Bachman Spectrum Climax - DCC or Battery Conversion?

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Way back in 2013 I asked for, and received, advice / links on how to pull my DC-only Climax apart. I had a notion to do a DCC conversion as I'd been doing these to my LGB locos successfully.

However, one look at one of the sites which had a comprehensive description of the conversion made me realise that converting the Climax from DC was much more complex than I had envisaged (compared to this, doing a LGB 3-wire to 4-wire conversion is a "walk in the park"). As a result, the Climax remained relatively unused as I hate the analog "buzz" from the motor when running it as address 0 with my Massoth setup.

I had planned to have another crack at it last year then I met my buddy Docataxel which meant all my nails fell out so I couldn't grip anything, and i got to the point where I could barely walk let alone lift a G scale loco. Things are looking up now and as it's my birthday soon I suggested to my wonderful lady that rather than acquiring another loco/ coach/ wagon, I get the Climax professionally converted so we can run it regularly without worrying about the dreaded "buzz".

Ive asked around and got some quotes and interestingly it seems that it could be a bit cheaper to convert to battery than to DCC. I don't have any battery locos at present, and I do like the fact that everything I'm running is controlled from a single handset with a button that brings everything to a halt immediately for those "Oh s**t!" moments. However, it would be interesting to have a battery loco to see how I get on with it.

Unfortunately, I don't think the people I've asked for a quote understand that this isn't the DCC-ready model and will take considerably more effort to convert to either DCC or battery than they are used to, so the final cost could be pretty steep. So before I take the plunge, I would welcome any thoughts on which way to go, and if anyone has done a DC-only Climax conversion any comments on how difficult it turned out to be in practice would be appreciated. (And of course, if anyone wants to take the job on I'd be delighted to discuss likely costs with them.)

Thanks in advance.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Not a Climax but I did a Bachmann Spectrum 3 truck Shay.
  • Took all the wiring and boards out
  • Connected a Pololu Simple Motor controller to the motors. Pololu Simple Motor Controllers
  • Used a 2.4GHz standard receiver/transmitter combo for radio control
  • Used a LiPo battery for power, NiMH would work just as well.
  • Added a Mylocosound sound card
  • Wired the LED lights across the motor orientated so that when the voltage changed polarity the corresponding LED came on.
and that was it.

Simple and easy conversion which should be able to be done by anybody.

Installation description here Bachmann Spectrum 55 Ton 3 Truck Shay

Down side is that all the other gimmicks are not there anymore (eg firebox flicker)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
As Gap has had done but you could go Battery DCC with either a Crest or Fosworks system. Fosworks will do it for you give them a bell (only answers business number Monday - Friday).

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting, not wanting to start a debate, but was the comparison of cost apples to apples, i.e. both battery and DCC conversions were with sound or both without?

If both had sound, was the sound of comparable quality? You can get some very inexpensive "analog" sound boards and you can get some very expensive DCC boards.

My automotive analogy, I have a battery powered Kia, and a full DCC Audi A8L.... very different cars, and the battery one was cheaper, but I need a charger and to replace the battery eventually.

Greg

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting, not wanting to start a debate, but was the comparison of cost apples to apples, i.e. both battery and DCC conversions were with sound or both without?

If both had sound, was the sound of comparable quality? You can get some very inexpensive "analog" sound boards and you can get some very expensive DCC boards.

My automotive analogy, I have a battery powered Kia, and a full DCC Audi A8L.... very different cars, and the battery one was cheaper, but I need a charger and to replace the battery eventually.

Greg

Sound card can be considered an "optional extra", it is not a necessary component of a battery conversion and it was what I did in my Shay which was the example given.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
A little confused here... Phil has the loco and who I was addressing re his comment:

it seems that it could be a bit cheaper to convert to battery than to DCC

by the original poster.

Thus my question to him (Phil): was the price comparison apples to apples?

