Understanding 3D printing

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well this is something that I profess to have very little knowledge of, but I’ve stumbled across this website which my be of interest as there are lots of 3D model files there.

type tram in the search engine to load them all. If they are of no use then ok, but I thought they might be of use to someone.

Cheers

Martin

Reactions: 1 user

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Way above my brain power.....:rofl:.....Not knowing too much about 3D printing, if it diid not involve the use of programming, I might give it a try.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
And mine!

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
D D D

If I send this to my HP Printer, is that 3D printing ;)

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
Well this is something that I profess to have very little knowledge of, but I’ve stumbled across this website which my be of interest as there are lots of 3D model files there.

type tram in the search engine to load them all. If they are of no use then ok, but I thought they might be of use to someone.

Cheers

Martin

Draw your own Martin, its a piece of...er...well its easy.

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Really? That easy?

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
D D D

If I send this to my HP Printer, is that 3D printing ;)
Only if you print it several times, to increase the thickness of ink/toner..
:nerd:

PhilP

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, initially it’s a very steep learning curve but very satisfying when you actually achieve something. There are a few facets to 3D printing, there is just the straight forward ‘download a file and print it’ this is no more difficult that from say a web site given that you have to put the file through a ‘slicer’ program, which basically ‘slices the object into printable layers’ ok there are a few variables that you can change to improve the item and you can re size the object, but this is something you learn as you go along. I suppose one of the basic requirements, for the printer, to ensure good prints, is to get it set up properly in the first place, this ensures a good print almost every time.
when you get more confident, there are CAD programs that allow you to create your own designs. I use ‘Tinkercad’ a free download, there are 6 extremely good tutorials on YouTube, takes over 3 hours to run through then and you probably need to watch them 2 or 3 times , depending on your memory skills . Then of course, there is 3D scanning, yet another avenue of getting files to print, this can lead on to ’Meshing’ where there are programs that you put your files into to smooth out any mistakes in the scans, ‘Meshmixer ‘ seems to be popular App.
I feel the results are very rewarding, I have made lots of things for my railway and also printed things for the home, I even designed and printed an insert for the fuel cap , for my grandsons motorbike, which, I have to say, worked perfectly. I feel you have to ‘have a need ‘ for a 3D printer, you have to be able to make use of its versatility.
I will always be grateful to the help and advice from a member of this forum, who was kind enough to ‘ steer me ‘ in the right direction before I bought my printer………..another bonus of the forum.
Dave

Reactions: 1 users

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
Really? That easy?

Well, maybe that was a bit throwaway. I use TinkerCAD and its definately a learn as you go program. I can only echo what Tankerman said.

In my experience, the most exercising part of 3D printing is thinking how you break up any given project into printable parts.
I recently printed a cement mixer and broke it up like this:

Mixer220623.JPG

DSCF0223crop.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
i think , Tanker Dave got it.

in short, 3D printing is not much different from normal printing. main difference, instead of ink you use either spools of something, that looks like thick fishing line , or liquid resin.
you got a "document" in your pc, press some buttons about preferences and let the mashine do the rest.

the hard part is, what to print.
there are thousands of design files on the internet, for sale or for free. but normally you woun't find "just the thing", you need or want.
you would have to design a "printing plan" yourself. or beg a friend to do it, or buy, if avayable.

it is interesting, but time consuming.

go for it - have fun!

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
So from what I have read here, 3D printing is not just a matter of buying a printer and flipping a switch. There seems to be programming involved. Then to complicate matters, there is learning things like CAD and how to use it.

I can't even get a WIFI extender working or a little device that allows me to hear the TV through my hearing aides. The terminology in the instruction booklets might as well be Greek.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
So from what I have read here, 3D printing is not just a matter of buying a printer and flipping a switch. There seems to be programming involved. Then to complicate matters, there is learning things like CAD and how to use it.
yes. but why scare away the newcomers? (and programming these mashines was no option, when i bought mine in 2015)

I can't even get a WIFI extender working or a little device that allows me to hear the TV through my hearing aides.
seek help from any 12 year old!
my hearing aids are worse! they filter away any sentence, that starts with: "Darling do..."

3d07.JPG

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ok, so I’m looking at the ‘Old Time Tram’ model, based on Memphis Main Street trolley…

quite a bit of gobbledegook to me anyway, and that’s the bits I don’t understand…triangles, quads, polygons, textures, materials, scale transformations etc etc etc!
as for the number of different files involved! Are they related to the type of printing machine you use. Can the whole thing be produced in any scale? So many questions…and that’s what I don‘t understand.
This is a model that would fit in well with Bachmann trams.
Sorry to sound like a complete thickie, I’d rather pay someone to produce the model for me…as long as it wasn’t latest LGB prices…

Cheers
Martin

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
…as long as it wasn’t latest LGB prices…

well, two things are sure: prices won't come down, and given the time and effort for designing prints for special orders, you'll have to pay more than mere cents too.

