Trying to locate GP38 G Scale usa trains shelll

Glenn

Registered
12 May 2018
california
Best answers
Unfortunately my USAT GP38-2 took a plunge off my ceiling train platform and destroyed the cab and shell. Does anyone know anyone who has a extra shell of any color or scheme laying around that would be willing to part with it. I emailed USAT and they told me they dont have any (makes no sense to me since they are the mfg) any help appreciated. Really dont want to se this engine go to wast juistbecause USAT won sell me a shell.

Thanks

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Unfortunately my USAT GP38-2 took a plunge off my ceiling train platform and destroyed the cab and shell. Does anyone know anyone who has a extra shell of any color or scheme laying around that would be willing to part with it. I emailed USAT and they told me they dont have any (makes no sense to me since they are the mfg) any help appreciated. Really dont want to se this engine go to wast juistbecause USAT won sell me a shell.

Thanks
Is it so badly destroyed that you cannot repair it? Amazing what a good super glue can achieve with a bit of effort.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
USAT does manufacture parts, but keeping a stock of shells does not make sense profit wise, the only way they get shells is when they cannibalize a new loco for parts, like a full chassis, etc.

Individual parts that are often used that are not road-name specific like wheels, couplers, handrails (although the often must be painted) are more along the lines of what is a profitable business.

Years ago, parts availability for the big 3 (Bachmann, Aristo, USAT) came into focus and we learned a lot about the process. Except for high volume parts, the parts are only made during the production run, this is the most profitable for Chinese manufacturing.

Just to help the "makes no sense to me"...

Regards, Greg

soo4513

Registered
14 Nov 2009
Inverness
Best answers
Country flag
I’m told for shells the trick is to phone USA trains and ask for the parts department- I think the guys name is Mike, they often have scratch and dent shells. Shipping won’t be cheap because of the size, factor in 70usd plus the cost of the shell

Good luck

Colin

Reactions: 1 user