The Ochsenwaldbahn II, it all starts again.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
This resulted in the lawn mower crossing being a couple of inches higher than I wanted - it will need some fill to level it out - it needs to be level to get the cutting plate over the tracks cleanly.
Then on to extending. The left side of the garden in rather lower than the rest and I need a 22 yard viaduct (or something).
DSCF2119 (Small).JPG DSCF2127 (Small).JPG DSCF2129 (Small).JPG

Reactions: 1 users

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Running last night whilst I was fitting Aristo fishplate screws!
DSCF2135 (Small).JPG

The 'heavy load' is an old whisky presentation box. I think it looks better than the original three cable drums - they never looked heavy enough to me.

DSCF2140 (Small).JPG DSCF2145 (Small).JPG

Reactions: 5 users

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
and last nights play. The Piko Rotkamel with power buffer because the wheels are carp.Runs great now.
DSCF2150 (Small).JPG DSCF2159 (Small).JPG DSCF2153 (Small).JPG

Reactions: 3 users

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Power buffer - Bit of electronics with some capacitors in, these store charge, so when dirty track interrupts power (or cr*ppy wheels in this case) it keeps the loco moving with the stored power.

Reactions: 1 user

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Power buffer - Bit of electronics with some capacitors in, these store charge, so when dirty track interrupts power (or cr*ppy wheels in this case) it keeps the loco moving with the stored power.
Thanks, thought it would be something like that to keep the momentum.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just found this,impressed,looking great so far:cool::cool:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I tried a bit of 'site surveying last night..
Amazing how much fall there is on the garden..
Hummmm.....
Can I get a military-grade laser-level?? - Would be so much easier than plank, spirit-level, and hammer..
Could just hammer the stakes in, then 'laser' them off level! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Would cure next-doors new conifers being too close to the fence-line as well!! :devil::devil::devil:

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
You can hire this sort of laser level DSCF1505 (Small).JPG kit

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hummmm.....
Can I get a military-grade laser-level?? - Would be so much easier than plank, spirit-level, and hammer..
Could just hammer the stakes in, then 'laser' them off level! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Would cure next-doors new conifers being too close to the fence-line as well!! :devil::devil::devil:

If you get one, just don't plug it into a 13-amp socket..... :rofl:

I recall reading a few years ago that a US experimental anti-aircraft laser mounted on an M1 tank chassis needed a second M1 chassis following along behind with the power supply (and a bl**dy great cable connecting the two....)

Swerving back on-topic for a moment, I concur with the need for a power buffer in an old-type Piko HarzKamel - mine came secondhand from Germany with an Uhlenbrock sound decoder and a nice big power buffer already installed, and despite its old-style unplated wheels I've never had a problem with the running of it; of course the newer ones, like all Piko offerings now, have plated wheels which has got over the problem anyway, but if you have an older model then a buffer is probably cheaper than the other option, which is replacing both power bogies....

Jon.

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work Alan.
How much bigger is the new circuit ?

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
This will be nearly 400 ft Paul. I think the original was under 100.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hummmm.....

Phil,
You just recently missed a rather nice little Laser Lever in Lidl or was it Aldi? Less than a tenner.
JonD

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Phil,
You just recently missed a rather nice little Laser Lever in Lidl or was it Aldi? Less than a tenner.
JonD

I am always worried the tools in Lidl / Aldi are not going to be of a very great quality? - I have bought some things which were rubbish!

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I am always worried the tools in Lidl / Aldi are not going to be of a very great quality? - I have bought some things which were rubbish!

The stuff that they sell isn't really bad at all - and generally it all has a good guarantee. Power tools are very good - I've had a compressor from Aldi for nearly 17 years now - nailing, spraying, tyre inflation etc.

If the tools that you buy are to be used six days a week then maybe it would be worth considering brand leaders. Being a Tyke, I always reckon that for general messing around why waste your money when the stuff might be sitting on the shelf for months on end?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I have an Aldi's very close to home.

I've brought various tools, particularly for the garden. They all seem to be of good quality and very good value too....

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have an Aldi's very close to home.

I've brought various tools, particularly for the garden. They all seem to be of good quality and very good value too....
Yip, have an Aldi (or Lidl - can't remember) chop saw and Li-on hand drill; both OK for DIY needs and cheaper than the usual suspects :nod::nod::nod:

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
These offers at Aldi/Lidl are job lots that they buy in cheap - hence the great price. They may be surplus stock, end of runs, bankruptcy etc. Thats why they only appear for a few days and are often never repeated. So the quality will differ depending on the batch purchased. I think these super markets value their reputation, so they dont buy in the real carp.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I can show you some *really* nasty 'HSS' drill bits!
You should not be able to bend a drill-bit!!!

Reactions: 1 users