Hi from the Kansas City area

twister25f

Registered
4 May 2023
Kansas City
Best answers
Country flag
I wanted to say hi and thank you for adding me. I do a little bit of everything scale-wise including G scale. I actually have a model train store in the KC area and do a fair amount of repairs including G scale and hoped to get your expertise from time to time with some of those that are making me pull my hair out (and I don't have much to begin with!). That said I'm a sucker for anything Florence & Cripple Creek and have most of the Bachmann G scale line they've done along with every Bachmann Big Hauler Victor Gold Mining gondola I come across. Also picked up a Spectrum C-19 I'm hoping to repaint for F&CC if I can ever find someone to do decals for it. Anyway, I've included a couple photos below of an LGB dealer display layout I picked up a few months ago that I have running in my store along with our Christmas tree layout I built almost 10 years ago with a G scale loop on the bottom. It's due for an overhaul but it's been running every Christmas since 2014. Anyway thanks again! Cheers!

Fred

Attachments

• lgb1.jpg
    lgb1.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 0
  • lgb2.jpg
    lgb2.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 0
  • christmas1.jpg
    christmas1.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 0

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, Fred. Looks a fun Chr*stm*s layout. Do you mean you own a shop? That could be useful for some of the Americans on here

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
You were lucky to get hold of that LGB Shop Display, presumably at the sad closing of a dealer somewhere in your neck of the woods? Oh welcome to the mad house.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Fred, as mentioned, you need to be wary of the humour.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Greetings Fred!
Good to have you aboard!

PhilP

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Fred!

It's a long time since I was in KC, and I didn't realise there was a model shop there either....

twister25f

Registered
4 May 2023
Kansas City
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, Fred. Looks a fun Chr*stm*s layout. Do you mean you own a shop? That could be useful for some of the Americans on here
Thanks! Yes I own a shop here called Fred's Train Shop. There's 4 train stores in the Kansas City area but we're the only ones that carry any larger scales like G, O & S (but still have Z, N, HO & TT).

twister25f

Registered
4 May 2023
Kansas City
Best answers
Country flag
You were lucky to get hold of that LGB Shop Display, presumably at the sad closing of a dealer somewhere in your neck of the woods? Oh welcome to the mad house.
Surprisingly it came from Tulsa, OK from a guy that used to have an LGB store in New Jersey back in the 80's & 90's I guess. He moved to Oklahoma along with all of his inventory then never did much with it. Sat in his garage hanging above his car for years (hence the eyelets on the corners). Kind of surprised it has lasted all that time and is still in nice shape though the decals on the sides are a bit worn.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Surprisingly it came from Tulsa, OK from a guy that used to have an LGB store in New Jersey back in the 80's & 90's I guess. He moved to Oklahoma along with all of his inventory then never did much with it. Sat in his garage hanging above his car for years (hence the eyelets on the corners). Kind of surprised it has lasted all that time and is still in nice shape though the decals on the sides are a bit worn.
Did it take you 24 hours to drive there?

twister25f

Registered
4 May 2023
Kansas City
Best answers
Country flag
Did it take you 24 hours to drive there?
From KC it was 4 hours each way to Tulsa. Could have been worse. We just missed a 150' wind turbine blade falling off its trailer on the highway. Traffic was backed up 5+ miles on the way back.

Technocrat

Mostly Retired?
18 Feb 2022
De Graff Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
From KC it was 4 hours each way to Tulsa. Could have been worse. We just missed a 150' wind turbine blade falling off its trailer on the highway. Traffic was backed up 5+ miles on the way back.
Sounds about right. There seem to be a bunch of them on I-49.

Are you on the Kansas side or Missouri?
I am down by Wichita. Our best shop got out of G a few years back.
Do you do any mail order?

twister25f

Registered
4 May 2023
Kansas City
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds about right. There seem to be a bunch of them on I-49.

Are you on the Kansas side or Missouri?
I am down by Wichita. Our best shop got out of G a few years back.
Do you do any mail order?
We're on the Kansas side in Overland Park. We actually get quite a few people from Wichita now. We ship stuff all the time but we don't have a website you can order from. We're working on it ...slowly ...but we stay pretty busy from walk-in traffic. Best thing is to just call or email with what you're looking for. Anyway here's some of what we have...

Attachments

• gscale.jpg
    gscale.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 0

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Traffic was backed up 5+ miles on the way back.
5 miles? That's nothing! Try driving down the A1 in the mornings, only 5 miles of queuing would be pleasure.

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
I am sort of close to the busiest highway in North America. The 401. Parts are 12 lanes wide. I think it is fine for the most part. I sometimes use the app to see if there are any problems ahead. Welcome aboard.