Weathering a loco with Matt varnish

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Have just started weathering some of my stock with powders and using a matt varnish to fix it . I'm just about to start weathering a Bachmann Porter loco but wasn't to sure how to spray the matt varnish on the loco with it's glazed windows, metal wheels, brass bell etc do these need to be taped off first or do you just spray the whole loco ?????

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
hi richie..just covered up with masking tapes loosely..spray it on the loco body if i were u...when it done...take the masking tapes off....tht wot i do with my kits modelmaking....
( glazed windows, metal wheels, brass bell etc ) TAPE OVER.....ok..

the window is covered with masking tapes...just put it on and cut around the edges or get pieces of scappy papers ,,,measure it and see if fit it..then use the masking tapes on flat clean surface and marked out,cut it and put in on the window..up to u richies...will send u a picture ok....
i never used varished on my locos..mmmmmmm.....coz it acryilla paint..yr is weatherin powder,,so supagav are the expert.......drop him a line....ok?..he will tell u everything...he is so good

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Rather obviously if using matt varnish things like brass bells lose their shine. Glazing tends to look dusty (however sometimes this is a good effect) and wheels need masking to avoid problems with power pickup on locos, no such problem for rolling stock.
:clap:

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Thanks for the replys guys will tape over windows, bell and wheels :clap:

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
u r welcome mate...let me and pugwash know..thks....hope u will sort out..cheers.......

p.s.good luck,,,

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Richie said:

Richie - just to throw a dirty great spanner in the works - if the crew let their loco become dirty and uncleaned, would one of them climb up just to polish the bell and whistle? I would have thought that a bit of slightly less shiney brass etc. would match the rest of a dirty loco?

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Who's Matt Varnish? (An alias for a cirtain member of the forum who is rather good at it I suppose :) )

Come on Matt a series of programs is needed.... "Weathering a ..... with Matt Varnish"

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
Puggy has a point and that is the route I took when I did my K27, which was gently weathered with paint, powders and matt varnish. Here you can see a few pics. The trick is not to over do it and work from pictures and not let your imagination run riot.

These first shots give an over all picture of the level of weathering.

fin640-9.jpg

fin640-3.jpg

Here is a close up of the cab. You can see where the matt varnish has been applied over the glazing and then removed using meths and a cotton bud. It gives the appearance of a well used loco, but some attention has been paid to the important bits, like needing to see where you are going. But only where necessary. The bell might well be cleaned but dirt will accumilate on the top were it hangs from its cradle.
fin640-11.jpg

Lastly my Connie. Same stuff, a bit less weathering.

almcon6404.jpg

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Your weather looks brilliant Rod - I haven't the courage to tackle any of mine even after buying some risting powder and been given an air brush as a present. Other trouble is getting matt varnish - not found it here and nobody will send it airmail!

Mick

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
yb281 said:
Richie said:

Richie - just to throw a dirty great spanner in the works - if the crew let their loco become dirty and uncleaned, would one of them climb up just to polish the bell and whistle? I would have thought that a bit of slightly less shiney brass etc. would match the rest of a dirty loco?

I think you could be right there Mel :thinking:

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:

Fair point, but if you want a few clean bits it could happen.
Steam raising takes a fair while and it's not unknown for the fireman to have a bit of time on his hands whilst the driver checks/oils round. Not enough time to clean the whole loco, but enough to do the odd bit. I recall from my train spotting youth generally filthy locos with at least the number still visible due to the local application of a cleaning rag.

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Great weathering on your Connie and K-27 Rod with just that hint of rust:clap: My trouble is that i may get carried away with the rust what with it being an old logging loco will apply black first and add the rust last will let you know how i get on . Here's a pic of a skeleton log car i done last week .
d0b082cf478f4cf6816aaaf09270d4c8.jpg

017ccf9463294f0eaf9a18fed070df13.jpg

By Matt Varnish :happy:

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
I use Humbrol matt varnish in the tins. For airbrush thinned with genuine artists' turpentine. Dont use turps substitue, it's rubbish. Also they need stiring well. I put my tinlet in the vice of my pedestal drill and a piece of wire in the chuck with the end bent into G shape.

Place whirling thing in tin and let it run for 5 -10 minutes (on a low speed, or you will be wearing it ). It seems excessive but those tins contain a lot of thick goop in the bottom and if you dont make sure the thing is stirred to exhuastion then it will wreck your lovely model with a patchy finish that will not dry in places for months. Personally I never got any decent results hand stiring.

Best

Rod

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
trammayo said:
Your weather looks brilliant Rod - I haven't the courage to tackle any of mine even after buying some risting powder and been given an air brush as a present. Other trouble is getting matt varnish - not found it here and nobody will send it airmail!

Mick
hi mate..so u mean u want matt varish??...so u can get a bottles if u want/...mine does on my vingl figure kit..coz i prefer brushing it .....if peoples use spray tht fine..mine use in bottle to brush it on....

i dont use on my locos really coz it have acryilla paints...if i use powder i have to use matt satin varish.........wink.......

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Woderwick said:
These first shots give an over all picture of the level of weathering.

fin640-9.jpg

fin640-3.jpg

Very very nice Rod. Lovely effect, well executed.
Subtle to harsh-subtle is definitely the way to go for a loco that worked the main line or well used narrow gauge, like the K27. For an old logging loco that had seen better days and was just eking out its existence there is room for a more 'obvious' degrading of its appearance. Rolling stock was often appallingly looked after on these lines and could really look the pits ( or beautiful to those mechanical archeologists amongst us! 8|).
But sometimes, just sometimes it is just wonderful to go all out and create an 'imaginary' amount of decrepitude!:D Only, just make sure it is a cheapo loco......

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Well i took my Bachmann Porter apart today and weathered it not gone to bad wasn't as easy as the log wagons just need to fix the powders with help from Matt Varnish but need the wind to drop so i can spray . Will post some pics soon .

Zman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
On a hillside in Morley, overlooking Leeds!
Best answers
The title of this thread struck me a something to be found on one of the documentary channels,

"Hi, I'm Matt Varnish, and this week I'll be ....." :happy:

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Zman said:
The title of this thread struck me a something to be found on one of the documentary channels,

"Hi, I'm Matt Varnish, and this week I'll be ....." :happy:

Sounds like the Fast Show

This week i'll be mostly getting dirty :happy:

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Richie said:
need the wind to drop so i can spray

Ah, another good point: if spraying outside be careful which way the wind is blowing, I plonk the model on a piece of card so I can turn it rather than walk round the model and spray into the wind. It's a really strange sensation having all the hairs on your arm stuck together! Obviously spray up, down and side-to-side to get an even coating and not just from one level.
:clap: