Tumble Down Falls

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
An initial start has been made of the extension, a concrete pad where the point is going and the point fitted. This allowed me to make some minor adjustments to the gradient in that area, it is amazing what difference a few millimetres height over a foot length (I know i am mixing my units :)) can make. Smoothed out the area and a much smoother run.

The concrete pad, before the concrete had fully set, I had time to ensure this was laterally level, and about 1:40 gradient

Extension-Pad.jpg

The point fitted and tested, and the forward route planned (the thermalite block isn't fixed, just a temporary home :))

Extension-Point.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
An initial start has been made of the extension, a concrete pad where the point is going and the point fitted. This allowed me to make some minor adjustments to the gradient in that area, it is amazing what difference a few millimetres height over a foot length (I know i am mixing my units :)) can make. Smoothed out the area and a much smoother run.

The concrete pad, before the concrete had fully set, I had time to ensure this was laterally level, and about 1:40 gradient

View attachment 275126

The point fitted and tested, and the forward route planned (the thermalite block isn't fixed, just a temporary home :))

View attachment 275127
And yet another Garden Railway land grab commences, good luck with the work Jimmy. Sure it will all go to plan.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Hah! No plan survives the first contact with reality!
But I also wish JimmyB well.
Chris, other than spurring off the phase one line the plan is fluid, so failures will be few and far between.

Last edited:

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
One of the stipulations for the railway from the domestic authority was the railway had to have a water feature, so a little nice weather and some finishing touches with a trainin the background.

IMG_1067.JPEG

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
That bug-mauler looks impossibly clean :lipssealed::lipssealed:

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
A while since I post here, over the weekend I have been "concreting" the floor of the shed area, thought the best thing to use was real concrete, will be interesting to see how it fairs.

IMG_1079.JPEG

Reactions: 1 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
A while since I post here, over the weekend I have been "concreting" the floor of the shed area, thought the best thing to use was real concrete, will be interesting to see how it fairs.

View attachment 284598
Looks great. It may be worth keeping a small implement close by, for scooping out grit from the sunken rails. I know this from experience!

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Looks great. It may be worth keeping a small implement close by, for scooping out grit from the sunken rails. I know this from experience!
Indeed so, a few bits of wire a shovel and model fork looking looking like shed loose tools left around will supply something suitable.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
What an attractive railway, Jim. The stream is looking good and I do like the way you've bedded the tracks in ....

Rik

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
After further discussions with the domestic authority, agreement on the initial route and and sighting of the phase 2 "The Extension has been approved, and as s start, we have a Stainz and crane "making a break for it:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
After further discussions with the domestic authority, agreement on the initial route and and sighting of the phase 2 "The Extension has been approved, and as s start, we have a Stainz and crane "making a break for it:

Yup the lang grab progresses, will it ever end?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
You build a big bridge or a long tunnel?

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Work has moved forward on Phase 2:

Paving is being used to support the rails, and this is where the Phase two extension starts:

The first "sod" is removed to make a start:

As this has to meet paving at the "other" end, I need to ensure I keep my levels, or at least do not have excessive gradient, this is less than 1:50 (2% (I think)):

Slabs down an a train to ensure it all runs smooth:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
If you have an iPhone there is a great app to measure gradients.,Carpenter. If not iPhone is there an alternative for other Smart Phones?