Trams: Is There Much Tramway Interest On Here??

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I grew up in the '60's in the Victoria area of London. I was excited seeing the works going on, especially in and around Oxford Circus, where we did a lot of the weekly shop (Lena's and Schmidts dellis in Soho). I remember that line opening in 1967, the trains were automated from the outset but still had a driver to press the start button. Had to take a ride to the end of the line.

If you have a simple linear and encapsulated route automation I suppose should be relatively straightforward. However, when you get to more complex pathing, mixing express, commuter and freight operations, you then will probably get into the need to decrease the density of trains to create the safety margins required. Ironic when you look at the Thameslink application of automation to promote frequency on a selective common part of a number of routes. But you still need someone there if a system fails. Although that would never have saved all those poor souls who were lost in the Old Street disaster. There the failed component appeared to be human. The £7 billion quote was just for the TfL operated area never mind the rest of the soon to be Great British Railway network, even more irony. Driverless buses anyone ? Max

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The £7 billion quote was just for the TfL operated area never mind the rest of the soon to be Great British Railway network, even more irony.
That's because arguably, TFL have the most complex area of the entire network - Just take a 30 minute ride out of any of the London termini and count the junctions, then look at stuff like the overground circle which adds radial connections to all of the other branches, and the connectivity is huge :nod::nod::nod::nod:.

Just think how many London termini have two routes to a single destination, and how many different termini you can reach from any surburban station (without resorting to the tube) - as I say, I think it's more complex south of the Thames, but if you started to try and put that into a matrix you'd fry yer brain :eek::eek:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just because the DLR train captain is sat in the chair doesn't mean he's driving - he can also operate the doors from that position.

I used to find it mildly disturbing, but eventually got used to it when the train captain got up and left his seat, heading for the door, just as we approached the buffers at Lewisham :worried::worried::worried:
I can tell the difference when a Captain is driving a DLR Service than when he is just opening the doors. 29 years working for the Railway gives you that sort of knowledge of the person at the front seat.

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I grew up in Hong Kong, we moved there in the days before the days of electrification. I vaguely remember when it was announced our new MTR (underground trains) would be operated by a computer, it took a few weeks to get use to the idea, their was a person at the front end to open and close the doors, but I think the fact that the train always stopped in exactly the same gave a level of confidence.

But then we were getting use to all sorts of new things as Hong Kong was being modernised back then.

Hong Kong now has a whole network of automated trains and to the best of my knowledge the MTR hasn't ever had any major major issues.

You could tell when the train was in manual mode by a slowly flash orange light at the front, drivers were also restricted to a much slowly speed in manual mode.

As an aside, I do remember going to the training school where their was a model layout the size of which I had never seen before, the layout could operate to simulate what was actually happening out on the main line, each model train which was effectively just a 0 scale ish box was stopping at the stations as was an actually train, this is from memory, like DCC each model had a headcode to match an actually train. As a youngster with a few pieces N gauge life was never going to be the same again.

David

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I can tell the difference when a Captain is driving a DLR Service than when he is just opening the doors. 29 years working for the Railway gives you that sort of knowledge of the person at the front seat.
Yeah, it's usually in the braking, and often, the auto grabs and releases in the last 50 yards ;);) and at Blackfriars on Thameslink, it's the same spot every time :nod:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Manchester Metrolink 3125 and 3025 at Rochdale town centre yesterday.

It was the first day in service for 3125, some 10 years after 3025’s first day in service.

View attachment 285758
That is a pairing that you could have waited years for.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Looks great. TBH I thought it was wallpaper for your phone or computer, not for real walls!
If you type "tram" in the search box it comes up with other tram pictures, you can also upload your own hi-res photo to have printed as wallpaper.

I suspect even if I wait for the right moment its unlikely we'll have tram wall paper anywhere ;-(

David

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I couldn't find anywhere else to post this Tram Wallpaper but thought it worthy of sharing.

David
They do all sorts and can be priced for UK. But where are they located? Looked on the site but could not find that info.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
They do all sorts and can be priced for UK. But where are they located? Looked on the site but could not find that info.
Wallgroup B.V.

Tilbury 8
3897AC, Zeewolde
The Netherlands

Address is at the bottom of the web site ;-)

David

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
These been a slight bo bo with some drawings I ordered for Edinburgh trams , they have been printed for 45mm gauge, G Scale 1:32 scale, would they be of any interest or use to anyone?

David

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
These been a slight bo bo with some drawings I ordered for Edinburgh trams , they have been printed for 45mm gauge, G Scale 1:32 scale, would they be of any interest or use to anyone?

David
Why can't you use them David? Just alter the measurements to suit the scale you want to build the tram/s in - like add 50% or thereabouts) for 1:20 .
Just a thought from a Tightwad.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Why can't you use them David? Just alter the measurements to suit the scale you want to build the tram/s in - like add 50% or thereabouts) for 1:20 .
Just a thought from a Tightwad.
Trammayo,

It wasn't my bo bo, the person I purchased them from has supplied the correct scale drawings, the supplier said to just skip them but I thought someone here might find them useful and help the small trader supplier recoup so costs.

David

Last edited:

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A couple from Nottingham yesterday....

21-252a.JPG

21-257a.JPG

First time I'd used any form of Public Transport since December 2019 - though have been on a few preserved lines and museum operations (when you could..) in that period.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Nottingham is a great system even better now it has been extended. Juts love the old mining railway ambience at Cinder Hill Tram Stop. Search it on Google Street view for some excellent pics of the site.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Nottingham is a great system even better now it has been extended. Juts love the old mining railway ambience at Cinder Hill Tram Stop. Search it on Google Street view for some excellent pics of the site.
I'll have to remember that for our next visit