23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Well the line has been re-instated ready for the Grandkids:

P

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I have dreams of a flowing water feature, but it would spend half the year as an ice block :oops:.
Global warming is coming sooner rather than later - even to the "Great White North". Might as well get ready early!;)

JimmyB

JimmyB

Phase 1 complete, roll on Phase 2
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Not sure how much Fleece and Liner you have, you could have used surplus of that rather than a Water Tank May have given the space. Certainly would hold some more water.

JimmyB

JimmyB

Phase 1 complete, roll on Phase 2
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
The water feature is in and working, though some finishing touches are needed. The important thing for me is lessons learnt:
  1. I didn't fully appreciate water dynamics, and tried to imitate nature to much, the water course bed was to deep, and unless you have a really powerful flow from your pump water movement is quite slow, so shallower and a reasonable gradient to provide flow.
  2. I cut the excess liner at what I considered the right distance from the water level, the water wicks up the liner and leaks out, so the liner edge is not distance but height from the water's edge.
  3. Positive point, I did find reviewing YouTube videos landscaping expanding polyurethane foam that is good for ponds, and safe for fish (not that I have fish) and it seems to work.
View from the reservoir

Under the bridge - must determine what i want for a bridge

The pool at the top.

P

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
It all flows downhill from here! ;) Well done Jimmy!

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
The water feature is in and working, though some finishing touches are needed. The important thing for me is lessons learnt:
  1. I didn't fully appreciate water dynamics, and tried to imitate nature to much, the water course bed was to deep, and unless you have a really powerful flow from your pump water movement is quite slow, so shallower and a reasonable gradient to provide flow.
  2. I cut the excess liner at what I considered the right distance from the water level, the water wicks up the liner and leaks out, so the liner edge is not distance but height from the water's edge.
  3. Positive point, I did find reviewing YouTube videos landscaping expanding polyurethane foam that is good for ponds, and safe for fish (not that I have fish) and it seems to work.
Noting those issues Jimmy.
1 Flow can be created by making a few Blockers that allow Water to flow faster between them. Much like Rapids do on the real thing. A couple of slightly deeper slower flowing areas followed by a short sharpe drop will create some drama small stones cemented in and G4 over the cement will help. Looks shiny at first but dulls down over a season.
2 Water will always find the way. Always best to cut the excess liner once you have proven the flow including those Blockers for Rapids and other scenic bits.
3 interesting about the foam, stored in the Brain Box for future use.
Still certainly looks the Wild West Water Flow.

AlanL

AlanL

Registered
1 Mar 2016
Northampton
Excellent water feature Jimmy, the railway is looking great.

When I built my stream I built the sides using 6 inch tiles on edge. but the steam was too shallow and like yourself, discovered the magic of water disappearing up the sides of the liner. Fortunately because the tiles are not permanent, unlike cement, I was able to raise the edging tiles enough to prevent the water loss. On my stream I think it needs the edge to be about 20 mm above the water to stop the losses. Rainfall often triggers the pathway for water loss.

It adds an extra interest for your railway, and an excuse for a couple of bridges which themselves add extra to the railway.

Enjoying seeing your progress on the Tumble Down Falls Railway.

Alan