About time to say hello

Cobalt6700

Registered
2 Jul 2020
UK - Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

I have been lurking here for a couple of years now, thought it was about time to say hello and share a bit of background on my model railway experience.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer by trade and have always had an interest in electronics.

I started on OO when I was still in single digits and steadily built up (by means of xmas and b'day presents) a 'standard Hornby' layout on a board in the spare room. Still like OO and have recently started to have a go with DCC and JMRI, no layout as yet, but the workbench is perfect for a temporary shunting yard.

One of my good buddies is also into model railway and was bought a LGB starter set when he was young. His old man always wanted to build a garden railway together, Unfortuently he passed before they got to do that.

Summer 2019, my friend decided to put some track down in his garden on the grass with the little bit of track he owned. We had that DC layout down for a week or so.
I really enjoyed it, and that's where it started. I fully blame him for my now love of LGB (he is okay with that).

Early 2020, he decided he wanted to build something that was going to last a bit longer, maybe a few months. He bought some more track to make it happen. My thinking was if that was the case, then we needed a way of controlling the points and being able to drive more than one Loco on a single road without using DCC (at the time, with the little I understood about DCC, it looked incredibly expensive and possibly unreliable outside). Here starts the real journey.
With the UK now in lockdown I decided that I needed a loco to prototype on and some track to test with. I found myself a cheap LGB 2080D that needed some work and some cheap ish second hand track.

Working around the lockdowns we managed to plan and build the layout in his garden, and have a few good weekends running.
There is a video from the 2020 layout here:

The first temporary layout was a great success. We learnt a lot, including that grass is bad for track power.
I hacked a 6CH RC radio set to have 14CH (FS-i6) and we controlled 3D printed servo point motors
directly from that. Setting end points was a painful process, and we had some issues with the length of the wires, but generally it worked okay.
The locos were controlled with the same brand of radio, again hacked to give more channels, and fitted with Arduinos on protoboard to decode and interface with
motor controllers, Mylocosound cards, smoke units and lighting. In total, I converted 4 locos to trackpower/RC.

With the lockdowns continuing, we both had spare time on our hands, and this lead to planning the 2021 layout and stock. We were both properly hooked on it now, and this lead to me buying another loco, an LGB 2040, which I kitted out with the next iteration of my loco controller - enabling homebrew servo pantographs, servo couplers, PWM light control and sound via Mylocosound. I also designed and 3D printed a copy of the LGB low loader.

I upgraded the control system massively, building loads of custom control PCB's, a differential I2C network, servo controlled semaphore signals and LED light signals.
There is a fairly long explanation video on that system:

My buddy did the videos from last years layout, you can find them here:

Which brings us to 2022. I bought myself another 2 Locos, a 23900 with LGB remote couplers and a 21151 which needs some TLC, and have designed and prototyped my own radio controller which
can drive both DC motor board locos and DCC decoder Locos, from either track or battery power.

I have recently picked up a load of overtime and bought myself enough track to build a permanent way in my garden. I've already made a good start on that, I am aiming to post some updates on that here, including info / updates on my projects.

Reading this forum has provided me with lots of help and ideas so far - I would like to pass on my thanks and hope to give some back (if I can).

The G Scale playlist on my Youtube details most of my adventures: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQHBg8nLPer7VFqi9FgTIq1Om84hMreQj.

TLDR - I recently got into G scale and it's great.

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good - and so much space, lucky you!

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome on board. You'll be teaching us a thing or two! :)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. You seem to had a good start, so all good. Just beware of the appalling jokes and puns! Where abouts are you based, roughly?

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. You seem to had a good start, so all good. Just beware of the appalling jokes and puns! Where abouts are you based, roughly?
What make you think he is based roughly ;)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

I have been lurking here for a couple of years now, thought it was about time to say hello and share a bit of background on my model railway experience.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer by trade and have always had an interest in electronics.

