Rollwagens and standard-gauge loads from Modellbau Uwe....

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
As promised in the recent thread about Rollwagen models here:
https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/rollwagon-thats-nice-ill-have-two.308290/#post-465391
this is the review of the pair of Rollwagens with standard-gauge wagon loads that I recently received from Modellbau Uwe in Germany (Bad Schlema).

Ordering them by email was simple, Uwe is a really nice guy to deal with, answered all my questions promptly and accepted Paypal payment without any hassle or surcharges. I don't know what his English is like, as I send all my emails to German suppliers both in English and German (via Google Translate, which while far from perfect is generally good enough) and his replies were all in German - but running them quickly through the translator made them easy enough to follow.

My order comprised two Rollwagens (of Sachsen prototypes) with different numbers, two standard-gauge wagons (one open with coal load, and one box van) to be carried on the rollwagens, and three coupling shafts (one short to connect the two rollwagens together, two longer ones to link either end of the rollwagen rake with LGB type couplers on a loco and/or leading or trailing cars). Four metal coupling pins were supplied to connect the shafts to the coupler pockets on the rollwagens.

Rollwagen 87.jpeg

Rollwagen 88 side.jpeg

Rollwagen coupling close.jpeg

To cover the rollwagens themselves first: they are all hand-built in mixed materials to what i would consider a very high standard. Some parts are heavy gauge CNC-cut plastic (such as the main long girder frames on which the loaded wagon sits), others are metal castings (most of the cross-frames and braces, the wheel chocks for the load and all the fine detail work). I asked for two different wagon numbers, and got not only that but actually two slightly different models (which was fine by me because I like the variety, but others might choose to specify which type(s) they wanted); the two differ in the placement of the air brake tanks within the rollwagen frame, with one having the tanks sideways across the frame and the other mounting them longitudinally. The cast metal wheel chocks "work", in that you can swing them outward and slide them along the metal rod to the desired position, then swing them up to lock them in position.

Rollwagens top.2.jpeg

Both rollwagens came with very nice free-running metal wheelsets, which I had specified as an extra - the basic default is plastic wheels, but I would say that the extra cost for metal ones is well justified. Do be aware that you CAN'T easily swap the wheelsets around, as they are built into the bogie frames - so if you think you might want metal wheels then order them at the time, don't expect to be able to swap them over later!
The wheels are quite small - around 20mm tyre diameter, even smaller than LGB Feldbahn sets - but with LGB-style deep flanges so they should run happily on most Code 332 track (or anything that standard LGB wheels are happy on).

One thing I tried while taking the photos, was to check if there was enough swing in the bogies to handle Radius 1 curves (the degree of swing is limited because the bogies are fully enclosed by the main frame rails) - the answer is yes, easily - as shown in this photo. Rolling them (by hand) through an R3 point in both directions indicated no obvious potential problems with point frogs or flangeways, but do be aware that the rigidity of the bogie mountings (there is a LITTLE bit of play in them, but not much) means that they will most likely be happiest on level, well-laid trackwork..... I suspect this may well be a conscious design descision to avoid other problems such as the very top-heavy loaded wagons being somewhat unstable if the bogie mounts allowed too much movement. In any case, to have a train of these moving at anything over a very low scale speed would be asking for trouble, as well as horribly unprotoypical!

Rollwagen radius1.jpeg

Finally, the paintwork and markings: both very good, though the slightly glossy black paint seems a bit prone to chipping off the metal cast parts if not handled carefully - I can see a bit of touching up being required during their life (oo-er Missus....). All the markings are proper decals, very finely printed and well applied with no visible "backing" to them.

Rollwagen detail.1.jpeg

Rollwagen detail.2.jpeg

Rollwagen detail.3.jpeg

So, that's it for the rollwagens themselves - next post will be a review of the Standard Gauge wagons supplied as loads, then some pics of the whole rake set up and ready to go!

Jon.

Attachments

• Rollwagen 87side.jpeg
    Rollwagen 87side.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 3 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Part two - the Standard Gauge wagons....

Having reviewed the rollwagens themselves above, let's have a look at the two loads that came with them (I ordered them as two sets of rollwagen and load - you can buy the rollwagens separately if you prefer to make or convert your own standard gauge stock).

I got one each of the open wagon and the box van, and I'd say both are excellent; quality-wise the open truck probably has the edge, for several reasons I'll go into below.
Starting with the box van, this is a heavily-converted model using the basic body and roof of a Train/Newqida boxcar; the end verandah of the original has been dispensed with, and the body has been significantly improved and detailed with all-new sliding side doors with very fine handrails, latch mechanisms etc, all in metal. The converted van body is mounted on a completely scratch-built chassis and underframe with two standard-gauge wheelsets carried on very fine metal cast springs and axleboxes. Brake hoses, side steps, scale-type couplings and buffers have been added, the latter following the correct German prototype pattern of having one "flat" buffer head on one side and one "domed" one on the other, something that I've never noticed as being depicted on a G-scale wagon model before. Anyway, the pictures tell the full story much better than words can, so this is what you get:

SG van side.jpeg

SG van 3:4.jpeg

SG van door detail.jpeg

SG van end detail.jpeg

The only criticism I can really have of the box van is the fact that the markings on the van body (apart from the large "DR") are the "stuck-on" variety rather than the fine decals used elsewhere - this is a bit of a shame, and I do wonder if it is something that Uwe is in the process of changing over (as the rollwagens themselves, and the open wagon reviewed below, both have "proper" decals throughout). The printed brown background of the markings is a significantly different shade to the paintwork of the actual body, but I think that in most normal running at garden viewing distances it won't be too noticeable and I'm not too concerned by it - but if anyone else is planning to order some it might be worth asking about this first if you think it might be something that will bug you.
In all other ways, this wagon is an excellent model, and certainly looks "right" when put against typical LGB narrow-gauge stock.

One other point to note is that the wheelsets on the standard-gauge wagons are NOT free-running - they will turn, but only just - but I feel this is both sensible and deliberate; when loaded onto the rollwagens, the brakes would certainly be firmly "on" (which is how they are depicted on the model, with the brake shoes firmly in contact with the wheel rims), and you certainly don't want the wagon rolling about!
This does mean that anyone wanting to combine a standard gauge (63mm) line with a narrow-gauge one and actually have a working loading ramp for the rollwagens would have to fit alternative wheelsets to the big wagons so that they actually roll - but for anyone contemplating building a functioning scene like that, such a job would be the easy part..... as it is, for their role as a load for the rollwagens, this set-up works just fine.

Now, the other standard-gauge piece - the open wagon! Mine came with a coal load (very convincing, with three "loading humps") but I understand that sand and possibly stone/gravel/ballast are also options available to order.
This wagon is, or certainly appears to be, a complete scratchbuild as opposed to the heavily-converted Newqida of the box van. The body and chassis are very solidly made and finely detailed: CNC-milled plastic with loads of applied metal detailing, handrails, coupling chains, buffers, brakes etc. The markings are all proper decals, with no visible backing. Like the box van, the wheels are held quite rigidly in very finely made metal axleboxes and springs.
Again, the pictures will tell it much better than I can write it.....

SG open side.jpeg

SG open 3:4.jpeg

SG open end detail.jpeg

SG open end.2.jpeg

Next, part three - the whole rake together.....

Jon.

Reactions: 2 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Part three.... the whole caboodle....

Having waffled on a bit in the last two posts, this one is mainly going to be a load of pictures - the weather was nice enough today to snap these outside, with the rollwagens connected by the "short" coupling bar and then loaded up with the two standard gauge wagons:

Rollwagens unladen.2.jpeg

Rollwagens unladen.3.jpeg

Rollwagens coupling rod.jpeg

Rollwagen loaded open.jpeg

Rollwagen loaded van.jpeg

Rollwagens loaded.1.jpeg

Rollwagens loaded.2.jpeg

Overall opinions? Very pleased with these, and I'd say that they come highly recommended; it would be nice if Uwe changed the markings on the van body to proper decals like the rest of the range, because it would make a big difference to the appearance of that piece of stock - but it's a small point when all the rest looks so good.
I don't yet know what their running characteristics will be like when actually on the move behind a loco - when I get the chance to set that up, I will take and post some more pics!

Uwe's website and price details: http://modellbau-uwe.de/wagons.html

Jon.

Reactions: 5 users

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
look really great - envious !

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Love them! How do they 'actually' couple to LGB style couplers, a loco say.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Love them! How do they 'actually' couple to LGB style couplers, a loco say.

I'll do a photo in a day or two and post it - the long coupling shaft has a rather ingenious bit on the end that engages with both the hook and loop on an LGB standard coupling, forming a very secure connection, but has no moving parts; it can be uncoupled by lowering the hook as normal, though you'd have to do this by hand or the pole will simply drop to the ground.

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Jon,

Thanks for the review, they look brilliant. What a great purchase!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Nice review of some very useful Prototypes for us European Modellers. These babies are/were quite widespread in Germany, Austria, Poland, Switzerland and possibly other nearby Countries as well. Not unknown in UK either the Leek and Manifold had them. But after that closed the Transfer to the Ashover did not see them have much use, quite likely due to stability issus on 2ft Gauge. The Leek at 2'6" being the equivalent of Continental 75 or 76cm lines.
JonD

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
:envy:
Lovely models, great write-up :clap:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Martin, JonD, Pugs and all......

