The New LGB P42 Genesis

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Having seen the video below,

Should LGB be doing better. I have one on order, and to be honest, for the price tag, was expecting an amazing sound system to go with it. However the locomotive sounds nothing at all like a real P42 Genesis, and actually sounds exactly like my older LGB SD40, albeit with a different horn etc. Surely it should sound different.....?

If PIKO can go to the effort to record the real NOHAB sounds of their new locomotive, why oh why, can the supposedly superior and premium brand of Marklin LGB not do the same?

Very, very poor, given it's brand new and bringing a price tag of around £1400. It's made me seriously consider cancelling my order. Purely based on it not sounding anything like the real thing, or even different from the SD40 also by LGB.

Thoughts?

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
can you not buy a second hand one (£500-600), then spend the difference on a new dcc sound systems from someone like ESU, for a price they and other manufactures of these systems can even put our own soundtrack on there.

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
can you not buy a second hand one (£500-600), then spend the difference on a new dcc sound systems from someone like ESU, for a price they and other manufactures of these systems can even put our own soundtrack on there.
It's worth thinking about, it's just that I really fancied the 50 Years anniversary one.

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
I have a 22490 with a Massoth XLS and Genesis P42 sound file. After hearing the ESU HIFI sound file I eventually picked up another 22490 to install a Loksound 5 XL and this sound file into.

I have it hooked up to Visaton FRS7 and 5.9SC speakers, and it sounds pretty incredible. I rarely run the Massoth-equipped one anymore because I just like the ESU version so much better. There are few sound files that other brands can beat over most ESU.

Reactions: 1 users

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
I have a 22490 with a Massoth XLS and Genesis P42 sound file. After hearing the ESU HIFI sound file I eventually picked up another 22490 to install a Loksound 5 XL and this sound file into.

I have it hooked up to Visaton FRS7 and 5.9SC speakers, and it sounds pretty incredible. I rarely run the Massoth-equipped one anymore because I just like the ESU version so much better. There are few sound files that other brands can beat over most ESU.
I have just purchased a loco in H0m scale that through a process of investigation I discovered has been fitted with a ESU sound unit, cant wait to try it out when it arrives as read good things.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The new versions do seem pricey. I di like the new paint, and corrected ‘red light’ issues.

I have 3 of the original lgb versions. Huge, heavy, impressive. A bit delicate…side mirrrors are particularly vulnerable.

Fwiw,
The snow plow should never be considered as functional.
The plastic is thin and brittle. The will break easily against either with snow or catching upon track. Replacement is expensive