Train Engineer alternatives if it dies ?

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
or just Ebay a replacement TE
Would a TE bought now by definition be 2nd hand and what chance would there be that it would in a short time just go pop with no chance of money back ? Just a thought. Max.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You might prefer the smaller Deltang-type handset/controller, rather than a cumbersome 'stick' R/C transmitter unit? - Else, yes it will work.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Oh, and the Revolution is a different beast.. Full voltage on track (or on-board batteries), and a RX/controller in each loco. - Each loco has a different address (not the same as DCC) and you can run a number of loco's at the same time.
You would need a Revolution RX in each loco, so not an easy, or cheap, alternative.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, thanks Neil.. Did not know that.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
Recently my 27MHz. Train Engineer stopped working. I looked and telephoned the well known UK retailers and managed to get a second hand TE Tx plus Rx from Sandy at Scottish Garden Railways.
I did investigate why my original TE had failed and it was simply due to the AA batteries giving off fumes as they were expiring. A careful clean with a soft tissue over both sides of the pcb and components removed the "film" and brought the TE back to life.
I had intended to look for a s/hand TE: the failure prompted me into action. ;)
This all turned out to be fortunate as it meant that my three existing receivers still had a purpose and were not going to be redundant and I now have a second transmitter and fourth receiver. The fourth Rx is used to control track power, when used, the other three are fitted into battery trailing cars.

The other option, had I not found the s/h TE Tx and Rx. would have been to opt for the Crest Electronics Revolution. Obviously this would have been a more expensive option that the s/h TE. Some REVO's are still available in the UK, I notice, but they are also easily imported direct from Crest in New Jersey.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I did investigate why my original TE had failed and it was simply due to the AA batteries giving off fumes as they were expiring. A careful clean with a soft tissue over both sides of the pcb and components removed the "film" and brought the TE back to life.

Interesting. So the moral is - Always remove the batteries from your TE TX when storing for a period of time ? Had mine for 11 years and not had that problem to date. Must have got lucky. Better take the batteries out now as it will be laid up till next spring. Good tip. Max.

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
Truthfully, I believe it was the cheap batteries (£1 for about 10 in the discount shops) that may have been the issue more than storage time.
They were all I had when battery change was needed.

Memo: Get some good batteries at the Exeter Show!! this week-end. ;)

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Train Engineer dies?

Isn't that what a 'Dead Man's Handle' is for?

:giggle::giggle::giggle:

H/C/D.

Reactions: 1 user

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
:rofl:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Is the TE similar to the Revolution handset??
The Revo (handset) shuts down if the volts get too low.. Could it just have been your cheapy batteries were a little low??

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
I tried new batteries without success. I am sure it was how I described in Post 30. A motor vehicle electronics engineer did confirm my thoughts about the 'slime' ( I used the word film) as he called it.