Union Pacific coach interior

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Having just acquired, and begun to clean, a couple of Bachmann (Big Haulers - early?) coaches which look as though they have been mouldering away in a shed since Adam was a lad, I would like to upgrade their bare plastic interiors to a modest degree, if only by painting the floor and seats in different colours - currently a semi-shiny chocolate brown.Trawling the net (including various US railroad museum sites) has produced nothing of assistance. Grey-brown or black floor, mahogany seat timbers, dark red unholstery?
Unless advised otherwise, I also intend to matt-finish the roof. I might even stick on a layer of extremely thin handkerchief fabric. (“Yes, I know they have been washed so many times you can read the paper through them, dear, but I’m sure they’ll come in useful someday.”) Gunmetal/metallic black/rusty black chimney top rather than plastic black?
Interestingly, the outer face of the continuous moulding immediately below the windows has been painted by what appears to be an amateur hand. Is this likely to be the previous owner, or “as sold”?
The moulded representation of the lavatory window detail is just texture added to the otherwise clear sheet. Should this appear white? Should the framing round the individual “panes” be picked out?
And since I’ve taken the glazing out, any idea what the inner sides of the coach ought to be like? Presumably painted or varnished wood? The sides themselves are fairly translucent, so I think some sort of treatment is called for - but not wood veneer. (Why not? I hear you cry.)
Another point of interest - the lighting is battery powered, permitting plastic wheels for economy, but also removing the not inconsiderable drag caused by pick-ups on the wheels.
I’ll leave for another day the problem of two coaches with the same running number...
I look forward with interest to hearing from someone rather better acquainted with the subject than myself.

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
These are a few shots I took of the interior of a similar vintage clerestory coach on the East Broad Top line in Pennsylvania back in 2010.
Depends how far you want to get carried away with your work, if you look how the ceiling is painted!

10-1499.JPG

10-1500.JPG

10-1502.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
That’s brilliant. Thank you very much, although it means I now have to look at my two EBT coaches as well... not sure about the coachpainter’s lines, though...although I think I’ve got some of that stick-on stuff somewhere... I knew it would come in useful someday...

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
They look a bit posh! You don't see that sort of thing in the modern trains.
How about printing the design on suitable paper and sticking it inside the coach. You can make as many as you need.

Reactions: 1 user

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
They look a bit posh! You don't see that sort of thing in the modern trains.
How about printing the design on suitable paper and sticking it inside the coach. You can make as many as you need.
Good idea, will think about that. Don’t have an A3 copier/printer anymore but it shouldn’t be impossible. Separate halves, registration marks...
Modern trains? My Gran was a french polisher working for the Midland Railway, ooh, 112 years ago... they don’t make ‘em like that any more...coaches or grans...

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Eaglecliff, one of the wheezes I used to simulate the wood panel interior of the three Swift16 two-truck passenger coaches I built ws to use good old-fashioned brown wrapping paper.

a. It is already the right shade, and

b. It has a 'built-in wood grain, too.

Stick it on with a very thin wash of PVA and when it's dry you can clear varnish it.

tac
OVGRS

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
This is an exterior shot of the coach in question....................

10-1492.JPG

It wasn't one that the EBT bought new, but actually came secondhand from the Boston, Revere Beach and Lynn in Massachusetts when that line shut down in 1940. Presumably it was used as an electric unit trailer car during its latter life there (they converted most of the 1870's built steam hauled stock to overhead electric operation in the late 1920's).

I had got one other photo of the interior, which shows the paintwork around the light fittings in the ceiling...

10-1503.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Eaglecliff, one of the wheezes I used to simulate the wood panel interior of the three Swift16 two-truck passenger coaches I built ws to use good old-fashioned brown wrapping paper.

a. It is already the right shade, and

b. It has a 'built-in wood grain, too.

Stick it on with a very thin wash of PVA and when it's dry you can clear varnish it.

tac
OVGRS
That’s very helpful - never thought of it. Will give it a go.

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
This is an exterior shot of the coach in question....................

View attachment 236808

It wasn't one that the EBT bought new, but actually came secondhand from the Boston, Revere Beach and Lynn in Massachusetts when that line shut down in 1940. Presumably it was used as an electric unit trailer car during its latter life there (they converted most of the 1870's built steam hauled stock to overhead electric operation in the late 1920's).

I had got one other photo of the interior, which shows the paintwork around the light fittings in the ceiling...

View attachment 236809
Interesting possibility, not sure my skills and eyesight are quite up to it!

