Help! Restoration of G Scale Piko Turnout Switches - Parts Left Over

GscaleMarv

Registered
3 Jan 2023
Orange CA
Best answers
Country flag
Help! My wife’s cat urinated on my DCC switch turnout and extensively corroded it. I have a Piko 25520 T/O R1-LH that has been converted to DCC remote control. The urination or marking from my wife’s cat gone unnoticed until putting my train layout away until Christmas later this year. Upon disassembly removing the switch machine, decoder, along with the power wires and two “Y” interconnect rail power wires I noticed a small nut on the towel that I used to catch any loose parts. After soaking the T/O in white vinegar/water solution. After soaping, rinsing and drying the T/O, I began to reinstall the switch machine w/decoder, power and interconnect rail wiring where as I noticed an additional loose nut laying next to my assembly project. I have five other switches that I have converted the like and cannot for the life of me figure out where these two nuts go, or if there are additional parts loose that have not fallen apart from the T/O. The T/O functions normally and appears to not have any loose parts that are in need of a nut to secure!
I have searched the internet for an exploded view of the turnout to no avail. This is my rubic’s cube… can anyone enlighten me as to what these two nuts are for and where they belong on the turnout assembly? see attached pics!

Attachments

• IMG_8007.jpeg
    IMG_8007.jpeg
    681.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8008.jpeg
    IMG_8008.jpeg
    658.2 KB · Views: 0

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
So that's where they get to, there's people all over the world looking for those little nuts that where assumed to down between the floor boards :rofl:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Help! My wife’s cat urinated on my DCC switch turnout and extensively corroded it. I have a Piko 25520 T/O R1-LH that has been converted to DCC remote control. The urination or marking from my wife’s cat gone unnoticed until putting my train layout away until Christmas later this year. Upon disassembly removing the switch machine, decoder, along with the power wires and two “Y” interconnect rail power wires I noticed a small nut on the towel that I used to catch any loose parts. After soaking the T/O in white vinegar/water solution. After soaping, rinsing and drying the T/O, I began to reinstall the switch machine w/decoder, power and interconnect rail wiring where as I noticed an additional loose nut laying next to my assembly project. I have five other switches that I have converted the like and cannot for the life of me figure out where these two nuts go, or if there are additional parts loose that have not fallen apart from the T/O. The T/O functions normally and appears to not have any loose parts that are in need of a nut to secure!
I have searched the internet for an exploded view of the turnout to no avail. This is my rubic’s cube… can anyone enlighten me as to what these two nuts are for and where they belong on the turnout assembly? see attached pics!
I wonder if they were glued to the under part so that the screws pulled it up. I can see 2 screws in the sleepers around where they would go possibly put in from the top rather than the bottom?

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Just a minor comment, I can see that you still have the over centre spring attached, Piko recommend removing the spring if a motor is fitted.