...and that’s the bits I don’t understand…triangles, quads, polygons, textures, materials, scale transformations etc etc etc!
neither do i!

designing your own toys is an additional hobby in its own right!
the actual printing is the easy part.

you could enter this hobby with a cheat, like i did.

go to "thingiverse.com" (spend hours and days hooked) look for things, that you like, could need, might need, maybe could use, etc. load them down, (less you want to spend even more days to find them again) look for free ".stl" files. there are other types too, like ".obj" (that i never mastered)
get the free version of "netfabb", use that to open your downloaded files and play around with the buttons, till you understand, what you are doing.
find out, how to "cut" parts away, "add" other parts.
send the results to your printer. (where you see your thingy on screen again.) scale it for desired size - and so, that it enters your buildingplate of the printer.

PRINT! - and start laughing at the first results...

about size... it matters!
you must make up your mind what kind of things you want to print.
for figures in one of the G-scales 100x100mm / 4"x4" printerbed would be big enough.
for locos or cars (trams) 200x200mm/8"x8" is still too small. (the bigger the printbed, the more the printer hurts the purse)

or you cut the bigger pieces up into parts, that fit the bed. (see pics below)

3d08.JPG

3d09.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
My No2 Child has a printer, and has printed some useful stuff. I'm just waiting for her to get bored with it both getting my mitts on it

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
My No2 Child has a printer, and has printed some useful stuff. I'm just waiting for her to get bored with it both getting my mitts on it
in our family i am the child, the others are waiting for to outgrow his toys...

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
3d printing is fun and addictive. I started about 9 years ago, now have 5 of them - 3 in regular use, plus a laser cutter, card / vinyl cutter and cnc engraver.

Designing stuff needn't be too hard. 3D builder is a good starting point, then transition to Tinkercad and then fuller featured design programmes. I also use my phone to scan things and then reproduce them. Do a search of my threads and you'll see the diverse range of things I've produced.

I've printed a lot of bits for other people on this forum, and I'm more than happy to continue to do so. I can print in filament and resin, cut up to 6mm plywood, and machine thin non ferrous metals such as brass and aluminium.

Just think of it as another skill to learn. Unless you spend quite a bit of money, it's more plug and pray than plug and play, but there's plenty of resources available. If anyone wants any tips, feel free to message me, or visit me in Lincolnshire. Equally, I'm happy to trade skills, so if anyone can assist me with painting and detailing, I'm sure an agreement could be reached!

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
well, two things are sure: prices won't come down, and given the time and effort for designing prints for special orders, you'll have to pay more than mere cents too.

neither do i!

designing your own toys is an additional hobby in its own right!
the actual printing is the easy part.

you could enter this hobby with a cheat, like i did.

go to "thingiverse.com" (spend hours and days hooked) look for things, that you like, could need, might need, maybe could use, etc. load them down, (less you want to spend even more days to find them again) look for free ".stl" files. there are other types too, like ".obj" (that i never mastered)
get the free version of "netfabb", use that to open your downloaded files and play around with the buttons, till you understand, what you are doing.
find out, how to "cut" parts away, "add" other parts.
send the results to your printer. (where you see your thingy on screen again.) scale it for desired size - and so, that it enters your buildingplate of the printer.

PRINT! - and start laughing at the first results...

about size... it matters!
you must make up your mind what kind of things you want to print.
for figures in one of the G-scales 100x100mm / 4"x4" printerbed would be big enough.
for locos or cars (trams) 200x200mm/8"x8" is still too small. (the bigger the printbed, the more the printer hurts the purse)

or you cut the bigger pieces up into parts, that fit the bed. (see pics below)

View attachment 318634

View attachment 318635
Thank you Korm, very easy to understand. Time for a play around…

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Still a bit confused despite all the superb comments and advice…
so, as a total beginner, which is the most recommended printer to buy, what printing materials is best, cost effective and produces a relatively smooth model, not one that looks like it’s made from corrugated plastic? Nozzle sizes? Temperatures?
I think I have to weigh up the viability of buying a machine, which I might not use that often, to the cost of someone producing a ready made printed model from a downloadable file.
3 minutes of fame, what do you reckon to printing a tram that I can fit a motor block to, and it’s cost? This is what I have to work out before any moves are made…
Cheers
Martin