Tumble Down Falls

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
After a year I have come up with a name for my railway, as you will see from the title Tumble Down Falls. I plan to put some of my earlier photos of the railway here, and add as the railway progresses. Apologies to those that have seen the photos before, but this should keep thing together.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
So to this weekend and the R1 points and reverse "S" bend - the LGB items were fine with this setup, the Playmodile was okay most of the time, but my Bachmann Mogul and the caboose would not manage the the reverse "S" bend

Before the work, a bend at each end of my passing loop.
View media item 3816
End of the first day, new second-hand R3 (LGB) points in place
View media item 3815
End of the second day points in place, all wired up, ballasted and all rolling stock tested (minor hiccup with the Bachmann, but that's the vagaries of using second-hand stock
View media item 3818

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sure that the domestic authorities plus yourself and the kids are all impressed with the positive change to your Garden Jimmy. Just shows what a bit of determination and single minded efforts can achieve in a relatively short time.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
One of the things that I like to see is the track plan of a railway, helps better understand how the various bits fit together, so here is mine, ignore the part numbers this give (an almost) scale drawing.

View media item 3823

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Nice bit of work there JimmyB. It's great to see a line come together after seeing the initial enquiries posted here. I can see the influences from some members of this site. Like the creative use of a folded figure of 8 configuration. Loving the rocks and the lighthouse. Just needs a year or two for the plants to start filling it all in. Max

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Jimmy, is there a reason that all your pix have a link to 'view media item', as I can't see them due to not having permissions.

I tend to post pix into my thread without linkys....

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy, I have been "playing" with the media and seem to have "fowled it up" hopefully it will work now.
Got it now mate!

Excellent work....

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I especially approve of the track-plan title..
'Phase 1..' ;):giggle::giggle:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Well we all know that all our lines are just trials for the big one!
But a very good start there Jimmy, lots of interest and plenty of movement possible, it'll be good to sit with a cool beverage in the summer just watching the trains go round:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
I have approval for the extension "next year", providing the landscaping and "falls" are complete, this is hoped to run 40 ft up and around the garden :)

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have approval for the extension "next year", providing the landscaping and "falls" are complete, this is hoped to run 40 ft up and around the garden :)
Aha he is going to get wet soon!

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good Jimmy,coming on well:clap::clap:,I see you have some trouble with your caboose not running properly on your reverse S,I had the same problem when I first got mine,(Bachmann bobber)the wheels were rising over the railhead and derailing,(it has metal wheels)I think it was the wheelbase and lack of play in the axle boxes.I added some weight and it seemed to address the problem,just a suggestion and may be worth a try but you may have tried that already? The car now not used and was cut up to make my long caboose but ran ok until its demise. Rio

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good Jimmy,coming on well:clap::clap:,I see you have some trouble with your caboose not running properly on your reverse S,I had the same problem when I first got mine,(Bachmann bobber)the wheels were rising over the railhead and derailing,(it has metal wheels)I think it was the wheelbase and lack of play in the axle boxes.I added some weight and it seemed to address the problem,just a suggestion and may be worth a try but you may have tried that already? The car now not used and was cut up to make my long caboose but ran ok until its demise. Rio
Strange I now have 3 Scratch Built Bodied Wagons all using the Bachmann Bobber Caboose Chassis, all are fitted with Bachmann Metal Wheels genuine LGB Couplings and run just tickety boo.