I started on OO when I was still in single digits and steadily built up (by means of xmas and b'day presents) a 'standard Hornby' layout on a board in the spare room. Still like OO and have recently started to have a go with DCC and JMRI, no layout as yet, but the workbench is perfect for a temporary shunting yard.

One of my good buddies is also into model railway and was bought a LGB starter set when he was young. His old man always wanted to build a garden railway together, Unfortuently he passed before they got to do that.

Summer 2019, my friend decided to put some track down in his garden on the grass with the little bit of track he owned. We had that DC layout down for a week or so.
I really enjoyed it, and that's where it started. I fully blame him for my now love of LGB (he is okay with that).

Early 2020, he decided he wanted to build something that was going to last a bit longer, maybe a few months. He bought some more track to make it happen. My thinking was if that was the case, then we needed a way of controlling the points and being able to drive more than one Loco on a single road without using DCC (at the time, with the little I understood about DCC, it looked incredibly expensive and possibly unreliable outside). Here starts the real journey.
With the UK now in lockdown I decided that I needed a loco to prototype on and some track to test with. I found myself a cheap LGB 2080D that needed some work and some cheap ish second hand track.

Working around the lockdowns we managed to plan and build the layout in his garden, and have a few good weekends running.

The first temporary layout was a great success. We learnt a lot, including that grass is bad for track power.
I hacked a 6CH RC radio set to have 14CH (FS-i6) and we controlled 3D printed servo point motors
directly from that. Setting end points was a painful process, and we had some issues with the length of the wires, but generally it worked okay.
The locos were controlled with the same brand of radio, again hacked to give more channels, and fitted with Arduinos on protoboard to decode and interface with
motor controllers, Mylocosound cards, smoke units and lighting. In total, I converted 4 locos to trackpower/RC.

With the lockdowns continuing, we both had spare time on our hands, and this lead to planning the 2021 layout and stock. We were both properly hooked on it now, and this lead to me buying another loco, an LGB 2040, which I kitted out with the next iteration of my loco controller - enabling homebrew servo pantographs, servo couplers, PWM light control and sound via Mylocosound. I also designed and 3D printed a copy of the LGB low loader.

I upgraded the control system massively, building loads of custom control PCB's, a differential I2C network, servo controlled semaphore signals and LED light signals.

Which brings us to 2022. I bought myself another 2 Locos, a 23900 with LGB remote couplers and a 21151 which needs some TLC, and have designed and prototyped my own radio controller which
can drive both DC motor board locos and DCC decoder Locos, from either track or battery power.

I have recently picked up a load of overtime and bought myself enough track to build a permanent way in my garden. I've already made a good start on that, I am aiming to post some updates on that here, including info / updates on my projects.

Reading this forum has provided me with lots of help and ideas so far - I would like to pass on my thanks and hope to give some back (if I can).

The G Scale playlist on my Youtube details most of my adventures: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQHBg8nLPer7VFqi9FgTIq1Om84hMreQj.

Welcome to the forum, though is that necessary as you have been lurking for a while now?

However your point control system using RC components is of great interest and indeed a way of getting a lot of points on one unti. I think there have been some questions by others here about such use but my thoughts were that it may be of limited value, but with your mods a fairly extensive station can be operated from one unit.

My question is, could more than one unit operate say 2 or 3 or more stations by having one for each with obviously a separate TX/Rx for each station effectively to be used as separate Signal Boxes. As Digital RC is used for Planes, Boats and Cars the the uniqueness of each RC is paramount so I imagine the answer would be yes? But I am interested to know, not that I would be doing it for myself but others may well be interested.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, though is that necessary as you have been lurking for a while now?

However your point control system using RC components is of great interest and indeed a way of getting a lot of points on one unti. I think there have been some questions by others here about such use but my thoughts were that it may be of limited value, but with your mods a fairly extensive station can be operated from one unit.

