Trams: Is There Much Tramway Interest On Here??

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
Yes trams are interesting.
My new project Tram car 3818 from Wuppertal has hís first test ride on Saturday. It ran nearly perfect, only some modifications at the two bogies are to make.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
An interesting photo that I found on display at the Vienna Transport Museum last Sunday.......

DSCF2394.JPG
Hadn't realised that they actually ran a few double deck cars in Vienna in the past. It looks as though it wouldn't be out of place running somewhere like Sheffield or Leeds with that body styling !
When the original photo was taken, traffic ran on the left as well, so even the passengers are waiting on the "correct" side.
There were apparently 3 of them and they remained in service up until 1938, when they were withdrawn, presumably as a result of the enforced change to the rule of the road courtesy of Adolf and friends......

Reactions: 3 users

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Part of the collection of OcCre 1/24 trams assembled and displayed by Keith Lambert at the G Scale Society Solent Local Area Group bi-annual exhibition, Wickham, Hampshire, 4.11.2017

dig 171104008[2].JPG

David

Reactions: 3 users

No72

Registered
21 Dec 2014
Melobourne Australia
Best answers
Trams are all I model these days... To get my interest they must have character and a trolley pole... To each their own I guess... I enjoy more the building than probably the running and solving the many little vicissitudes thrown up is lots of fun...

Attachments

• DSCF2367 (Medium).jpeg
    DSCF2367 (Medium).jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2107 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2107 (Medium).JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2135 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2135 (Medium).JPG
    254 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2144 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2144 (Medium).JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2153 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2153 (Medium).JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2156 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2156 (Medium).JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2185 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2185 (Medium).JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2220 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF2220 (Medium).JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2256 (Medium).jpeg
    DSCF2256 (Medium).jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2257 (Medium).jpeg
    DSCF2257 (Medium).jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2275 (Medium).jpeg
    DSCF2275 (Medium).jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2310 (Medium).jpeg
    DSCF2310 (Medium).jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2323 (Medium).jpeg
    DSCF2323 (Medium).jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2350 (Medium).jpeg
    DSCF2350 (Medium).jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2363 (Medium).jpeg
    DSCF2363 (Medium).jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2366 (Medium).jpeg
    DSCF2366 (Medium).jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: 2 users

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
A scene from Keith Lambert's Heritage Trams layout. Stock built by Keith Lambert, buildings scratch built by Peter Foxwell. G Scale Society Solent Local Area Group bi-annual exhibition, Wickham, Hampshire, 4.11.2017

dig 171104005.JPG

David

Reactions: 1 users

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Here with a couple of photos of Munich Trams taken on a recent visit:

1-IMG_0010-001.JPG2-IMG_0011-001.JPG

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Here with a couple of photos of Munich Trams taken on a recent visit:

View attachment 240144View attachment 240145
One of the routes back in year 2000 used to run by a road that led to a great G Scale Midel Railway Shop. The route was on the Northern Side of Munchen Hbf heading west prety well parallel to the Station about 3-4 minutes from the front of the Station. Best info I can give I am afraid.

No72

Registered
21 Dec 2014
Melobourne Australia
Best answers
I was expunged from the model tramway group because they claimed I was playing guessing games but that's bye the bye.... But I was "reviewing" video taken at the 2017 model tramways festival and a couple of things immediately came to mind. 1) incredibly detailed model tramway layouts with superb detail on buildings and streets yet there is no overhead or slot for a plough. 2) Quite a few of the trams run at near light speed and when they stop its just a clunkbang no slowing down, just a stop that would have passengers falling all over the place. So it seems "control" is an issue for a lot of modelers. Just my observations not that I should talk but I am trying to get my cars to run slowly and stop slowly... Thoughts? Discussion?

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I was expunged from the model tramway group because they claimed I was playing guessing games but that's bye the bye.... But I was "reviewing" video taken at the 2017 model tramways festival and a couple of things immediately came to mind. 1) incredibly detailed model tramway layouts with superb detail on buildings and streets yet there is no overhead or slot for a plough. 2) Quite a few of the trams run at near light speed and when they stop its just a clunkbang no slowing down, just a stop that would have passengers falling all over the place. So it seems "control" is an issue for a lot of modelers. Just my observations not that I should talk but I am trying to get my cars to run slowly and stop slowly... Thoughts? Discussion?
Lack of overhead wires and fast running are pet beefs of mine. However I recently visited a garden railway which was totally tram operation. All the trams with the exception of a stream tram picked up their power from the overhead and they all ran at realistic speeds. A great deal of thought had gone into the layout.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Isn't some of the problem down to dirty track and too coarse speed controllers?

tramwayknowledge

Tramway Modelling
22 Oct 2011
Fife
Best answers
Country flag
You are right No.72. Much tramway modelling seems to lag a long way behind the best railway modelling. I think that OO and N gauge trams often lack mass and flywheels so the inertia of the prototypes is lacking - one of the many reasons why I decided to move up to G scale for my 'Last-and-best' layout (though I am also amassing gear for an 009 micro layout to play with when the Scottish winter weather drives me indoors)

I know that it may seem impertinent of me to criticise others efforts when all I have to show at the moment is an extremely robust benchwork and masses and masses of 'projects for the future' (I should live so long....), but it does people no good to pretend that all our geese are swans; I have seen some great tram layouts, but I have seen some real turkeys in my time as well. Still 'for those that like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like'.

