Union Pacific coach interior

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Yes totally agree,I too am at a point that if I buy anymore SWMBO may decide she no longer loves me but I must confess there are a few bits and bobs I would still like..eg a K27:inlove::inlove:

“Have I seen that before?”
“What, this old thing? I picked it up for a song ages ago, just not had it out lately...”
(This conversation may take place between old married couples, started by whichever first spots a) new dress, or b) new G scale item, or indeed almost anything else, on either side...)

Reactions: 1 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
“What, this old thing? I picked it up for a song ages ago, just not had it out lately...”
(This conversation may take place between old married couples, started by whichever first spots a) new dress, or b) new G scale item, or indeed almost anything else, on either side...)
Great, you've let the cat out of the bag! If she reads this I'm in bother!

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
I use a different method,,,,,,,,after checking sites/shops for anything that takes my eye,I then go home and say such and such has lets say a Connie for sale,SWMBO then normally asks if I`m going to get it,after some thought on my part the retort is "probably,not sure yet" 9times out of 10 it ends up on the railroad rosta,trick is not to buy everything;););),,,,,,if she sees this I may just have to change my ways:lipssealed:but on the other hand she ordered a new soft top for her jeep a couple of weeks ago,half the price of my LGB Alco and did i mind?,,,works both ways:cool: and yes I had to fit it!!

Last edited:

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Whilst looking through my photos for something else, I found this one of a slightly more restrained interior of one of the Maine narrow gauge coaches in the museum at Portland, ME.

9-951.jpg

Not sure of the original line that this one came from.

Reactions: 1 users

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Good luck with your bash,passenger cars look sooooo much better with a detailed interior especially when lit,just finishes them off. I have done a few and maybe able to give a few suggestions,Aristo cars are the easiest as have done 4,a Piko caboose and more than a couple of Bachmanns.The later are the hardest to do as very very little room between the car side and the stock interior molding if you wish to panel the sides and if you can remove the glazing without breaking.I will post a pic of the Piko drovers caboose of an example but cant find any of previous builds,if I can find will post later,as for upholstery,repaint yes,coloured paper or coloured felt work well but be careful of the glue as can seep through and ruin the material,got those from Hobbycraft.Styrene square rod makes simple arm
Most helpful. Always good to learn from other people’s experiences. I started to fit out the interior of a Bachmann caboose kit but haven’t got round to finishing it yet. Adding things like missing glazing and upgrading plastic details to whitemetal (S&D Models) makes a great difference.
A few pics of a couple of car bashes,I posted during their construction but alas the pics were lost so taken a few more.First my private car,ex D&RG observation,SEIRRA 023.jpg track powered with LGB marker lights added with full interior,1,showing the kitchen staff hard at SEIRRA 022.jpg work,oven and pans in the background,pic 2 the bathroom,bath and wc showing the brass fittingsSEIRRA 021.jpg and towel rail;pic 3 second view of kitchen,tap sink plates and SEIRRA 007.jpg utensils,pics 4 and 5,the saloon,table set for dinner including candle sticks and cutlery,floor carpeted,custom easy chairs,pictures on wall and SEIRRA 006.jpg clock/ornaments.The car has curtains and blinds throughout.SEIRRA 024.jpg PIC 6 is the bedroom.pillows,bed covers and furniture,SEIRRA 025.jpg the bed,table and chairs and dinner service are dolls house items.The second car is bashed Sierra car using Bachmann seats,it was a starter set car with an empty interior now re glazed,paneled interior sides together with custom stove,felt upholstered seats,blinds and LED strip lights with paneled roof inside.The combine has the same build to match,one of 4 cars the observation car also has track power marker lights and the conductor`s watch chain is 9ct gold,I hope some food for thought at least;);)SEIRRA 014.jpg SEIRRA 026.jpg SEIRRA 012.jpg SEIRRA 013.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Be prepared fo have a few of your ideas borrowed...

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Whilst looking through my photos for something else, I found this one of a slightly more restrained interior of one of the Maine narrow gauge coaches in the museum at Portland, ME.

View attachment 236921

Not sure of the original line that this one came from.
Looks like an early Metropolitan Railway carriage!

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Be prepared fo have a few of your ideas borrowed...
Your welcome,keep us posted on how you get on,just one thing I forgot to mention,to fit the larger figures in Bachmann seat units,I cut just under the knee and take a little of the calf out and reposition the lower legs at an angle and after a touch of filler and a file not noticeable once the car is done,it allows their b*ms on the seat and feet on the floor in the small space,,,good luck with your bashes;);) Rio

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Eaglecliff, one of the wheezes I used to simulate the wood panel interior of the three Swift16 two-truck passenger coaches I built ws to use good old-fashioned brown wrapping paper.

a. It is already the right shade, and

b. It has a 'built-in wood grain, too.

Stick it on with a very thin wash of PVA and when it's dry you can clear varnish it.

tac
OVGRS
Hi Tac,
Following your suggestion I have “wallpapered” the inner sides of one of the coaches. I just stuck a plain strip over the whole inside wall and varnished it. Now it’s well and truly dry I have scalpelbladed the window holes out and am temporarily refitting the glazing. It seems a bit reluctant to return to its precise, tight, location, which contains various slotted bits, bumps and electrical strips. As things stand the glazing will need a fair number of grips to hold it flat against the lower side when I come to glue it. It occurs to me that the addition of the admittedly thin paper may nevertheless be hampering the previous tight fit of the glazing; did you have a similar problem, and for example sand or file a small amount of glazing from the top of the piece, or from around the raised “windows”, or am I just hamfisted as usual? I think we are talking about different manufacturers but I guess the principles are not too dissimilar.

Reactions: 1 user