound mp3. A switch clicked by turntable and what ever sound you recorded will play. Always synced to motion.
Contains an amplifier so just add power and speaker.

Thank you. When I looked up the player on Ebay, they are asking me to select a specific model.

DY-SV8F
DY-SV5W
DY-SV17F
DY-HV8F
DY-HV20T

Being the dummy I am, how would I know which model to choose ?

Degauss

Registered
9 Jun 2017
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
.... which model to choose ?
For the simple repeat sound then its the DY-SV17F. You wouldn't need the memory of using a SD card. I'll look up my wiring and show how I did it.
If you want an easier option (pre wired) then
8M Sound Recorder Module Voice MP3 Music Player With Loudspeaker Button Control | eBay (US $5.51 from china you add 3 to 5v power)
or
Amazon.com ($12.99 includes lipo battery).

Hope this helps.

P.S.
"Being the dummy I am.." you have a working layout, so you can't be a dummy.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not so much workbench as workmate. Have been building a few things first has been legs for my Gauge 3 line, the ply came out of a skip and has been cut to 2 inch strips by a pub buddy. The 4 legs created will sit in L format with strips to join them for the layout to sit on. I did this system for my 0 gauge exhibition layout years back and it worked very well, though then it was all 1.5” timber with just legs and angles to keep the legs upright. Both systems quite lightweight but remarkably strong and easy to transport. Plus 2 of my new ones have cross pieces at height for Chopsaw amd Workmate to help with long lengths of wood.
IMG_7907.jpeg
Temp lash-up to show how straights will be made up, layout 16ft long and to pieces will be held in place with bolts and wing-nuts overlapping at joint of top pieces.
IMG_7908.jpegIMG_7909.jpeg
Here I am chopping a long length of wood on Workmate with L supporting extra length to make this:-
IMG_7910.jpeg
Still a work in progress but the length being cut will be a hinged joining piece for my take on one of these:-
IMG_4786.png

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
For the simple repeat sound then its the DY-SV17F. You wouldn't need the memory of using a SD card. I'll look up my wiring and show how I did it.
If you want an easier option (pre wired) then
8M Sound Recorder Module Voice MP3 Music Player With Loudspeaker Button Control | eBay (US $5.51 from china you add 3 to 5v power)
or
Amazon.com ($12.99 includes lipo battery).

Hope this helps.

P.S.
"Being the dummy I am.." you have a working layout, so you can't be a dummy.

Let me put it another way, I am an electronic dummy. Regular electrics I get. Electronics is too abstract. And thank you for that link. It will make my life working with electrons so much simpler. :)

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I've added sound to the two man saw animation.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
No pictures, but I started to repaint my figures before replacing them in the garden. They last 2-3 years between paintings usually, which goes to show how good acrylic paint is

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
No pictures, but I started to repaint my figures before replacing them in the garden. They last 2-3 years between paintings usually, which goes to show how good acrylic paint is
I had to repaint my man in Hi-Viz orange every year....

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
A UV resistant coating may help, but red is a fugitive colour, and hi-viz of all hues, is problematic.

PhilP

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Well you need to keep up with the new shade of orange, the HSE change the hue every year. They need to justify their jobs, you know!

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Those that read the coffee lounge will know I sold my camera (due to lack of use), however I do find that my phone, although has a good camera, the flash is poor, and it takes good photos in natural light, but close ups e.g. models tend to get bathed in shadow, so I invested in a couple of photo lights. Under £30.00 from the well know online retailer, with next day (sometimes) delivery.
So this is a part of my workbench ;)

IMG_2076.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
So along side my Boot Lane Nancy, I decided to build a Loco Remote Amberley Brush. The instructions are brilliant, followed step by step with photos provided for every step, it was pointless me taking any photos at all:

View attachment 323272

View attachment 323273

View attachment 323274
This loco has now been sprayed and satin varnish applied, still awaiting decals.

As the battery needs to be removed to be charged, using a dedicated charger, I have not put a battery on the base of the loco.

IMG_2077.jpeg

IMG_2078.jpeg

IMG_2079.jpeg

IMG_2080.jpeg

IMG_2081.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
The EVO-X has landed..............
Massoth EVO-X.jpg

Operation via the Massoth Train Detection Modules, to trigger a Timed Relay Module to move the point blades.

Train Detection Module 1.jpg

Train Detection Module 1 EVO-X activated.jpg

Train Detection Module 2.jpg

Train Detection Module 2 EVO-X activated.jpg

Anyways playtime over, back to the OO gauge, 8 pin decoder sockets and blanking plugs to make...................

8 pin decoder socket and blanking plug 1.jpg

8 pin decoder socket and blanking plug.jpg

Last edited:

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Continuing with the EVO-X, short video of it in action.
Whilst it is not universally known that the Massoth Train Detection Module can be configured to operate a Relay of various denominations, even lesser known, is that the outputs can be reconfigured to operate 5V TTL devices.

Train Detection Module to 5V TTL Logic Latch Green LED.jpg
Train Detection Module to 5V TTL Logic Latch Red LED.jpg

An idea using the Massoth 8FS Sevo Decoder, a little longer video of it in action, probably change over to using the 10FX Servo decoder, a Firmware update is imminent to enhance the existing operational capabilities.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Somebody decided it was time 'Dad' had a break..
IMG_20240411_180411.jpg
:h:

PhilP