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Good luck with your bash,passenger cars look sooooo much better with a detailed interior especially when lit,just finishes them off. I have done a few and maybe able to give a few suggestions,Aristo cars are the easiest as have done 4,a Piko caboose and more than a couple of Bachmanns.The later are the hardest to do as very very little room between the car side and the stock interior molding if you wish to panel the sides and if you can remove the glazing without breaking.I will post a pic of the Piko drovers caboose of an example but cant find any of previous builds,if I can find will post later,as for upholstery,repaint yes,coloured paper or coloured felt work well but be careful of the glue as can seep through and ruin the material,got those from Hobbycraft.Styrene square rod makes simple armrests(can cover with matching material),one other thing is that 1;22 figures,Piko LGB ETC dont like Bachmann seats as they are too close together and a little low,so some mods to the legs or the seats will be required depending on the figures,I cut the seats from the floor and re positioned on a dummy floor,or make new custom seats?the horrible gap between the car body roof and the roof itself can be filled with styrene `L` shape which i found fits almost exactly so the whole roof can be painted out to match and the roof can still be removed(sorry cant remember the size but was the biggest the model store kept)possibly 10mm but easily measured;)The toilet window can be picked out with brass paint and a sheet of thin plasticard will suffice to whiten the window inside.My choice of lighting is if its track power i normally keep if it works ok and if battery power(Bachmann cars) I change to battery strip LED with flat round style battery which all fits snugly in the roof,hope this is of some use and is food for thought at least;);););)as some of the cheaper square batteries DON`T FIT IN THE BATTERY BOX UNDER THE CAR!!!!!!!,,,,,from experience:mad:and Big Hauler tenders!INTERIOR 008.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Good luck with your bash,passenger cars look sooooo much better with a detailed interior especially when lit,just finishes them off. I have done a few and maybe able to give a few suggestions,Aristo cars are the easiest as have done 4,a Piko caboose and more than a couple of Bachmanns.The later are the hardest to do as very very little room between the car side and the stock interior molding if you wish to panel the sides and if you can remove the glazing without breaking.I will post a pic of the Piko drovers caboose of an example but cant find any of previous builds,if I can find will post later,as for upholstery,repaint yes,coloured paper or coloured felt work well but be careful of the glue as can seep through and ruin the material,got those from Hobbycraft.Styrene square rod makes simple armrests(can cover with matching material),one other thing is that 1;22 figures,Piko LGB ETC dont like Bachmann seats as they are too close together and a little low,so some mods to the legs or the seats will be required depending on the figures,I cut the seats from the floor and re positioned on a dummy floor,or make new custom seats?the horrible gap between the car body roof and the roof itself can be filled with styrene `L` shape which i found fits almost exactly so the whole roof can be painted out to match and the roof can still be removed(sorry cant remember the size but was the biggest the model store kept)possibly 10mm but easily measured;)The toilet window can be picked out with brass paint and a sheet of thin plasticard will suffice to whiten the window inside.My choice of lighting is if its track power i normally keep if it works ok and if battery power(Bachmann cars) I change to battery strip LED with flat round style battery which all fits snugly in the roof,hope this is of some use and is food for thought at least;);););)as some of the cheaper square batteries DON`T FIT IN THE BATTERY BOX UNDER THE CAR!!!!!!!,,,,,from experience:mad:and Big Hauler tenders!View attachment 236822
Most helpful. Always good to learn from other people’s experiences. I started to fit out the interior of a Bachmann caboose kit but haven’t got round to finishing it yet. Adding things like missing glazing and upgrading plastic details to whitemetal (S&D Models) makes a great difference.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Most helpful. Always good to learn from other people’s experiences. I started to fit out the interior of a Bachmann caboose kit but haven’t got round to finishing it yet. Adding things like missing glazing and upgrading plastic details to whitemetal (S&D Models) makes a great difference.
After seeing the S&D info yesterday, been to the site and bought both Caboose and Coach detailing items!

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Oh, and I did give the ticket collector a chain beteen his watch and vest pocket!

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
After seeing the S&D info yesterday, been to the site and bought both Caboose and Coach detailing items!
“If I can help somebody...” as the old song had it... just check you’ve got the correct size rungs - they do a range, no problem getting them changed.

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
May just order the caboose kit,a bobber that needs a complete rebuild in my roster,serious consideration.

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
May just order the caboose kit,a bobber that needs a complete rebuild in my roster,serious consideration.
Alas, I fear, from a conversation I had with them, that Bachmann have withdrawn, and will not reintroduce, their range of coach, car and caboose kits. Given the prices now being demanded for their current range of the decorated versions, I can see their G scale ranges being totally discontinued. There may be a few well-heeled collectors about who are willing and able to pay these prices, but even they will eventually have had their fill, and there will be no entry-level enthusiasts ready to replace them; it seems to me like commercial suicide.

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Alas, I fear, from a conversation I had with them, that Bachmann have withdrawn, and will not reintroduce, their range of coach, car and caboose kits. Given the prices now being demanded for their current range of the decorated versions, I can see their G scale ranges being totally discontinued. There may be a few well-heeled collectors about who are willing and able to pay these prices, but even they will eventually have had their fill, and there will be no entry-level enthusiasts ready to replace them; it seems to me like commercial suicide.
Yes the G kits from Bachmann are long gone,they were great for us freelancers,some confusion here ,I meant the D&S upgrade caboose kit and yes Bachmann seem to be withdrawing G,the way its going TTT range will be the only thing left and I won`t touch those:banghead::banghead:There is a post on here regarding the 2018 Bachmann catalouge,very sad reading indeed:swear::tmi:

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Indeed. I hadn’t grasped the S&D point until after I had posted my reply, bur re-read yours and mine, and decided that mine wasn’t totally off the topic since we are dealing with a model which was available as both kit and built. Fortunately I now have as much rolling stock as I can cope with so the future of Bachmann is less of an immediate concern, and the second-hand market will no doubt remain active for a good while yet, until a perceived “rarity” (rather than “real,” or possibly realistic), value takes over.

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes totally agree,I too am at a point that if I buy anymore SWMBO may decide she no longer loves me but I must confess there are a few bits and bobs I would still like..eg a K27:inlove::inlove: