Track Cleaning MTS Trip

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So the only option is the "mode" jumper, referenced in post #7?

Gizzy, what mode are you operating in?

Apparently jumper in: autoreversing initiated by sensor tracks.
jumper out: sensor tracks and short circuit detection will cause reversing

Greg

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
i should have noted in my previous post that my reverse module has the internal jumper in place and is operating in sensor only mode.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Curiosity got the better of me, Sun is shining rain stopped at last so...... All wires are correct checked, Remove jumper and leave sensor tracks joined up, nice spark I can see it from 8 foot away in daylight , control Station trips. remove sensor track wires from Massoth but leave track as is with both gaps in each rail. I can not see a spark...no trip...I can go as slow as I want any slower and the Loco will stop due to lack of juice. No hesitation as it passes over the joins at any speed which I was also getting. I suppose it has to be a faulty module ? the sensor wires all look OK so don't think its a faulty wire but not got any long enough to replace them to see if that makes a difference.

Not tried the track cleaner yet but I am sure it will pass through the loop now with no problems now, thanks for all the suggestions, there was nothing worse than climbing round the back of a bush to retrieve a Loco so you can reset the system while telling the dog its not a game of hide and seek , stay there :)

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Surely sounds like the short circuit detection mode does not work properly, especially since the sensor mode does work, and as far as I can tell, the short circuit detection mode is sort of a backup to the sensor mode which should change first, since the sensors are reached before the short should occur (the sensors should not make a short circuit).

What is changed now that the original sensor mode now works and did not apparently work before?

Greg

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy, what mode are you operating in?

Apparently jumper in: autoreversing initiated by sensor tracks.
jumper out: sensor tracks and short circuit detection will cause reversing

Greg
I've not changed any settings on my 2 units, so it'll be what ever the default is....

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Surely sounds like the short circuit detection mode does not work properly, especially since the sensor mode does work, and as far as I can tell, the short circuit detection mode is sort of a backup to the sensor mode which should change first, since the sensors are reached before the short should occur (the sensors should not make a short circuit).

What is changed now that the original sensor mode now works and did not apparently work before?

Greg

Nothing changed, same layout the only diffrence is the LGB rail joiners have all been replaced with massoth screw versions to make it harder to romove my free floating track, as some little thieves tried to nick some of it at the very start of this year. The reverse unit lives inside a building but I can remove it easy if the weather gets really bad which I have done on a couple of occasions as its on two waterproof plug connectors inside the building. It has run fine with the sensor tracks connected and the jumper in since it was first installed approx 2+ years ago until the last couple of months I got the occasional trip but thought nothing off it. It was only when I bought and started using the track cleaner a slow moving Loco that it became apparent it would trip on any slow moving engines not just the track cleaner. It was originally just running with the sensor tracks and the jumper in, now no sensor tracks and jumper removed.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I'm revisiting this thread because my reverse loop module failed to swap and system shorted today when I was running a Ge 6/6 II. I realized this same loco seemed to have caused the occasional shorts before. The module failed to operate about four other times in the past. I thought it may have been dirty sensor track segments, but the track looked pretty clean today. I then remembered that this loco has traction tires on the leading wheel-sets on both ends. I'm theorizing that the wheel failed to trigger the sensor because the traction tire was insulating it somehow from the sensor segment. As soon as the leading wheel-set cleared the sensor segment the system shorted when the wheels on the other side of the loco bridged the opposite polarity rails.

I swapped the wheel-sets on both ends of the loco so the bare metal wheels will always be the first to hit the sensor segments. I ran the loco through the reverser about a dozen times without another failure.

Needless to say, I'll pay close attention to see if the wheel-set swap does indeed seem to have solved the problem.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Could be a nice bit of detective work?

Thanks for the update.

PhilP.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Earlier in the thread, I stated that the testing showed that the short circuit detection part did not work. You can re-read that part and see those tests (short circuit only detection) failed.

So, your current results are in line with that theory, so by making the sensor detection worked as "soon" as possible, it seems to work.

I'd still state that at least the short circuit detection part of the system is not functioning. It could be that limitations in power and wiring are such that the short circuit does not draw enough to trip, but the previous tests showed the short was enough to trip the breaker in the booster.

Greg

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Earlier in the thread, I stated that the testing showed that the short circuit detection part did not work.

I agree. LGB-Sid's reverser short circuit detection is probably not working correctly. Mine was still set for "sensor only" so not surprised the short shut the my system down.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The wheelset swap did not cure the occasional failure of my sensor operated LGB reverse loop module to swap polarity. Today I removed the short sensing jumper. This should cause the module to swap polarity if a short is detected as a fallback to sensor detection. It is interesting that it is always the same sensor segments on one branch of my wye that fail to trip. I need to check the integrity of the wire connections. Will do this tomorrow.