Transformers or power packs to be used for outdoor layout

Nicholas

Registered
4 Sep 2017
Godfrey,IL
Best answers
I have been doing some reading and have found 4 transformers that have enough amps to be used for an outdoor layout. I would appreciate some feedback or other suggestions. The ones I read about are
Aristo-Craft Ultimate 10 amp
LGB Jumbo 10 amp
Blue Streak 12 amp
Bridgewerks Magnum 200 and 400 15 amps

If there are any others please let me know. I read that the transformers that come with the sets are 1 amp and this is not sufficient power for an outdoor layout.
Thank you,
Nick

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Depends how big your layout is going to be and the numbers of locos you plan to use?

The LGB Jumbo is an Analogue (DC) unit but you might want to plan to go DCC? Then you need to look at other equipment.

I ran an outdoor layout with an LGB 2A transformer (as supplied in the original train set) for several years on the 'one engine in steam' principle, later moving on to an ART Train Engineer, and then changing over to LGB MTS (DCC). This 5A unit is still adequate for my g scale needs, although one day, I might be tempted to go for a Massoth 12A 1200z unit....

Trainman 864

Registered
24 Sep 2015
Best answers
Country flag
........... If there are any others please let me know .........

Thank you,
Nick

I've been looking at this one .......

http://www.topslotsntrains.com/tops...7-100-VA-&id=8012&manufacturer='PIKO G Scale'

......which - at 5 amps - appears to be the biggest that Piko do - but I'm not sure how many locos you can run with it. I guess it all depends on the nominal loco power, the length (weight) of the trains, the curvature of the track and the steepness of any gradients.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
When I was running track power I used three or four LGB 50111 transformers along with the 51070 throttles. It was plenty of power for my railway that stretched out to about 150 feet along the back of my yard.

Nicholas

Registered
4 Sep 2017
Godfrey,IL
Best answers
I thought it might be a good place to start since I do not have a layout done yet. I am looking ahead so when I have one I have sufficient power for different sizes. Is a 5 amp good enough for a backyard layout and if so are there any better than others?

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
This is what I use when running in Analogue. Approximately 300ft of track divided into 4 separate circuits with usually a fairly hefty loco on each. 4 x LGB 51070 + 4 x LGB 50110 each rated at 5 amps. Connection into the layout via 7 core trailer plugs and sockets with distribution around the garden on 1.5mm 3-core household lighting cable.
P1060254.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I have been doing some reading and have found 4 transformers that have enough amps to be used for an outdoor layout. I would appreciate some feedback or other suggestions. The ones I read about are
Aristo-Craft Ultimate 10 amp
LGB Jumbo 10 amp
Blue Streak 12 amp
Bridgewerks Magnum 200 and 400 15 amps

If there are any others please let me know. I read that the transformers that come with the sets are 1 amp and this is not sufficient power for an outdoor layout.
Thank you,
Nick

In your location I'd rule out the first two simply because LGB and Aristo have gone out of business and subsequently changed hands so service may be problematical.
Whatever you go for I suggest 10 A minimum as I've seen a USA Trains consist with two locos and several lit coaches draw 7A.

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
In your location I'd rule out the first two simply because LGB and Aristo have gone out of business and subsequently changed hands so service may be problematical.
Whatever you go for I suggest 10 A minimum as I've seen a USA Trains consist with two locos and several lit coaches draw 7A.
7 Amps, that's an awful lot, how long was the train?

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
As a general rule lgb motors draw 0.5 to 1 Amp, USA trains locos tend to draw more, proabably nearer 1 amp per motor ,

It all depends on your individual power needs, as split in to several sections , you might only need 2 amps per section.

Dan

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
The amp requirement is not directly related to the size of the layout. It relates to the power requirement of the trains you run (loco plus any lights in rolling stock). If you run large locos with smoke units and trains with lots of lights then you need more amps than a little start-set loco will draw, it doesn't matter whether your line is 5ft or 500ft long. You can run a small loco on a 1 amp power pack round a 500ft line.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
7 Amps, that's an awful lot, how long was the train?
Only around half a dozen coaches but with two USAT F3s on the front. These each have two motors and two smoke units and have a reputation of being "amp hungry". The old style relatively large incandescent lamps in the coaches and the drag from their pickups didn't help either.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Nicholas...

1. you need to state the locos (brand and model) you want to run
2. how many running at the same time
3. grades and curves
4. what trains you are pulling (length, type of cars)

Also, no offense to our hosts, but the people in the UK use a lot more low-current motors that us US guys do... I NEVER recommend much under 10 amps if you are pulling long trains, or have steep grades, or are running power hungry locos.

If you answer the 4 questions above we can give you much better answers.

Greg

Nicholas

Registered
4 Sep 2017
Godfrey,IL
Best answers
As of now I have a Bachmann Big Hauler set that has a total of 4 cars. What I want to do is run 2 trains about the same as the one I have. I am just getting started but I want to prepare for the future.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Those locos will pull maybe 2 amps... but you still missed #3.

So a 5 amp unit will probably suffice for now. You can probably run 2 more power hungry locos and maybe some smoke. Bigger locos, lighted cars steep grades, then you will need more.

By the way, I have mentioned before I have several trains that run just shy of 10 amps, one a 10 car passenger with old style lights and another with 45-50 cars. That's extreme and my max grade is 3.4%. This is the far end of the spectrum, but my system needs over 10 amps.

Greg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I would agree with the Aristo remark of an older unit. But original LGB kit is pretty near indestructible so servicing is an issue that I would not bother too much about. Also some older LGB Units can be had for such a bargain base price these days if it goes belly up (highly unlikely) then you can relarptively easily get a low cost replacement.
JonD

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
You forgot 'speed' as well Greg. If you want to run your trains near full speed they will draw considerably more power than at a crawl. 1 or 2 amps will work for a simple layout, 5 amp minimum and 10+ if you want big trains and more than one of them.

But, with a Big Hauler, I would just get out there and get something running with the gear you have - upgrade later - you may have picked up a lot of information in the meantime.

Nicholas

Registered
4 Sep 2017
Godfrey,IL
Best answers
Those locos will pull maybe 2 amps... but you still missed #3.

So a 5 amp unit will probably suffice for now. You can probably run 2 more power hungry locos and maybe some smoke. Bigger locos, lighted cars steep grades, then you will need more.

By the way, I have mentioned before I have several trains that run just shy of 10 amps, one a 10 car passenger with old style lights and another with 45-50 cars. That's extreme and my max grade is 3.4%. This is the far end of the spectrum, but my system needs over 10 amps.

Greg
Any 5 amp units that you can recommend?

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
I used a Blue Streak to power my railway for over 10 years and sent it back twice to be upgraded as they improved and up-rated the performance. It's a great power pack, has three separate channels and a wired remote. I still have it, if your interested give me a shout as I no longer have the railway and doubt that I will have a use for the power if I do rebuild something in my old age.....................railway destruction 002 (Small).jpg

Attachments

• railway destruction 007 (Small).jpg
    railway destruction 007 (Small).jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 0

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Power supplies have misleading info as follows:
JUMBO can out put 10 amps, and can do 24 volts, but not at the same time!!!!
Same for the Ultima ratings. These power packs ouput lower voltage as the current increases!!
Bridgewerks does the same, but they use over 35 volts which can destroy electronics in our engines. The locking lever on the panel (which can slip or even break) is user adjusted to limit the voltage, but the more current you draw the lower the voltage output!!
Myself (and Greg E.), use only regulated power supplies, the output voltage remains constant even though the current changes from minimum to max.