Thomas at the End of the Line

kedwards

Caving, Garden Railways & more caving. Fan of TTTE
1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
wychboldandstokepriorrailway.blogspot.co.uk
Best answers
A new episode of Thomas and his friends adventures on the Sandwell Valley Railway in which the line is threatened with closure.

Reactions: 8 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Wow, new heights reached again with the number of live people, the great shots from the viaduct and through the bridge, and the great use of wet weather and the reflections on the platform.

AND WHAT A CLIFFHANGER!

WILL THE LINE BE REOPENED?

SHOULD A PETITION BE STARTED ON CHANGE.ORG TO SAVE THE LINE?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
What's worse, did you see the way that James jolted as his wheels smacked the 'orrible check rail on that LGB R3 point?

I fail to understand why LGB haven't done something about it.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
What's worse, did you see the way that James jolted as his wheels smacked the 'orrible check rail on that LGB R3 point?

Yes, I noticed that.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
What a video - demonstates how excellence can be excelled! Fantastic shots and editing. WOW.

When I saw the title of the the post, I hoped that you were not giving up making these videos! Looking forward to Part Two!

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
What a video - demonstates how excellence can be excelled! Fantastic shots and editing. WOW.

When I saw the title of the the post, I hoped that you were not giving up making these videos! Looking forward to Part Two!

Yes, I felt the same - my heart, as they say, dropped.

Reactions: 1 user

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
Absolutely brilliant :)

kedwards

1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
Best answers
Thanks for all of the great comments. This has been a bit of an epic project. I took the first shots on 18th January and the final edit was completed yesterday so it has taken nearly 7 weeks. It's dry today and I have a couple of hours spare this morning so I'm hoping to start filming part 2. I'm afraid that I cannot drop any hints about how the story will end.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for all of the great comments. This has been a bit of an epic project. I took the first shots on 18th January and the final edit was completed yesterday so it has taken nearly 7 weeks. It's dry today and I have a couple of hours spare this morning so I'm hoping to start filming part 2. I'm afraid that I cannot drop any hints about how the story will end.

Nor should you!
Too many 'spoilers' in the movies these days!!
:eek::clap::clap:

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
CLOSURE??? This is an outrage. I shall be telephoning my MP!!!

(as if that would make any difference)

Cracking flick BTW :)

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag

Because its a Bachmann

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Because its a Bachmann
Nah, LGB locos do the same.

I do find it rather disappointing - one of the simple pleasures in life is to watch a loco trundle through the points, and then suddenly :punch: it jolts sideways as the flange hits the check rail - nothing to do with the frog. I spent a long time trying to work out what was happening with my first loco which was an LGB fat boy Pennsylvania 2-4-0, and after a lot of investigation, found that it was because the check rail is too short. Got rid of the LGB R3 points.

Doesn't happen with Aristo 10 footers, and I don't think it happens with the smaller radii in LGB, because the check rails are longer.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
NO.... not another Beeching cut..

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
NO.... not another Beeching cut..

The unkindest cut of all..... (Goons, Monty Python... one of those, didn't make up that saying myself).

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Nah, LGB locos do the same.

I do find it rather disappointing - one of the simple pleasures in life is to watch a loco trundle through the points, and then suddenly :punch: it jolts sideways as the flange hits the check rail - nothing to do with the frog. I spent a long time trying to work out what was happening with my first loco which was an LGB fat boy Pennsylvania 2-4-0, and after a lot of investigation, found that it was because the check rail is too short. Got rid of the LGB R3 points.

Doesn't happen with Aristo 10 footers, and I don't think it happens with the smaller radii in LGB, because the check rails are longer.
Slight thread drift here I fear. I use LGB R3 in one of my Stations and my Fiddle Yard and have not realy noticed this problem, but it could account for the occasional unacountable derailment that is only noticed once a Train emerges from the Shed and the afforementioned through Fiddle Yard. I now have a focus on investigations into these derailments.

Closure of thread drift and to say that I am enormously looking forwards to part 2 of the exiting Closure Drama. Oh and I send the link of your Films to a friend who has 2 Grandkids that also enjoy your efforts. Though I Suspect that there will be Tears till part 2 is issued!
JonD

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
Now it just happens I have two grandsons named Thomas and James :think:...and after watching the movie above:D...well what more excuse does one need...:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: a Thomas and James loco ordered:blush: but now I have a problem there is also a little girl called Zoe...:think:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Now it just happens I have two grandsons named Thomas and James :think:...and after watching the movie above:D...well what more excuse does one need...:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: a Thomas and James loco ordered:blush: but now I have a problem there is also a little girl called Zoe...:think:
You'll have to do what the current writers are doing, and make something up - a sister engine to Toby?

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
What a great film !! I could never get my Bachmann Thomas to run as smoothly as yours. oddly, my Lionel Thomas tracks better, although it lacks the presence of the Bachmann version.

I'd love to know a bit more about how you edited the video and how you inserted real live figures into it.

kedwards

1 Jan 2011
Bromsgrove
Best answers
What a great film !! I could never get my Bachmann Thomas to run as smoothly as yours. oddly, my Lionel Thomas tracks better, although it lacks the presence of the Bachmann version.
I'd love to know a bit more about how you edited the video and how you inserted real live figures into it.

Hi Dan,
I could never get Thomas to run smoothly from track power so I converted him to battery operation and radio control.
The video was edited using Final Cut Pro on an Apple Mac. The live people are added using a green screen technique. They are filmed against a green cloth background. In the edit the green colour becomes transparent. Each person or group were filmed separately and then the scene was built up in layers. The only how I did it video is The Making of Thomas to the Rescue. This shows some of the techniques I use.

Thanks again everyone for the great comments. They are appreciated. I'm just sorry that my track work has offended so many people.