OK, re Duncan's question about how the coupling shafts fit to the LGB coupler on a loco: the "long" coupler shaft has a simple loop on one end to connect it to the rollwagen coupler pocket with a securing pin (the "short" shaft that connects the two rollwagens together has this simple loop and pin connector on both ends). The other end of the long shaft, to connect either direct to a loco or to leading or trailing cars with LGB type couplers, has a cunningly-designed arrangement that looks like this:

Coupler rod.1.jpeg

It is a solid metal casting, with no moving parts - the small loop (which serves a double purpose, as explained below) and the tab below it simply rest above and below the LGB coupler loop, while the LGB hook engages with the slot in the lower part of the connecting bracket, thus:

Loco coupling.4.jpeg

Loco coupling.1.jpeg

Loco coupling.3.jpeg

Loco coupling.2.jpeg

When connected in this manner, the coupling appears very effective and there doesn't seem to be any likelihood of accidental uncoupling - to disconnect, you must lower the LGB hook so that it disengages from the slot in the bracket, then draw the shaft away from the LGB loop. The little loop on the end of the coupling shaft can, I presume, either have a pin dropped through it (and thus through the LGB loop) as a belt-and braces backup against accidental uncoupling, though this really doesn't seem necessary - but I assume it is mainly there in case you want to connect it to a loco which has a scale-type link and pin coupler rather than the LGB type.

I bought two of these long shafts in my order, so that I can use one at each end of the pair of rollwages, allowing me to couple to a loco and then still have some additional LGB wagons added on to form the rest of the train - there are many period pictures around of a couple of rollwagens with standard-gauge loads forming part of the "mixed" train with regular narrow-gauge wagons.
So, a very simple yet very effective way of coupling up to an LGB loco; I think it would probably also work with a Massoth powered uncoupler, the only problem being that the uncoupled end of the shaft would the simply drop to the sleepers and any recoupling would need to be done manually.

Jon.

Reactions: 3 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The coupling is indeed ingenious and will work fine for those who have an LGB Hook on their Locomotives. This suggests that those of you who do indulge in these Rollwagens will need to consider LGB Hooks at both ends of Loco's if you wish to run round and pull them both ways round your line.

With regard to Other Stock being hauled behind or with Rollwagons, it was not unusual for an old Passenger Coach to be tagged behind on some lines. Rollwagens and indeed Rollblocks are pretty labour intensive so the additional crew certainly in Steam and early Diesel days needed something to travel in.

Nice reviews of superb items.
JonD

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I asked Uwe a question about whether he is planning to do any HSB Rollwagens as well as the Sachsen designs he already makes...... his answer was yes! :)

Jon.

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jon,

I would like to draw your attention to the Model Eisenbahner Spezial Nr 22. A link to the magazine website is here: https://www.modelleisenbahner.de

Not only does the magazine contain a DVD of the Selketalbahn but also has an article on Rollbocken in the Harz with lots of photos and prototype usage and data.

I can thoroughly recommend the magazine.

Regards

Martin

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the link, Martin - looks an interesting publication!

Jon.

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the link, Martin - looks an interesting publication!

Jon.
Jon,

I forgot to mention that you can download an ebook version.

Martin

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
A little addendum to this thread, following the Rollwagens' first proper run on the tracks yesterday down at our (GSS Essex) regular winter indoor running day in Salcott.....

I can confirm, after a very enjoyable day of running, that the Rollwagens do indeed behave very well on the track both with and without their standard-gauge loads; coupled up behind a Rugen 0-8-0 and with an extra narrow-gauge van hung on the back (so the complete train went "Loco, long coupling rod, rollwagen, short coupling rod, rollwagen, long coupling rod, LGB narrow-gauge van"), the whole setup ran very nicely - no "wobble" from the Rollwagens or their loads, and quite happy at anything up to medium speeds - naturally I didn't open the throttle TOO wide, but I did test it up to a considerably higher speed than would be realistic and all was fine.
The ingenious method of linking to the LGB couplers, as reviewed above, worked perfectly with no unexpected uncouplings or trouble on curves - the floor-laid track at the meet was mostly R3 but with a couple of S-bends, the coupling rods coped with that quite happily. Points, which were an eclectic mix of types including some GRS handbuilds, were all negotiated without hesitation or problems.

I didn't have the chance to take any running photos myself, but several were taken by others present at the meet and if I can scrounge some copies from people then I will post the here. Suffice to say that the whole setup behaved as well as I could have hoped for, and I would say that the functional performance of the Rollwagens is every bit as good as their appearance! :)

Jon.

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
I asked Uwe a question about whether he is planning to do any HSB Rollwagens as well as the Sachsen designs he already makes...... his answer was yes! :)

Jon.

Oh dear My HSB fire tank would look rather nice on one of those, better start saving for Christmas

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Oh dear My HSB fire tank would look rather nice on one of those, better start saving for Christmas

I don't know this for sure, but I reckon if you asked Uwe VERY nicely then he might be able to supply you with the running-gear parts to convert your HSB fire tanker into a Standard Gauge one to sit nicely on the Rollwagen.... or if you sent him the tanker, he might even be prepared to convert it for you. All this is conjecture, of course, but there is no harm in asking......

Jon.