Greg

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
A little confused here... Phil has the loco and who I was addressing re his comment:

it seems that it could be a bit cheaper to convert to battery than to DCC

by the original poster.

Thus my question to him (Phil): was the price comparison apples to apples?

Greg

To avoid future confusion perhaps consider a reply addressing the poster eg "Phil, was the price a comparison of apples to apples?" and not to the general forum so others do not get confused about who the question is addressed to.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Mr GAP

Thanks for the description of how you converted your Shay. My Climax doesn't have LED lights or flickering firebox so I guess it should make the conversion a bit easier for whoever does it.

Jon

Hadn't considered Fosworks - I'll definitely give them a call.

Greg

Excellent point. As I'd asked about the DCC conversion first and specified sound as a requirement I assumed the people quoting realised I wanted sound with the battery option. And as I use to tell my students many years ago, to ASSUME makes an ASS out of U and ME... I'll recheck tomorrow.

Thanks to all of you for the helpful comments.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Mr GAP

Thanks for the description of how you converted your Shay. My Climax doesn't have LED lights or flickering firebox so I guess it should make the conversion a bit easier for whoever does it.

Jon

Hadn't considered Fosworks - I'll definitely give them a call.

Greg

Excellent point. As I'd asked about the DCC conversion first and specified sound as a requirement I assumed the people quoting realised I wanted sound with the battery option. And as I use to tell my students many years ago, to ASSUME makes an ASS out of U and ME... I'll recheck tomorrow.

Thanks to all of you for the helpful comments.
I think a lot of the guys that maybe do conversions are not necessarily up to speed with Battery with Sound and the possibility of DCC as well. To be fair to them it is a relatively recent innovation over here. I reviewed 2 systems back in Sept 2018 on here.

Also it should be noted that both systems have other options that interface quite happily to My Loco Sound boards. A more cost effective but less sound function availability than with DCC Battery systems, though Fosworks is limited to 12 Function buttons now. But I find that 12 is more than enough for me, trick is if you get a Sound Chip from Fosworks be sure to specify the sounds that you want! One of the buttons F1 generally turns the sound on and off, though this could be revised. Personally I would use one of the higher functions that requires 2 switches to be pushed at the same time on my next chip.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
To avoid future confusion perhaps consider a reply addressing the poster eg "Phil, was the price a comparison of apples to apples?" and not to the general forum so others do not get confused about who the question is addressed to.
????

MR GAP:
Was not to forum in general, but this topic/thread only, clearly.

Also clearly is that the only person who made a comparison between DCC install and battery install was the OP, not you.

I don't see how anyone could be confused about who I was replying to, but I will make it REALLY CLEAR next time you are on the thread.

Sorry for the confusion, MR GAP,

and Phil, thanks for the reply. Not trying express any more in the DCC vs battery topic, but I find the installations electrically similar, (lights, speaker) and much more work fitting the battery and the charging jack and antenna, as opposed to adding a single board (DCC decoder).

Comparing apples to apples, if you make the same conversion, DCC should almost always be easier. Perhaps more installers have difficulty with programming decoders, that very well could be an explanation.

Greg

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
????

MR GAP:
Was not to forum in general, but this topic/thread only, clearly.

Also clearly is that the only person who made a comparison between DCC install and battery install was the OP, not you.

I don't see how anyone could be confused about who I was replying to, but I will make it REALLY CLEAR next time you are on the thread.

Sorry for the confusion, MR GAP,

and Phil, thanks for the reply. Not trying express any more in the DCC vs battery topic, but I find the installations electrically similar, (lights, speaker) and much more work fitting the battery and the charging jack and antenna, as opposed to adding a single board (DCC decoder).

Comparing apples to apples, if you make the same conversion, DCC should almost always be easier. Perhaps more installers have difficulty with programming decoders, that very well could be an explanation.

Greg

Greg
Thanks for the offer of clarity it will be greatly appreciated.