No72

Registered
21 Dec 2014
Melobourne Australia
Best answers
You are right No.72. Much tramway modelling seems to lag a long way behind the best railway modelling. I think that OO and N gauge trams often lack mass and flywheels so the inertia of the prototypes is lacking - one of the many reasons why I decided to move up to G scale for my 'Last-and-best' layout (though I am also amassing gear for an 009 micro layout to play with when the Scottish winter weather drives me indoors)

I know that it may seem impertinent of me to criticise others efforts when all I have to show at the moment is an extremely robust benchwork and masses and masses of 'projects for the future' (I should live so long....), but it does people no good to pretend that all our geese are swans; I have seen some great tram layouts, but I have seen some real turkeys in my time as well. Still 'for those that like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like'.

I tend to agree. I am always in favour of positive critique. Individually it makes us better and stronger and as groups it improves focus and promotes a stronger "team" environment. However knocking someones work simply because they either lack skill or you don't like it does not serve any purpose except alienation.
I am curious though as to why the tramway chaps seem so far behind their railway counterparts when both are basically the same thing.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I totally agree with what you say but as Casey mentioned there are some that get it right. On the other side of the coin I have just been rebuilding a Garden Railway for a friend and he left me a Loco to Test out the rehash of the fiddle yard that had been completely relaid and additional points put in. The loco was a Heljan Class 25 Diesel that a friend of his had done some work on the chip. It ran so slow (35 scale kph max) and had the acceleration/deceleration so much altered that it took me near half an hour to test the 5 sidings in the 10ft long shed. This loco took 8 yards from max speed to a stop!

I know that shunting is supposed to be done in a controled manner but at 1/2 MPH for all the moves as you often see at shows is just plain silly. I worked at Healey Mills Marshalling Yard back in the 70/80's and the speed that shuters used to knock cuts in to sidings and how they moved around had to be seen to be believed. All done with gradual starts to a fast run then fairly quick slows to a stop and reverce. Not something that can be seen much now but worth watching if you can find a yard somewhere. This vid shows some of the variety of speeds, very slow in places but also some quite quick runs as well. Pretty much how I remember things to be at the Mills

As for Tram layouts with no wires one of my pet hates to. Also Electric Railways all round. A better option rather than nothing is to run with the Pans up, they do need to be tethered to a certain average hight though. Though with BiMode and Batter Trams being all the rage just now I guess thatbin Modern Day equivalents there is a prototype for us. Though Battery Operated Trams are nothing new, but in the olden days they never had a pan as well. I will finish off with something for the Modern Days that I intend to build. A BiMode on the Harz. Running on Dismal no wires, pan down!

image.jpeg

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
A scene from Herritage Tramway showing part of the collection of OcCre 1/24 trams assembled and displayed by Keith Lambert at the G Scale Society Solent Local Area Group bi-annual exhibition, Wickham, Hampshire, 4.11.2017

dig 171104004.JPG

David

Reactions: 4 users

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Tram on a street in Seville, Spain, 18.9.2018

IMG_7797.JPG

David

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Spent Saturday at the East Anglia Transport Museum for what was billed as "Trolleybus Weekend". Other modes of transport were available:

EATM-2018-04.jpg

Interesting was the fact that I used to get the Rte.161 bus to school everyday, from Mottingham to Shooters Hill. At that time, though, it was on an RT, not a Routemaster.

More tram pics should follow.

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
My interests for the trams caught me round about 1972. I got a simple plastic box called camera from Kodak and made my first photos. Later I filmed them with a suoper 8 camera. And a few days ago I bought a simple super 8 film scanner. Here is the first result. It shows a diversion on route 2 and 8. Tracks are renewed on their normal service to Klinikum Barmen. At those times they had a block bypass. So I filmed that.

No72

Registered
21 Dec 2014
Melobourne Australia
Best answers
That is an astounding result from 8mm... Could you share details re your scanner?

No72

Registered
21 Dec 2014
Melobourne Australia
Best answers
Is that a battery powered tram recharging from a short length of overhead? I see no overhead wire.
Ah yes, Senor Google reveals that it is.
Super capacitor tram... They charge up in about 30 seconds where as a battery takes much longer to charge.