Weathering a loco with Matt varnish

Zman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
On a hillside in Morley, overlooking Leeds!
Best answers
pugwash said:
It's a really strange sensation having all the hairs on your arm stuck together!

Obviously spray up, down and side-to-side to get an even coating and not just from one level. :clap:
8| Best way if you want to cover all your arm! :happy:

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Richie said:
Zman said:
The title of this thread struck me a something to be found on one of the documentary channels,

"Hi, I'm Matt Varnish, and this week I'll be ....." :happy:

Sounds like the Fast Show

This week i'll be mostly getting dirty :happy:

This week I'll be mostly be wearing matt :D .....sorry Matt

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Zman said:
pugwash said:
It's a really strange sensation having all the hairs on your arm stuck together!

Obviously spray up, down and side-to-side to get an even coating and not just from one level. :clap:
8| Best way if you want to cover all your arm! :happy:

Then go the whole hog and spray yer armpits for a laugh :rofl: until you realise you can't pick up your beer glass :impatient:

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
ROSS said:
Richie said:
Well i took my Bachmann Porter apart today and weathered it not gone to bad wasn't as easy as the log wagons just need to fix the powders with help from Matt Varnish but need the wind to drop so i can spray . Will post some pics soon .

Like to see those Rich.. I have two LGB Porter 0-4-0's to do.
Some nice pics of "bashed" Porters on the 7/8th scale forum.

Hi Ross
Just sprayed loco with a little help from Matt Varnish . Got loco back togeather and doesn't look to bad i'm happy with the result just need to add a little bit of rust onto the loco's wheels . On the windows i cut the tape so that it left the rims of the glass and frame to get weathered . Put real coal in the bunker and floor round fire box . Driver just needs a little weathering now .

Heres a few pics for you
5b047194dedd45c597ea93b9514493fc.jpg

39de8e2e2a8344edbf42e2a2aa0c9371.jpg

1d8f2ab2e72d4a94af548d3a9c535ff3.jpg

23547d9677204eae84e5a717da440409.jpg

d880fac2dcfb43a9af82d61e326f1bd9.jpg

a90198d1655b4b6cb11ef5ef16c9fc7c.jpg

8d72785a26d14693a57b36b208d25bfa.jpg

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Absolutely ace :clap:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Looks really good - like the cab "scene" very much also.

Mick

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Richie said:
Driver just needs a little weathering now .
Just give him a few bucks to go out on the town on a friday night, that should do the trick (bleary eyed, unshaven, thick'ead). :bleh:
And before Zmate pokes his oar in, yes, and not just fridays :rofl:

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
A lovely spot of weathering, I do like em dirty! I've got a load of weathering to do if your not too busy Richie!

steam locos look so muh better when they look like they earn their keep.

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
Nice, mind you despite what I said earlier about overdoing it, this is what happens at Barry when you leave em outside in da salt air.

ls6-800.jpg

rs5-800.jpg

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Is there no chemical reaction between saline solution in suspension and brass?
Or do you have loads of Brasso? :rofl:
Here we go, open the floodgates to all the 'brassed off' jokes :D

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
WELL DONE MATE...i like it.....loves it and u will get the hang of it from weathering!!!.....loves tht good idea for the inside cab with real coal....kool........

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Woderwick said:
Nice, mind you despite what I said earlier about overdoing it, this is what happens at Barry when you leave em outside in da salt air.

ls6-800.jpg

rs5-800.jpg

Very prurty, very prurty. Nicely done again Rod

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Richie said:
Just sprayed loco with a little help from Matt Varnish . Got loco back togeather and doesn't look to bad i'm happy with the result just need to add a little bit of rust onto the loco's wheels . On the windows i cut the tape so that it left the rims of the glass and frame to get weathered . Put real coal in the bunker and floor round fire box . Driver just needs a little weathering now .

Good job Richie. Got the appearance that she has been about a bit hasn't she? Looks a wee bit saddle sore..........saddle loco.... gedit......oh well please yourself
:D

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Matt Varnish would just like to thank all you chaps for all the kind words and comments :clap:

Look out for his new show coming soon Weathering a flat car :happy:

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Woderwick said:

ls6-800.jpg

rs5-800.jpg
Hi Rod
What a wonderful job looks fantastic was this done with powders ?? How did you weather your wheels and valve gear as i taped mine up to stop the varnish getting to the electrics ??

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Dave Hub said:
A lovely spot of weathering, I do like em dirty! I've got a load of weathering to do if your not too busy Richie!

steam locos look so muh better when they look like they earn their keep.

Cheers Dave , Sorry just a bit busy have a 1001 jobs to do none of which are train related :crying:

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Woderwick said:
Thanks Mike, but puggy is right again
Hey? What? Pleeeeeeeaaaase send that in writing to my wife, pretty please? :D

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
Hi Rod
What a wonderful job looks fantastic was this done with powders ?? How did you weather your wheels and valve gear as i taped mine up to stop the varnish getting to the electrics ??

I only masked off the wheel tyres, the rest?

Paint and powders sir. First he paint was diluted to a thin wash and applied with successive application to give the appearance of a build up of textured grime. One single application does not seem to convey the same effect. The eye is a wonderful thing and can detect even the smallest nuances in colour and texture so I try and do a little at a time. It is always a hard call to say when to stop.

I often let the wash run down the side of the loco. You can see this to good effect under the blower pipe here. Note the bent and grubby lamp with shiny handle from use. The crew has hung it in a convenient place for ease of use. Not sure what the story with the hammer is though. Something is missing from the smoke box at the front. I wonder what it was and where it went.

rs3-800.jpg

The top view shows some of the powder application. The smoke box and door has burned because someone did not secure the door properly, maybe a piece of crud got wedged in the bottom when it was last cleaned. As a result of the paint going west, some corrosion is starting to make itself evident.

Particles of ash litter the pilot and step from careless cleaning. Clutter litters the top of the tanks, at least the fire irons have been stored in the correct place. Again the handle on the tank hatches has a slight shine from use, where as the two lamps in contrast to the one at the front clearly have not be touched for ages, as witnessed by the dull handles.

top2-800.jpg

The loco is usually left outside with the back parked towards the prevailing (salty) wind and so is filthy at the rear. You can see that the late afternoon sun exacerbates the redness of the washes. Just in front of the cab window the tank filler overflow has got in to the weld seam and window frames. The chain on the back has been hanging there for ages and has started to wear and stain the paint. Again, the grab rails and cut bar handles are shiny from use in contrast to the surrounding neglect. The herald and number have been wiped down with an oil rag however and that's about it. If you look close you can actually see a circular smear around the number.

Twas fun