My question is, could more than one unit operate say 2 or 3 or more stations by having one for each with obviously a separate TX/Rx for each station effectively to be used as separate Signal Boxes. As Digital RC is used for Planes, Boats and Cars the the uniqueness of each RC is paramount so I imagine the answer would be yes? But I am interested to know, not that I would be doing it for myself but others may well be interested.
As Jon as pointed (no pun intended ;)) out it is very interesting, and the vids show it in action, but how does it work, more specific details would be appreciated.

Cobalt6700

Registered
2 Jul 2020
UK - Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good - and so much space, lucky you!
Thanks - this is my friends old place - we would both love to have that much land for a railway!
Welcome on board. You'll be teaching us a thing or two! :)
Thanks - Always happy to try and help :)

Cheers, yeah COVID definitely helped with that. I'm not so good at making them, but I do enjoy them ;) Oxfordshire, so not so rough :p

Thanks, still appreciated :)

Good to hear - my base idea was to do it as easy as I could. Yes - basically 14 channels of control is the most I have squeezed out of a FS-i6. This translates to more than 14 Points.

Yup - just that. I'm not sure of what the actual maximum number of RC Tx/Rx sets in one place, but it is well north of 100, so 2 or 3 would be no problems.

As Jon as pointed (no pun intended ;)) out it is very interesting, and the vids show it in action, but how does it work, more specific details would be appreciated.

Nice :D - I'm happy to break this topic out into its own thread and expand on the workings of.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum!

I look forwards to seeing your railway progress....

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome and thanks for sharing your G scale videos. Just watched the first one and look forward to seeing the others.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome and thanks for sharing your G scale videos. Just watched the first one and look forward to seeing the others.
Hi all,

Have to agree very interesting to see the vids of a line set out in a very simple and quick way. A pretty level lawn is ideal for this such as you have.

Just one small point though, the speed of the trains was somewhat over the top. Just look at the 2-6-2 99-6001 and Stainz with the wheels a whirr. On the Harz in Germany where 6001 runs its max speed is 20kph and the trains it runs are timed to that, Stainz may be similarly limited though 35kph may be a top speed allowable. Just a thought and the trains when run slower clearly take longer to circumnavigate your line, much more enjoyable. Though the kids when present will always ask can they go faster?

Cobalt6700

Registered
2 Jul 2020
UK - Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Have to agree very interesting to see the vids of a line set out in a very simple and quick way. A pretty level lawn is ideal for this such as you have.

Just one small point though, the speed of the trains was somewhat over the top. Just look at the 2-6-2 99-6001 and Stainz with the wheels a whirr. On the Harz in Germany where 6001 runs its max speed is 20kph and the trains it runs are timed to that, Stainz may be similarly limited though 35kph may be a top speed allowable. Just a thought and the trains when run slower clearly take longer to circumnavigate your line, much more enjoyable. Though the kids when present will always ask can they go faster?
My friend having a massive flat lawn in his old house was indeed, brilliant. We laid the line and had the first loco run round in 4 days - however getting the controls built, installed and commissioned took quite a bit longer, maybe 8 days over weekends.

Yup - there was a definite need for speed :D. My garden is tiny compared to that, and his new garden is too - we put down around 160m of track in the latest videos, my garden is good for 12m, so I would say scale speeds are going to be a must :)

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Fascinating video showing the RC control systems. Really like the way you've got so much out of the fourteen channels and the sequencing and interlocking of signals and points.

As others have said (well implied rather than explicitly stated), would enjoy seeing an Idiots' Guide to the way you've set everything up. The video gave us a flavour but some of the terminology is new to me.

Rik

Cobalt6700

Registered
2 Jul 2020
UK - Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Fascinating video showing the RC control systems. Really like the way you've got so much out of the fourteen channels and the sequencing and interlocking of signals and points.

As others have said (well implied rather than explicitly stated), would enjoy seeing an Idiots' Guide to the way you've set everything up. The video gave us a flavour but some of the terminology is new to me.

Rik

Thanks Rik :)

As requested, I have made a start on that thread here: Using RC Tx / Rx sending data to an Arduino as a wireless signal box (FSi6)