Time to Open the Next Chapter

3Bird

Registered
11 Dec 2019
Maine, USA
Best answers
I recently (well a couple years ago) inherited my old LGBs from when I was kid c.1974. For the past couple years, they have come out just for Christmas. I've been wanting to 1) add a 2nd locomotive and some aesthetic details for the Christmas layout and, 2) design up a garden layout. I'm hoping these forums will both educate and inspire!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the slippery slope! You'll get all the help you need here, and hopefully you'll be able to contribute with your knowledge. And of course you'll need a sense of humour, the puns can be appalling

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
And of course you'll need a sense of humour, the puns can be appalling
They are not that good:)
welcome, but more importantly what do we call you - 3bird

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome indeed mr ? As Jimmy says nice to have a first name. But I sit ok with Dunny. Though below you can see I am a John (JonD).

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome '3Bird'!

You may well think "You Brits!" about the jokes, but there are quite a few people who rock-up here from your side of the pond.. :):nod:

Have a look-see in the Media section(s) and browse a few of the galleries there..

Give us an idea of what/where you are heading with your rail(way)road, and we can offer advice.
Enjoy!

PhilP.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
WELCOME ABOARD

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome. Plenty of help available here. Doesn't matter how you style yourself. Max

3Bird

Registered
11 Dec 2019
Maine, USA
Best answers
They are not that good:)
welcome, but more importantly what do we call you - 3bird
Three Bird Farm is the name of our farm, and the future location of the Three Bird Garden RR! :)

3Bird

Registered
11 Dec 2019
Maine, USA
Best answers
Welcome '3Bird'!

You may well think "You Brits!" about the jokes, but there are quite a few people who rock-up here from your side of the pond.. :):nod:

Have a look-see in the Media section(s) and browse a few of the galleries there..

Give us an idea of what/where you are heading with your rail(way)road, and we can offer advice.
Enjoy!

PhilP.

I lived on your side of the bond for quite a few years (north of the border though), so I do enjoy the special brand of jokes and puns. :)

I was given an LGB set when I was 4 years old, and it was returned to me a couple years ago in my (and its) 40s. I sure wish I had taken better care of them when I was young, but they were the focal point of much of my childhood play.

For the past couple years, I've had them out at Christmas only with just a simple oval and siding. I have two immediate goals 1) add a car, some accessories (e.g., crossing, signal, building, etc.) and (maybe) a new locomotive for this Christmas, and 2) begin to repair and enhance (e.g., replace/add lights) the cars I have. The longer term goal is to begin to plan a garden railway and maybe get some track down this spring.

Associated with the first goal, I find catenary really appealing. I was thinking about having a longer straight track adjacent to my oval this year that would run a small engine (maybe an LGB 2030 Electric), streetcar or trolly on catenary so I could get a feel for it. That may, however, just be a pipe dream.

Anyway, those are my thoughts at the moment. Thanks for the warm welcome!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Three Bird Farm is the name of our farm, and the future location of the Three Bird Garden RR! :)

'3Bird' it is then..

Will have to 'fish' for anything else! ;)

It will be interesting to see developments on the Railroad..

3Bird

Registered
11 Dec 2019
Maine, USA
Best answers
You can call me Ret or 3Bird or "Hey You!" :)

SophieB

Registered
24 Sep 2017
Elizabeth City, NC, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the club. I lived in Maine for a couple years, I have to imagine that the garden railroading season is a bit short up there.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome. I have a Florida friend who lives in Maine and runs modern trains in his garden. I also communicate with Eric Schade, who volunteers on the WW&F and makes gorgeous models of Maine 2-footers [as we call them] using 7/8ths scale and live steam.

3Bird

Registered
11 Dec 2019
Maine, USA
Best answers
Welcome to the club. I lived in Maine for a couple years, I have to imagine that the garden railroading season is a bit short up there.

Not if you run a railway wedge plow or rotary plow! ;-)

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome '3Bird'!

...... there are quite a few people who rock-up here from your side of the pond.. :):nod:

Don't worry about them, it's those blasted Colonials t'other side of the Equator you have to worry about. Let's start on a friendly footing, shall we, ah, Giday!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Don't worry about them, it's those blasted Colonials t'other side of the Equator you have to worry about. Let's start on a friendly footing, shall we, ah, Giday!
All very well you going on about them in the States, we have a few of em over here.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hello, and welcome